General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training - Extra hours go to Strength/flexibility training OR more swim/bike/run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-05-20 11:29 PM

User image

Subject: IM training - Extra hours go to Strength/flexibility training OR more swim/bike/run

So I was thinking about this as I gear up for Madison. I plan to top out approx. around 15 hours per week in a few months. But I also figure if I feel healthy and relatively energetic that adding 2-3 hours per week of swim/bike/running I may just do it.

BUT I also feel that maybe I could benefit from yoga/pilates/strength training. So would I be better off (or do you think you would be better off) doing an extra 2-3 hours of race specific training or taking those 2-3 extra hours and do that ancillary stretch/strength training?

Since I know this is a very individualistic question and it depends on what ones needs/weaknesses are I am more curious about your general philosophy is to these two options.

2016-05-21 6:31 AM
in reply to: Tootshibbard

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: IM training - Extra hours go to Strength/flexibility training OR more swim/bike/run

Originally posted by Tootshibbard ... I am more curious about your general philosophy is to these two options.

My general philosophy is more strength training during the "off season" and focus on sport specific training during race specific builds.  So, if your body can handle more training stress, and still recover, during your training for IMMOO, spend it s/b/r.  For most people, that's going to be best spent on the bike, unless they're an especially week swimmer.

The exception to the above is someone who has a specific injury history or movement limitation that is best addressed through strength training.

A third option that's best for some people is to put the available time into sleeping.  The average AGer is more likely to struggle with recovery during IM training than they are likely to simply have extra time available for training.  Don't forget that improving fitness requires both training stress and recovery from that training.

2016-05-22 1:43 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: IM training - Extra hours go to Strength/flexibility training OR more swim/bike/run

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by Tootshibbard ... I am more curious about your general philosophy is to these two options.

My general philosophy is more strength training during the "off season" and focus on sport specific training during race specific builds.  So, if your body can handle more training stress, and still recover, during your training for IMMOO, spend it s/b/r.  For most people, that's going to be best spent on the bike, unless they're an especially week swimmer.

The exception to the above is someone who has a specific injury history or movement limitation that is best addressed through strength training.

A third option that's best for some people is to put the available time into sleeping.  The average AGer is more likely to struggle with recovery during IM training than they are likely to simply have extra time available for training.  Don't forget that improving fitness requires both training stress and recovery from that training.

In addition to sleep, how about: read a book, watch TV, spend time with friends, remember your kids and significant other exist, walk the dog, sit in the park and people watch.  You know, normal life things also known as "recovery time".

2016-05-22 2:15 PM
in reply to: Tootshibbard

User image

If you do all the prescribed workouts and have extra free time (which has never ever happened to me during Ironman training) my recommendation would be to yes include some extra stretching and strength workouts. Pilates in my opinion is really great.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training - Extra hours go to Strength/flexibility training OR more swim/bike/run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Strength Training during IM training

Started by Runn234
Views: 1014 Posts: 1

2010-05-19 9:46 AM Runn234

Strength Training and IM training

Started by goobergirl98
Views: 1501 Posts: 5

2010-03-29 11:33 AM JorgeM

Ironman 70.3 training - 5 hours bike ride vs 3 hours bike ride and 2 hours run

Started by Butcher
Views: 4801 Posts: 17

2009-07-27 11:25 AM jasonnance

How to coordinate strength training with swim/bike/run work outs

Started by Tri_Kor
Views: 3083 Posts: 11

2008-05-18 8:00 PM Benskull

Using Pilates for Strength/Weight Training/Balance/Flexibility!!!

Started by waterbaby
Views: 1573 Posts: 19

2004-02-23 11:05 PM waterbaby
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
comments : 1
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
comments : 0
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.