Chattanooga, Tennessee
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 5h 30m 22s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

With a rolling swim start and so many competitors, there was no opportunity for a swim warmup. I did a light job down to the restrooms and then back about 30 minutes before race time. Also did some hypoxic breathing techniques on the short walk down to the swim. But other than that, I went into the water lacking a warmup.
Swim
  • 31m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a pretty easy swim considering that most of it was downstream. Wearing a wetsuit made it all the more easy, thus, my strong swim time. The pace is more indicative of the current than my overall swim speed. Typically I am close to the 2:00/100 pace. Although, I have been working this off season on developing faster swim times, so we will have to see how these numbers translate to an open water 'non-current' swim.
Transition 1
  • 06m 36s
Comments:

Did a good job getting the wetsuit off (thanks to the strippers) and getting to my bike; although, I did overshoot it on the rack and have to back up for a couple of seconds. However, taking my drinkable u-can nutrition cost me a bit of time. Should have drank it while running with the bike out of transition. It was a long journey from the water to the bikes; that was part of the problem with a long T1 time. But also taking the nutrition and getting my shoes on could have been handled more timely. The position of the bikes was also a little awkward. Not much room to work.
What would you do differently?:

Under the circumstances, I think the only things I could have reasonably done to shave off some time would be to drink my T1 nutrition while exiting transition.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 58s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Basically, my bike speed still sucks. Don't know how to put it any nicer than that. I try to get time in the saddle, but with winter, I spend a good deal of bike training on the trainer. Wonder if that is somehow not translating to the bike. I need to get a speedometer for outdoor training, and really focus on developing a feel for more speed. No doubt, the bike segment is what is really limiting me from being competitive at this point. The bike will be my focus this coming off season, but for now, I need to try and find some more speed...somehow.

At this point, I'm not sure what else I can do. Felt I biked as hard as I could, but still only managed 18mph average.
Transition 2
  • 04m 47s
Comments:

The transition distance was not nearly as long in T2 so the time was a bit better. Again, I stood there and drank my T2 nutrition like an idiot when I should have been drinking and running. I also stopped on the way out of transition to pee. Shouldn't have wasted the time. Could have just let it go on the run. I was shooting for a total time of 5:30, and missed it by 22 seconds. That was the 22 seconds I spent in the portapotty.

Don't stop to pee!!
Run
  • 1h 46m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was pretty solid and I don't think I left anything out there. Hit it about as hard as I could. I chose to take the first lap (of 2) at a comfortably hard pace and let the legs settle in. My typical strategy. However, I really didn't need to take the whole first lap at this pace, only turning it up to full throttle for the second lap.

Probably only needed half of that first lap to get the legs ready to go. Could have shaved off a little time had I uped the pace a little early, perhaps after two miles instead of 6.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Grabbed a bite to eat (pizza at the food tent) and a nice walk back to the car to get my gear bag before retrieving the bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It really comes down to the bike. I just don't feel any speed. Work this off season on the swim really helped and I feel good. The run has always been my strong event. But that damn bike. I have to focus both mentally and physically on performing better on the bike.

Event comments:

I love this race. Ironman knows what they are doing and everything was very well organized. The course is beautiful as is downtown Chattanooga. I plan to make this my full Ironman race for next year.

Last updated: 2016-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:34 | 2112 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit legal
Course: Short couple hundred yard upstream swim in the Tennessee river, but then the rest was all downstream. This, along with the wet-suit, made it an easy swim.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:00:58 | 56 miles | 18.57 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: The course had some hills, but nothing I would call monsters. Plenty of downhills with speed, but that got a little tricky with the winds. Overall, the course was challenging but not overly difficult.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:46:27 | 13.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: A very pretty run along paths by the river and out and back across two bridges. A couple of pretty steep hills, but nothing that really killed you.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-05-24 2:17 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga

2016-05-24 6:35 PM
in reply to: #5183567

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga

Nice race, congrats, way to rock that run!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga

Started by JoelO
Views: 1937 Posts: 1

2015-05-29 6:00 PM JoelO

Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga

Started by Clempson
Views: 1926 Posts: 1

2015-05-19 3:18 PM Clempson

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by austhokie
Views: 1772 Posts: 4

2014-10-06 6:54 AM austhokie

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 2880 Posts: 11

2014-10-10 12:09 PM mtnbikerchk

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by Chris.1333
Views: 2074 Posts: 5

2014-10-05 4:10 PM Sous
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.