Badgerland Striders
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 59m 28s
Overall Rank = 26/250
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 8/
Pre-race routine:

Pasta feed and lots of fluids the night before. PB flat bread snack at 1:30 AM. Half Waffle, half banana, and lots of fluids at 6 AM. Race was at 8:15. Couple Chomps prior to race.
Event warmup:

5 min jog with Scott and Eric...conserving energy for the long haul.
Run
  • 4h 59m 28s
  • 50 kms
  • 05m 59s  min/km
Comments:

Training effort was a B-. Didnt' miss any runs, but was never really committed to a PR. Time of year training was challenging, and many runs were solo, or done from a hotel in FLA, Wausau, La X, Middleton, etc. It was great to experience the Ice Age Trail, and have some good friends to enjoy the weekend with...thats what makes it worth doing...couldn't imaging doing that race solo...I"m not that into it at this point...you reallly gotta want it deep down to go solo with the training and racing.
What would you do differently?:

Wish I felt a little better, but could have been much worse, my back was 100% fine and the cold held off, never really bonked during the race...my goal was to run the 50K minus the climbs and aid stations...check.

Only took one digger on a flat pine needle section when I toed a root...went down and summersaulted, but bounced right up...was a little worried about my shoulder, but all seems to be good.
Post race
Warm down:

freezing cold...it actually snowed during the race. Warm clothes, fire pit, each burger and cold pasta. Coke, then Beer. Couple of moms cookies. Watched E haul in the hardware and Scott/Ed finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, Diet, level of Committment, and desire to push myself to the limits.

Had an idea around 22 to break 5 hours...but thought I was 3-5 min out of reach...my Garmin was off, so I actually did break 5, glad I didn't bag it once I thought I would be over 5 hours.

Event comments:

This race is very well run and attended, I thought it might get a little cogensted out there, but after 1-2 miles, we were all very spread out....didn't care for the out and back section, than was odd running single track against other runners, but it was only for a mile or two. Nice variety, plenty of challenges, great support, runners from across the country...if I'm ever up for a real challenge, I'd consider going back.

Last updated: 2016-05-16 12:00 AM
Running
04:59:28 | 50 kms | 05m 59s  min/km
Age Group: 8/
Overall: 26/250
Performance: Good
No HR. first two miles were in the 8's, the rest were all 9's, a couple 10's with the hills.
Course: Rocky, Hilly, Roots for the first 12 (pretty much kept my head down to watch for loose rocks on this section) Single Track. then two 9 mile loops that were more grassy and rolling, but a 3 mile section of large rolling hills...steep ones that all needed to be walked. Good variety out there...some awesome scenery...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-05-16 9:00 AM

User image

Subject: Ice Age Trail 50k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ice Age Trail 50k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ice Age 50

Started by awseverson
Views: 714 Posts: 1

2010-05-13 5:22 PM awseverson

Black Warrior 50K Trail Run

Started by aemmom
Views: 1203 Posts: 2

2007-02-20 9:27 AM cadreamer

Frosty 50K Trail Race

Started by coachspencer
Views: 1522 Posts: 3

2006-01-11 5:59 AM Comet

Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Run - 50K

Started by grvfrog
Views: 1830 Posts: 5

2005-12-17 7:44 AM Comet

Sunmart Texas Trail Endurance Run (50K)

Started by shornick
Views: 2190 Posts: 5

2005-12-13 2:03 PM ghart2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix
date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?

date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : March 10, 2011
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : December 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.