General Discussion Triathlon Talk » riding in the rain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-12 7:55 AM

Subject: riding in the rain
sorry for the stupid question, but im completely new to cycling and wanted to know if yall ride after a rain. and if so what safety precautions do you take or are they needed. was wondering how the tires gripped on a road bike. i know, stupid question, but dont wanna learn the hard way.

2016-07-12 8:01 AM
in reply to: bnsafe

Subject: RE: riding in the rain
nevermind, a bunch of past posts poped up bout the subject. think i will hit the gym today instead,
2016-07-12 9:24 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by bnsafe

sorry for the stupid question, but im completely new to cycling and wanted to know if yall ride after a rain. and if so what safety precautions do you take or are they needed. was wondering how the tires gripped on a road bike. i know, stupid question, but dont wanna learn the hard way.

I actually do go for a ride when it rains or after the rain. Mostly because you never know the conditions on the race day. Therefore, I want to be prepared and know how it feels.
I just ride slower, especially when approaching the curves and corners. I am also way more focused.
2016-07-12 5:00 PM
in reply to: #5190477

In itself the concept isn't bad. I have ridden in rain, but I avoid it mostly in day to day training, but like above poster said, my last race this past weekend woke up and the world was soaking wet! I'm experienced and therefore fared well.

My best advice: painted road surfaces collect oil and are suuuuper slippery, avoid touching them with your wheels especially when turning. The white and yellow lines, crosswalk hashes...they are guaranteed to take you out on a fast turn if you aren't careful. But again, being careful and smart, riding in rain aint bad. It's fun on occasion.
2016-07-12 5:13 PM

Sarasota, Florida
I have been riding mountain bikes all my life and got my first road bike this year. A few weeks ago I got caught in some rain and hit some wet sand over a turn and wiped out. It's pretty temperamental but I'll probably go for it again. Just be careful on those turns!
2016-07-12 5:13 PM

Sarasota, Florida
I have been riding mountain bikes all my life and got my first road bike this year. A few weeks ago I got caught in some rain and hit some wet sand over a turn and wiped out. It's pretty temperamental but I'll probably go for it again. Just be careful on those turns!

2016-07-12 5:37 PM
in reply to: PBT_2009

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by PBT_2009

My best advice: painted road surfaces collect oil and are suuuuper slippery, avoid touching them with your wheels especially when turning. The white and yellow lines, crosswalk hashes...they are guaranteed to take you out on a fast turn if you aren't careful. But again, being careful and smart, riding in rain aint bad. It's fun on occasion.

Also;

drop tire pressure a little
brake a little earlier (if not on discs yet)
be sure to ride with front and rear lights
use a wet lube
give your bike a nice clean and lube once the sun comes out again.

I am sure others will chime in with other rain riding tips.
2016-07-12 9:20 PM
in reply to: DaveL

I've avoided riding in the rain since changing from mountain to road biking and heading down the triathlon path. Did a sprint last weekend in the pouring rain. I echo others comments about taking it slow on the turns. Luckily, the course last weekend was almost dead flat. That is good, since it was my very first time riding in the rain on a skinny tire road bike.
2016-07-13 7:43 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I don't go out when it is raining, however I don't stay in when there is a chance of rain either. Therefore I do get caught in the rain.

1 deflate your tires about 5 psi for better traction
2 painted lines are very slippery- avoid them
3 metal grates and plates are extremely slippery when wet
4 Metal bridges- if you new on a road bike you may want to walk it
5 puddles- can be a little dip or a giant hole, water fills them both so they look the same- don't ride through them
6 take corners slower
7 brake early
8 lube your chain well after a wet ride.
2016-07-13 10:57 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I leave in the Seattle area, so of course I've ridden in the rain.  I usually don't like starting a ride in the rain, but I've finished many rides soaking wet.

Good advice above..  Yes metal grates and covers and painted lines are VERY slippery. One time I was stopping at a signal to turn left in the left turn lane, and put my left foot down on a manhole cover.  My cleat just kept sliding and I almost fell over. Luckily it was a two lane left turn and had I fell over it wouldn't have been into oncoming traffic. Still, I always make sure of my foot placement when stopping.

Be very careful braking with caliper rim brakes.  Not just water - road grim builds up and reduces their effectiveness.

Take downhills more slowly because of that. You don't want to build up too much speed to be able to say stop at a stop sign at the bottom.

I will never cross a grated metal bridge riding a road bike, dry or wet.  And certainly never wet. Imagine what that grating is going to do to your skin if you fall down on it at speed.

At least wipe your bike down after a ride. Grime is so much easier to get off when it's still wet.

2016-07-13 11:02 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

, Illinois

2016-07-13 11:36 AM
in reply to: ec1974

User image

Denver, Colorado
Two weeks ago I had triathlon with a storm during the swim. When we got to biking everything was super wet. The route was very curvy - lots of turns, curves, and corners. I am not an experienced biker, so it was very challenging for me. That is why I do practice in the rain. I want to practice and feel when what I think is slow, is still too fast on the wet conditions. If it's raining I bike on the bike trail, never on the streets. So at least I know the road and all the potholes. On the race day I have no idea about how bad the road is, so I have to be super caution, but at least being experienced with wet roads gives me a tiny bit of confidence.
2016-07-13 4:20 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Extreme Veteran
It seems I end up getting stuck in the rain. It seems like on the road it's only bad when it first starts to rain. On my mountain bike it's a different story.

Here's a video: Rain on Mountain Bike

2016-07-13 7:42 PM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

thanks all. i chose to go to the gym instead. want more experience with my bike before i tackle slippery surfaces. although my first tri is 3 weeks away
2016-07-13 8:06 PM

User image

Good choice. I wish I had done the same. I went out with a blue sunny sky and about 4 miles from home it was a downpour. It was about 85 degrees outside, so I can't say the shower was totally unappreciated though. I was on the bike trail, so I was in familiar territory. The bike looks a lot cleaner now!

J White
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » riding in the rain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Riding in the rain?

Started by TriathleteNut
Views: 863 Posts: 8

2007-02-14 4:00 PM badmoody

Riding in the rain

Started by susanp
Views: 703 Posts: 7

2006-06-25 12:02 PM dannyhargrave1

ride in the rain?

Started by gailvic
Views: 813 Posts: 14

2006-04-21 1:54 PM So Fresh So Clean

riding in the rain equaling techniqual problem

Started by David14
Views: 713 Posts: 4

2005-06-14 1:48 PM jeng

Riding in the Rain-

Started by sranney
Views: 677 Posts: 3

2005-04-29 10:17 AM ride_like_u_stole_it
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : September 22, 2008
author : Courage
comments : 1
Four Master's Class athletes ride and race like eight year olds in the backyard.
date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.

date : September 18, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 2
Here there are no judges, here I take out what I put in times ten. Here, in my church, I am reborn of spirit. And the next hill is upon me and I'm joyful for it. Joyful for the pain and the work.
date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.

date : June 5, 2006
author : Ontherun
A few months back I wrote an article about buying your next bike. Well now I have done it and wish to share my experience and choice with you.