General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Powermeter Newbie Questions. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-09 5:48 PM

Subject: Powermeter Newbie Questions.
Hello all,
Newbie here. I have been reading lots of old threads and soaking up all your combined wisdom. Avid swimmer since HS and ran cross country in Uni, but cycling is the weak link for me. I have been relying on my bike computer and post in the interest of getting your take on bringing down my time and improving power on the cycling leg of races (have done HIMs thus far and planning on IMs soon). Roadie friend of mine swears by his powermeter, but I wanted to get a second opinion from people actually doing triathlons. Do you guys use them? Best one to get? Best place to buy, etc.
If not, why not? Are there cons?
Any and all opinions greatly appreciated.
Again, I am a bit of a newbie in this arena, so thank you in advance for your time!!!

K.

2016-06-10 6:23 PM
in reply to: TripleTriAngles

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Powermeter Newbie Questions.
I've been using a power meter about 8 months now. It's a great tool (if you're committed to using it). It depends on what your current bike training looks like. There's no right answer to what's best, it depends on what you need, for example do you want to be able to use it on different bikes, or will you be using different wheels for training vs. racing? DC Rainmaker has very thorough reviews of all of the options, so read up on those first. Power2Max, Quarq, and PowerTap are some typical choices. It depends on whether you want crank based, pedal based, or hub based. All have different pros/cons.

You can achieve great results training without a power meter - it's not a requirement in order to throw down a good bike split. But it certainly can help in terms of training and pacing during a race if you use it properly.
2016-06-24 8:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
A power meter is an amazing training tool if you change your training to power based. If you just go out and ride without any specific power training, then it's nothing more than an expensive toy (although a fun one). Get a copy of "Training with power" by Friel and read up on how to use the power meter effectively.

I swear by power meters to the point where I have a Quarq on both my road bikes and my tri bike. Same goes for my wife for her road bike and tri bike.

Edited by audiojan 2016-06-24 8:45 AM
2016-07-05 7:01 AM
in reply to: TripleTriAngles

Do you do most of your bike training indoors or outdoors?
If indoors, I would suggest holding off on the power meter for your bike, and instead buy a power based trainer, such as a kickr or a computrainer. Use them with the online program trainer road. You will get better!!! Then when you can afford it, buy a PM for your bike, you'll be used to looking at power numbers from your trainer, and be able to pace your races on your bike PM.

Cheers
2016-07-05 3:38 PM
in reply to: gibson00

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Not to argue, but would it not be more useful to have a PM to train both inside and out, and to have for pacing during races? A PM. can be used on a non-smart trainer with a program like Trainer Road et all....

I would rank a PM as first purchase, smart trainer as 2nd .
If money is no problem , then go for both
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Powermeter Newbie Questions. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

newbie bike question

Started by keyone
Views: 1340 Posts: 6

2005-11-06 7:40 PM mprevost

Total Newbie bike gear question

Started by celtva
Views: 1070 Posts: 4

2005-10-17 8:52 AM SMUJD

Newbie Questions About Bikes

Started by bmulroy
Views: 1161 Posts: 7

2005-06-10 10:35 AM bmulroy

Newbie with yet another bike question

Started by Tee
Views: 1217 Posts: 9

2005-06-08 10:11 AM sirrahd

Newbie-Shoe Question

Started by gbissonette
Views: 953 Posts: 4

2004-08-18 6:23 PM tbone
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 24, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on winter maintenance fitness, training and traveling, coaching, and the benefits of training with a powermeter for those that haven't yet commited to one.