Playtri
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 23s
Overall Rank = 49/129
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15 and at 2 pieces of toast along with some milk. Ate about half of an apple before I left at 5am. Heated up a breakfast sandwich and brought a banana because I knew I wouldn't be racing until about 8am.
Event warmup:

Nothing this time because I wasn't trying to do well for this race since I haven't been training for it.
Swim
  • 09m 36s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Everything on the swim was good because I wasn't going balls out. My breathing and form seemed to be excellent for the first 100 meters. I guess because I wasn't thinking about it. When my race jitters subsided (even though I wasn't taking this race seriously), I settled into a nice rythym. Except for rounding the buoys. I did fine, but most others almost come to a complete stop when rounding them and so I had to slow down as well. Kind of annoying.
Transition 1
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

Because I wasn't wearing a wetsuit I figured my T1 would be faster than most.
Bike
  • 47m 22s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Didn't want to go too hard and be dead for the run. Or even be cramping on the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

After racking my bike and changing shoes I started to get a side cramp. So I stood up for a few seconds trying to stretch it out. Made sure not to start out too hard on the run so my muscles could calm down.
Run
  • 24m 23s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 53s  min/km
Comments:

Went out at just the right pace. I think my first mile was right around 8 minutes. Because I wasn't trying to crush this race, I think that was a good pace. I didn't stop at any water stations and just cruised right along. Right at the half way point I was feeling really good and picked up the pace. I didn't have any particular goals in mind, but just felt good and wanted to run fast. The last 1.5 miles I steadily increased my pace and was feeling really good.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate 4 M&M cookeies (they tasted soo good) and drank a little water. Almost immediately went to transition to get my stuff and leave. Didn't stretch until I got back to the car.

Event comments:

Good race and can kinda get pricey if you don't register early. First time this race has been held in May instead of June and it turned out really well.

Last updated: 2016-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:36 | 500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/14
Overall: 64/129
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Triangle course
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:36
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:22 | 14 miles | 17.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/14
Overall: 54/129
Wind: Strong
Course: 2 loop course. Going out was a lot of uphill and into the wind. Averaged around 15mph. I was taking it easy for sure. Coming back was mostly downhill and with the wind and averaged around 25-28mph. It was a nice break. I did try to go a littler harder on the downhill sections to hopefully still be a little competitive.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:23 | 05 kms | 04m 53s  min/km
Age Group: 9/14
Overall: 47/129
Course: Out & back twice. Similar to bike course. Going out was against the wind with a tiny hill and coming back was with the wind.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-05-03 1:06 PM

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Subject: Playtri Festival Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Festival Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Playtri Festival - Sprint Triathlon

Started by Newtons1st
Views: 1502 Posts: 2

2011-06-15 7:29 PM bzgl40

Started by JBrashear
Views: 1457 Posts: 2

2010-08-24 11:03 PM jkron

Started by awebstertri
Views: 1272 Posts: 1

2010-07-13 4:08 PM awebstertri

Started by Rkhosla26
Views: 1469 Posts: 1

2010-06-07 11:23 PM Rkhosla26

Started by aggiebe
Views: 1794 Posts: 2

2010-06-07 12:04 PM Henze
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.