United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 03m 59s
Overall Rank = 2114/2346
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 149/175
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am. I had coffee, a banana, an egg sandwich, energy bites and water with Hammer Endurolytes for breakfast. I also took Hammer Endurolite pills and Hammer Anti-fatigue pills.
Event warmup:

There was no warm up. We took a bus from T1 to the start of the swim. We stood in line for a long time waiting for the start of the race. I wore a cheap pair of flip flops and an old shirt of my husbands that I could just dispose of prior to start of the race.
Swim
  • 42m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I loved this swim. Time trial start with 2 swimmers every 3 seconds. I got mashed in a pack a couple of times but was always able to find clear water. I ended up with a cramp in my calf about 3/4 of a mile in. I really think it was probably related to kicking differently in my wet suit than I am used too. This was my 1st open water long swim in 6 months. I live in Wisconsin, so really nothing I could do about that. We did swim the day before just to test the waters.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was pretty happy with my performance....cramp and all. I didn't panic. I sighted appropriately.
Transition 1
  • 10m 58s
Comments:

I had a hard time getting my heart rate down coming out of the water. I took my time walking after my 1st experience with wet suit strippers (which was really cool!). I also had to use the restroom. I took my time getting my feet dried, putting on shoes, getting sun screened, etc.

Nothing
Bike
  • 4h 13m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.23 mile/hr
Comments:

What can I say? Obviously the bike is my weakness. It doesn't help that I hurt my neck days before leaving for this race My chiropractor taped me up, but I still never got comfortable on the bike. There was a 15 mph head wind on the way back that I thought was going to be the end of me. The course was hilly, but not terrible. The wind just stopped any momentum when riding the rollers.

More time on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 06m 58s
Comments:

Again, I took my time on this. I dried and lubed my feet, changed my socks and changed my shirt into something cool. I wanted to be comfortable.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 49m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is my favorite, but this run was just plain brutal. I couldn't keep my heart rate down, so ended up walking more than I wanted too. I just felt I should if I wanted to keep the cramps and pukes at bay. I suffered all the way through and didn't get a cramp until mile 11....then they came if I ran more than 2 minutes. So, I ran for 30 second increments and walked 30 seconds. This seemed to help.

Base salts?
Post race
Warm down:

I felt awful......I couldn't eat. I drank a little water and just sat quietly trying to remember why I chose to do this. Even though I would have liked better numbers, I felt the swim and run were respectable (for my abilities). I was super upset by my bike performance, but when you have terrible neck pain, what do you do? Overall, I felt that I raced my race the best I could have.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and Wind

Event comments:

I loved this race!! I will definitely come back. The volunteers were fantastic. The course was beautiful. The roads were very smooth and fun to ride on.

Last updated: 2016-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:55 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 125/175
Overall: 175/2346
Performance: Good
Suit: Short Sleeve 2 xu
Course: Tennesee River
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 10:58
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:13:55 | 56 miles | 13.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 154/175
Overall: 2196/2346
Performance: Below average
I tried really hard to stay in zone 2 (under 140) and was successful except when climbing.
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 70
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:58
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:49:23 | 13.1 miles | 12m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 145/175
Overall: 2111/2346
Performance: Below average
My goal was to keep my heart rate under 150 the 1st half of the run. I don't think I hardly ever saw 150, so then my goal became to keep it under 160. Again extremely difficult. The heat really hurt me.
Course: double loop
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-05-24 9:02 PM

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga

Started by Wog
Views: 1849 Posts: 2

2016-05-24 6:35 PM ChrisM

Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga

Started by JoelO
Views: 1927 Posts: 1

2015-05-29 6:00 PM JoelO

Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga

Started by Clempson
Views: 1918 Posts: 1

2015-05-19 3:18 PM Clempson

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by WoodrowCall
Views: 2866 Posts: 11

2014-10-10 12:09 PM mtnbikerchk

Ironman Chattanooga

Started by Chris.1333
Views: 2068 Posts: 5

2014-10-05 4:10 PM Sous
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.