General Discussion Race Reports! » Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cypress, Texas
United States
Onurmark Race Productions
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = PC
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Since race was only 2 miles from my house I didn't have to get up super early. Got up at 4:30. Ate Peanut Butter sandwich, put on my Tri Suit and made sure I had everything I needed. I had checked the bike the night before. Started to get my bike shoes and helmet on at around 5:35 to jump on the bike and ride over to the Tri site. After carrying my bike out of the garage I noticed that I had a flat rear tire. After a couple of f bombs I pulled out my tools and changed the tire. Thankfully there wasn't an issue and about 10 minutes later I was on the road to the tri which took about another 10 minutes. Plenty of time to setup transition and then hang out at the lake and watch all the Olympic distance waves go off.
Event warmup:

Hot and humid, not much warmup
Swim
  • 14m 20s
  • 400 meters
  • 03m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first time competing in the PC category. There was a blind athlete with guide and another athlete in this category. 5 minutes before the race the announcer stated that the PC category will go 1 minute ahead of the 1st wave. I'm assuming this was to help the blind athlete, but I don't think helped either me or the other guy very much. Start was great and I had a good rhythm when all the sudden me and the other guy were cut off by a kayak. The guy in the kayak told us to go back to start as we weren't supposed to have started yet as this was only for the PC athletes. We had to educate him that we were both computing in the PC category as well and were able to move on. Because of this I lost my rhythm and my breathing went to hell. About a minute later all the people from the 1st wave started to catch up with us and basically swam right over us, which made me loose my rhythm even more. I had to take a breather holding on to a kayak to regain my momentum. Turned out later that the announcer thought that there was only the blind athlete competing in the PC category hence why he sent out the kayak to stop us.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure race announcer is aware of people in PC category and also probably don't take the advantage of going out 1 minute early if the next wave rolls right over me anyways. Will send an email to race director later this week to provide some feedback.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Decent. Really muddy transition.
Bike
  • 36m 14s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Very crowded coming out of the swim. Very hard to not draft due to the amount of riders and the available space on the road. Lots of passing and being passed in the first 5 miles on the bike
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Smooth
Run
  • 38m 57s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Very hot and humid. Struggled to keep my heart rate down and also my ankle was not doing too well after the injury 6 weeks ago. Had to do a lot of walking breaks to keep my heart rate reasonable and to not over exhaust myself.
What would you do differently?:

Had not run much last 6 weeks due to ankle injury. That and the heat was not a good combination.
Post race
Warm down:

Getting water and slowly walking around to cool down

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ankle injury and humidity. Due to my autonomous system not regulating well in hot conditions this was kind of challenging.

Event comments:

Always well organized race.

Last updated: 2016-09-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:20 | 400 meters | 03m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Triangular out left turn left turn and back around a small island swim course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:14 | 12 miles | 19.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Performance: Good
166 avg HR, max 176
Wind: Little
Course: Loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 76
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:57 | 03.1 miles | 12m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Performance: Bad
Avg HR 167. Max 189
Course: Loop mainly along lakes. Only shaded part about 1/4 mile total.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-09-07 11:24 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

2016-09-09 9:50 AM
in reply to: #5197920

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course
What a strong bike leg you had! And considering the last six weeks, your run wasn't too shabby, either! I find it really odd that a kayak was sent out to after you.....the RD should know better. I hope he's responsible to your email.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Towne Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by johnthecat
Views: 1145 Posts: 1

2015-09-08 2:42 PM johnthecat

Started by sawyer1206
Views: 975 Posts: 1

2015-07-27 1:42 PM sawyer1206

Started by g_shotts
Views: 1350 Posts: 1

2014-11-09 6:27 AM g_shotts

Memorial Hermann Houston Towne Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by strykergt
Views: 1546 Posts: 3

2013-09-05 3:51 PM PsyTri

Memorial Hermann Houston Towne Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by markyhopkins
Views: 1613 Posts: 1

2013-09-02 5:41 PM markyhopkins
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.