General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Things you can learn from washing a bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-12 11:12 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Things you can learn from washing a bike

I am a believer in bike washing but it is a chore.  This bike may have gone longer than it should between washings.   Even more than having clean bike, when you get down close to see the dirt, you notice other things too.  

Three things I learned.

1)  There was excess glue squeezed out around the decals on the wheels.  I learned this as I wiped the rag over the rim decal and it got dirtier rather than cleaner.  Every time I wiped over the decal a greasy, gray smear was dragged across the white decal. Plus, it was hard to rub off.  Upon closer examination, I could see a little deposit of goo all around each decal.  I rubbed and rubbed with a soapy rag to get the glue off but every time I thought I was done, I would wipe one last time and more goo across the sticker.  In frustration, I put some citrus chain cleaner (Parks chain cleaner) on the rag and wiped over the decal. Voila, clean decal.  If I had used a lot of solvent, maybe the sticker would have come off, so if you try this yourself, be careful not to use too much.

2)  As I was working on cleaning the rim, I noticed that one spoke was 90 degrees from the correct orientation.  The spokes are bladed and the flat side was in the direction of rotation.  The misaligned spoke was not twisted into a spiral.  The whole length was just rotated perfectly perpendicular to the air flow.  The wheel seems true and the spoke tension is ok so I will rotate it back when I have a spoke holder and nipple wrench.  As someone who has spent a lot of time figuring out the structural mechanics of bicycle wheels, I find this really odd.  If a spoke had loosened, I would have expected it to show some twist.  The spoke is a straight pull so the head looks like the head of a nail rather than the more conventional J shape.  So so it is possible for the head to rotate under torque.  But the head of the spoke is not lubricated like the seat of the nipple. It would take a good deal more force to turn it than to turn the nipple.  Also the threads on the nipple are semi-locked with a weak thread lock compound.  So what has happened, most likely, is that the nipple and the head rotated exactly the same amount which is really strange because it would take very different torques on each end for that to happen.  I will watch this to see if it happens again.  The spoke is on the non-drive side of the rear wheel.  These spokes have the lowest tension of all the spokes in a wheel set.  Less tension means that the spoke would rotate more easily than other spokes.

3)  Lastly, I noticed a thin crack in my seat post.  A broken seat post is one of the bike failures you would really want to avoid in life.  I took the seat post out and tried to bend it against my knee to see how bad it was.  It did not bend or open up the crack.  So the post was not in imminent danger of breaking.  Seat posts like this are actually made as two pieces, the top piece is a solid part that is cast or forged or machined from a block of aluminum to make the complicated shape for the clamp and for any setback from a straight line.  The bottom piece is an aluminum tube that is welded on.  I think I am seeing spalling from the weld that is just cracking the paint. But even so, I ordered a new post.  Nothing lasts forever.  Check you seat post.

2016-09-12 1:19 PM
in reply to: tech_geezer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Things you can learn from washing a bike
Even though it probably doesn't make you any faster, washing a bike does give you a little closer connection to it. You get to pay attention to little details that could be a problem later.

I came around a curve a little too fast and came across this little spot. Obviously had to clean my bike afterwards.

2016-09-12 1:37 PM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

User image

Elite

It's a dirty sport but somebody has got to do it.

TW

2016-09-12 2:58 PM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Originally posted by NeilsWheel Even though it probably doesn't make you any faster, washing a bike does give you a little closer connection to it. You get to pay attention to little details that could be a problem later. I came around a curve a little too fast and came across this little spot. Obviously had to clean my bike afterwards.  

Is that a GoPro you got that picture with?  The shadow looks like it might be...  Just got one myself but haven't really had much chance to use it on my bike yet.

2016-09-12 10:02 PM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Extreme Veteran
You can see the GoPro under my left arm in the shadow. It takes great pictures. I try to use it on every mountain bike ride. You just never know when you might see something interesting. I have an external HD on my laptop and every time I ride I download it. The drive costs about $90 or so and will hold almost 6 months worth of video. The GoPro software is okay. I have Adobe Premiere and Photoshop on the laptop and usually use it instead.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Things you can learn from washing a bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Things I learned on my first Bike ride (crash) of the season

Started by mgalanter
Views: 1401 Posts: 8

2011-04-06 8:08 PM jcbfshr

MP3 through the wash was a good thing!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 1488 Posts: 5

2011-04-02 7:07 PM jsiegs

Things I Learned After Riding a Bike For the First Time in 20 Years

Started by drickamer
Views: 744 Posts: 3

2007-12-25 6:02 PM badnews

Bike fitting - lessons learned/learning

Started by cobannero
Views: 1567 Posts: 6

2006-02-09 11:18 AM cobannero

Things I learned about my bike yesterday LONG

Started by Whit
Views: 950 Posts: 13

2004-08-30 4:39 PM tech_geezer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 23, 2013
author : Jerrykyc
comments : 2
The cause of the sleeplessness could be anxiety to get out and compete but more often than not the inability to sleep is a fear of what might happen, of what might go bump out on the race course.

date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 0
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day
date : December 2, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 0
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on open water swimming and four drills to help you better prepare for your event.

date : September 3, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Stripped of its three-figure entry fees and five figure bikes, when the gun goes off it's still a bunch of crazies doing three sports for a thousand reasons.
date : September 3, 2010
comments : 1
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on being efficient in the water. Learning how to swim smooth and efficiently is important to becoming a great swimmer.

date : August 2, 2010
comments : 19
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on breathing. Before you can swim fast, you must learn how to control your breathing so that easy swimming does not leave you gasping after one lap.
date : August 7, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 7
Do you see the bladder as half-full or half-empty? In this instance, it really doesn't matter how you look at it... you'd just better go.

date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.