Overall Rank = 26/125
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/16
Swim
  • 22m 5s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Entry/exit was funky with feet sinking deeply into lake silt. There were some lake weeds on much of the course, but they didn't bother me too much. Never caught a draft, had someone drafting on me most of the time, though. There were some strong swimmers in my AG.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

T1 was pretty slow - I ranked 52/127. Since I take some time to wipe my feet down and put on socks, this doesn't help my T1 performance. Even with that, I should be able to get out faster than I did. My bike was racked in a primo spot, so no excuses. My T1 is always slow, and that is just a consequence of not practicing it.
Bike
  • 1h 36m 29s
  • 31.6 miles
  • 19.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Besides have a close call with getting buzzed on hwy 18 by one driver, the other main observation is that there are just a ton of turns once you come around the lake and are a few miles from the transition. I missed a turn at one point and went off course, up a hill. Then I had to go back and rejoin the course. That cost me a couple of minutes and a couple of spots in the overall standings. Also, that last stretch takes you through a residential area, and at one point I had someone backed out from a driveway maneuvering in a pickup or work truck and blocking the entire, narrow road. I had to stop and then holler at them politely to make room for me so I could get by. The course was a bit longer than your standard olympic distance by about 3.5 miles, and it had some fun climbing with the double ascent/descent jaunt out hwy 18.
What would you do differently?:

Try not to miss any turns next time
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Better than T1
Run
  • 46m 55s
  • 5.98 miles
  • 07m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Run only had some moderate elevation gain, less than my typical weekday run. The course was well-supported. This was probably the first time I was able to finish strong (for me, that is) on the run at any race. I heard someone say later they thought the course was only 5.5 miles per their Garmin, so I don't know how accurate the official course mileage from google maps is. Regardless, this was probably my best run performance at a triathlon to date, at least based on how I felt during the run.
Post race
Event comments:

Race pluses include: cheap entry, challenging bike course, neat venue, well-supported at least on the run. Negatives, the bike course had us in close quarters with traffic on some sections, and there were many turns in a residential area on the final few miles. All-in-all this was a fun race which I will probably consider doing again if they keep the entry fees down.

Last updated: 2016-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:05 | 1500 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/16
Overall: 11/125
Performance: Average
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Two loops around a triangular course. Navigation was easy, just three big pylons to look for. Water was shallow.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:18
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:36:29 | 31.6 miles | 19.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 33/125
Wind:
Course: Course was fun, but close quarters with vehicle traffic on Hwy 18 was a little scary a couple of times. Basically you ride around Big Bear lake, with an early excursion up over a pass on hwy 18 and descent down to a ski resort, then u-turn and go back up over the pass and back down to continue the loop around the lake.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:55 | 05.98 miles | 07m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 28/125
Performance: Good
Course: Nice route through mostly quiet, residential roads. Well-supported with aid stations and included one mist sprayer.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-07-01 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: Big Bear Triathlon Olympic Course

2016-07-08 2:33 PM
in reply to: #5189322

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Big Bear Triathlon Olympic Course
Nice work on the race. I might make a trip out to CA and try this one. I grew up in SoCal and camped/visited Big Bear in my youth so a nice weekend of boating/beering/biking could be fun.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Bear Triathlon Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Black Bear Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by mnbrickx
Views: 846 Posts: 1

2013-04-03 12:28 PM mnbrickx

Started by TriMyBest
Views: 1588 Posts: 2

2012-06-09 8:16 PM 5stones

Started by kofian
Views: 1398 Posts: 2

2012-06-09 7:41 PM TriMyBest

Started by kevinthunt
Views: 1363 Posts: 1

2011-07-06 9:08 AM kevinthunt

Started by stevepiv
Views: 1502 Posts: 3

2011-06-06 9:26 PM stevepiv
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!