United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 20m 59s
Overall Rank = 1750/1872
Age Group = F50-54
Age Group Rank = 95/103
Pre-race routine:

We arrived in Ohio late Friday afternoon, checked into the hotel then headed over to Selby Stadium so I could pick up my race stuff. Bought a shirt and water bottle (I left one of mine in the dishwasher at home), then off to find some dinner.

Met up with some other racers from the tri club for breakfast on Saturday morning. Afterwards went to one of the athlete's meetings then over to the lake for bike drop-off. I wanted to drive at least a portion of the bike course so I would know what to expect for Sunday so we did that then went for lunch. We were sitting in the hotel room watching the LLWS when the rain started. Rain had been predicted for Saturday and possibly Sunday. About 4pm the news came on and said there had been a possible tornado at Delaware Lake - where T1 was set up. Turned out to be a very weak tornado touched down at/near the lake. Not much damage though, just some tree limbs down and a few small trees uprooted. Thankfully it missed the bikes by about 200 yds.

I slept pretty good Saturday night. Being my first HIM I expected to be more nervous but I really wasn't (until the next morning when I was getting ready to swim). Got up around 4:30, had my oatmeal and headed over to the stadium to drop off my run bag and catch the shuttle to the lake.
Event warmup:

None - I was in an early wave for the swim so just waited around until we were ready to go.
Swim
  • 57m 11s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was a little nervous going into the swim. The first 500m I knew would be OK and I figured once I made the last turn and headed back to shore I'd be OK, but the long 800m across the back of the lake worried me a little - it looked like a really long way. I started out good - the water was very comfortable, a little dirty from the storms the previous day, but pretty calm. I made the turn around the first buoy and started the back portion of the course just swimming easy. I got swum over a couple of times from the wave following us catching up but it wasn't bad. I did get knocked in the face pretty good by a lady swimming next to me. Didn't knock my goggles off, but I've got a bit of a bruise on my cheekbone from it. Once I hit the orange buoys I knew I'd be OK - that was the halfway point on the swim. I just needed to get to the last red turn buoy then head back to shore. I've heard from a couple of people that the course was a little long but I finished pretty much around my expected time and I don't wear a GPS during the swim so can't really say if it was.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really - it went pretty much as I expected.
Transition 1
  • 09m 53s
Comments:

T1 is always a little long for me. I'm just afraid of forgetting something. I brushed the sand/grit off my feet as best I could, put on my socks and shoes, tried to apply a little sunscreen (ended up missing a few spots here and there), put my swim stuff in my bag so it would make it back to the stadium, then grabbed my helmet and bike and headed for the bike out. I did stop at the porta-potty on the way out - figured it was worth a minute or two to be comfortable for the first 13 miles or so on the bike.

Just practice - I'm always slow in T1.
Bike
  • 3h 47m 53s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I was hoping to be a little faster on the bike but the roads for about 1/2 the course were a little rough - older chip seal so packed down but still a little rough to ride on. The first half of the course was basically stair steps north and east, mostly flat. The first aid station was at an S-curve on the course. Not the best place for it but we had been warned about that at the athlete meeting - there just wasn't a good place anywhere else around to put it. Most people decided to just skip this one. Lots of volunteers there though to help those that did stop. I reached this station at just under and hour so right on pace with what I had planned - take it a little easier for the first 22 miles, then try to push it a little on the rest of the course.

I got passed by a lot of people - which I expected. Being in an early swim wave meant that over 1500 people were possibly going to pass me on the bike course and I think most of them did.

Once we got to the northernmost point on the course we started the return trip to town - basically a south/east stair step. This is where we ran into the wind. It was worse when you were heading east, but still pretty bad heading south. At this point I was ready to be done but still had over 20 miles to go. So I just put my head down and kept pedaling. I quads started cramping up right before the last aid station (approx. mile 45) so I stopped there for a few minutes to try to stretch them out and refill my water. The last 10 miles of the course is where the hills were. Nothing big, just rollers really but my legs were not happy about that. I really need to do more hill training, even for relatively flat courses. So I got through those and made it back into town and onto the bike path for the last mile, and to the stadium for T2.

More longer bike rides. I did a couple of 46 milers and one 50 miler but they were all on a route that is pancake flat. I need to add more hills to my rides.
Transition 2
  • 05m 21s
Comments:

Got the bike racked, shoes changed and grabbed my handheld, number belt and visor and I was off. Probably should have stopped at the sunscreeners but I was ready to be on to the run.

Add a little more sunscreen. The sun was out but the temp were nice and there was a breeze so I didn't feel that I was getting a little burned.
Run
  • 3h 20m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew the run would probably be tough. My longest training runs had been in the 8 mile range and I only did 2 of those. I've had some issues with my Achilles and my ankles that kept me from running as much as I should have. I had decided that I would walk the first mile, then start doing a run/walk through the 2 loops. I actually felt pretty good starting out. Did the "stick" portion of the course then started on the loops. The course was hilly but not much worse than what I run on at home. I started the run/walk which went OK for a while but every time I ran my HR would skyrocket so the walk breaks ended up getting longer and longer until I was walking more than running. There were aid stations every 1-1.25 miles and I took water and Gatorade at each one. On the second loop I started adding a little cola too and ice in my tritop. The breeze was nice too - it helped to keep you cool. And a big thank you to the people who had the sprinkler set up on the course - that felt really good. I knew if I was going to make the course cut-off I had to finish the run under 3:30 so for the first loop I tried to keep track of my pace. I was doing about 15m/m average so I could make it if I kept that pace going. By the second loop I was mostly walking and just wanted to make it to the finish, no matter what the time would be. So I stopped looking at my watch and just enjoyed the course and all the spectators out cheering for us. I finally made it back to the "stick" and headed back to the stadium and the finish. I did manage to run the last 1/3 of a mile or so down Henry St and into the stadium and around the track to the finish. I made the 8:30 course cut-off with 9 minutes to spare.

More run training. I knew once I started the run course I'd be able to finish - I just would have liked to run more and walk less.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finisher's medal and hat and met up with my husband. He got my bike and transition stuff for me while I got something to eat and went to meet up with my tri club group. Most of them had great races and Lynne even got 5th in her AG. It was a good day all around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more swim, bike and run training.

Event comments:

This was my first HIM (and possibly only) so it was nice to have such a good experience with it. The volunteers and spectators were amazing, the course was really good and I enjoyed doing this with such a great group from the tri club. If I ever decide to do another HIM, I would consider doing this one again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:57:11 | 1931 meters | 02m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 74/103
Overall: 1577/1872
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangle shape - 500m out, 800m across the back of the lake, then 631m back to shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:47:53 | 56 miles | 14.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 95/103
Overall: 1775/1872
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: A big loop on country roads from the lake back to Selby Stadium. Lots of turns.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:20:41 | 13.1 miles | 15m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 95/103
Overall: 1750/1872
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loop lollipop course through town.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-08-24 10:36 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Ohio
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Ohio Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by Daremo
Views: 6042 Posts: 31

2006-06-16 1:22 PM Hudnick

Ford Ironman 70.3 Honu

Started by ladavidson
Views: 3548 Posts: 12

2006-06-06 6:45 PM CitySky

Ford Ironman 70.3 Honu

Started by crusevegas
Views: 3309 Posts: 17

2006-06-12 11:03 AM crusevegas

Mexico IronMan 70.3 Baja

Started by CVSURF
Views: 2593 Posts: 8

2006-09-27 5:43 PM go_sparkles

Ironman 70.3 California

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 4099 Posts: 23

2006-03-21 10:25 AM dajeeman357
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.