General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am so bummed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-15 6:04 PM

Subject: I am so bummed!
I am an adult onset triathlete (almost 61 y.o.) less than two weeks away from my first HIM, held in my home town of Coeur d'Alene. I have been working hard to prepare for this event despite having a heavy work travel schedule. What I have given up over the last two months is strength training so I could spend my time on swim / bike / run.

This morning I was at the hotel on the treadmill (it was 43 degrees in Great Falls, MT and I didn't want to run outside). I was 55 minutes into a run at slightly faster than my usual pace. All of a sudden...sharp and localized calf pain. Like over about 5 strides I went from zero pain to stopping. I figured it was the start of a cramp, and although I don't cramp, I figured "how in the world can this just happen"? It is now the late in the day and when I push on my calf in the area from which the pain radiates it hurts.

It hurts a fair amount to walk unless I do a peg leg Pete and don't push off my toes. Did I just experience a grade 1 or grade 2 calf pull / tear?

Going to the PT tomorrow.

I AM SO BUMMED!

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-06-15 6:08 PM

2016-06-15 7:21 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Subject: RE: I am so bummed!

Sorry to hear it...  But welcome to a long list of us that have had similar injuries 10 days out from a big race.    You'll be OK...  breathe....

My advice (which is worth what you are paying for it but based on experience), you aren't going to gain any fitness in the next ten days.   You may lose a little, but honestly it won't be much, especially if you can do something to "replace" the running, preferably aqua running (in which case you probably won't lose anything) or elliptical.

My hunch is you'll be fine by next weekend.   And you're going to want to test it once it's feeling better.   Just don't....

2016-06-15 9:10 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by ChrisM

And you're going to want to test it once it's feeling better.   Just don't....

This is spot on! It's really easy to extend the injury by coming back too fast. Let it rest and don't push to get back into it. You'll be fine for a HIM in a couple of weeks. Worst case you might half to walk some of the run,
2016-06-15 11:16 PM

Talk to your PT and do LIIIGHT stretching! Dont by any means give up on your race yet!

2016-06-16 7:33 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Look up an article called "Calf Heart Attack". Sounds similar. Rest, full rehab. Don't try to get back on it just because it's "feeling better". You'll just find yourself in a continuous cycle of re-injury.

2016-06-16 7:40 AM

User image

I had the same thing happen three years ago except I felt and swear I heard a pop. Don't panic until you see PT. as others have said rest for now. I'd also suggest calf compression sleeve or maybe compression socks if they cover your calf. Can't say if they really do anything but in my case I felt much better with it on. Especially walking around. If it was me and it was my local race I would see if there's an aqua bike option as a backup plan. Hope things work out for you.

2016-06-16 9:16 PM
in reply to: 0

Went to PT today after feeling better but still in pain and can't run. He said Grade 1 strain which is good news. He said rest a couple more days and then try some easy bike / run. "Let pain be your guide". Will seek out compression gear in the morning....taped up for now.

Thanks to all for responding to this thread. I am off the edge of the cliff for the time being. It looks, as someone said here, that I will essentially have a 10 day taper.

I am going to make it or crash and burn trying. I have come too far to only come this far. I am not aiming for the podium...just to finish. That is an incredible feat considering my age and where I came from.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-06-16 9:17 PM
2016-06-16 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I had the same issue earlier this year but with four weeks until my HIM. Definitely get some compression and do not run on it until you have to. I was wearing compression socks while training on the bike and often during the day. I opted to wear compression sleeves on the calfs for my run on race day as well. For the few seconds it took to put them on I got a lot of peace of mind.

2016-06-16 11:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Now that you're off the ledge, a little tough love.   I don't care what your PT say.  Do Not Run.   You are only risking re-aggravation for no benefit whatsoever for a race 10 days away where your goal is to finish

And glad that it is not more serious.   Good luck at the half!

Edited by ChrisM 2016-06-16 11:48 PM
2016-06-17 2:25 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM

Now that you're off the ledge, a little tough love.   I don't care what your PT say.  Do Not Run.   You are only risking re-aggravation for no benefit whatsoever for a race 10 days away where your goal is to finish

And glad that it is not more serious.   Good luck at the half!

100% agree. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am so bummed! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dupe thread. Ignore.

Started by HaydenHunter
Views: 10 Posts: 1

2016-06-15 6:01 PM HaydenHunter

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3066 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Feeling Bummed

Started by ihafij
Views: 609 Posts: 6

2004-08-17 10:42 PM infosteward

Kinda bummed because of bad run last night

Started by PhoenixRises
Views: 1124 Posts: 15

2004-05-27 10:05 AM Reiley

Boy did I screw up today...bumming bigtime

Started by DRM
Views: 1005 Posts: 5

2004-04-14 9:22 PM Hermom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2016
author : rjcalhoun
comments : 5
From heavy, stressed business owner to triathlete

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.