Overall Rank = 36/358
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/27
Swim
  • 25m 23s
  • 1232 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim (.7 mile swim): Swim start was a little walk away. Maybe 10 minutes. It was actually a nice walk. They had shuttles too. At the start they had some drummer group pounding away at their drummers. I don't know what kind. Like big wooden deep base sounding. Sort of cool to have that instead of the standard stereo blasting. Water was perfect. 81 degrees. Plenty of opportunity to get a warmup in. It was a wave start. Current was left to right so director advised aiming left of buoy and let current push you towards buoy. I did that but the current was much less than I expected. I didn't feel much assistance during the swim.

My swim time: 25:23 12/27 in age group. My garmin said 23:48 so I think they timed off the timing mat outside of transition. They also had a timing mat on the beach. Overall i was pleased with my swim. I'm a slow swimmer to begin with and been dealing with some shoulder issues but have been working on my swim technique and feel like this was a fairly efficient swim for me as I feel like I paced well.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

no major issues
Bike
  • 1h 09m 48s
  • 25.1 miles
  • 21.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike (25.1 miles) Bike was pretty well marked with volunteers at turns and police at intersections. It went through some neighborhoods and on the main parkway. It was open to traffic. There was one section where there were 5 cars backed up waiting to get past a group of cyclists. I waited behind the cars. Another impatient cyclist did not. He decided to pass the cars on the right. And there was no shoulder. Please don't do this people. Bike was mostly flat. A few inclines here and there. Nothing I would call rollers. I saw one peloton of about 20 cyclists which just seemed ridiculous but there were not officials on course so that can happen. I wore my lg p-09 helmet for the first time. Used sunglasses instead of visor. One issue I had was I was getting sweat in my eyes and took off sunglasses to wipe it away. It was a challenge getting the sunglasses back on. Biggest issue on the bike was at the end they funneled you into this very narrow multi-use path. Even a cruiser bike would be a tight fit through here if you had them coming in both directions. They had multiple volunteers telling you to slow down. I had nobody behind me when I entered the path. I slowed to probably 15mph since it was narrow and there were blind turns so it wasn't safe. Of course when I got to the dismount line at the end there were people barreling up behind me and I heard screeching of brakes. Ridiculous people. I know it's a race but don't be idiots and make things unsafe.

My bike time: 1:09:48 4/27 in age group. Happy with this time. I've been working on improving my cycling using trainerroad and this is an improvement.
What would you do differently?:

nothing. happy with this race performance
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

dropped a gel running out and had to stop to get it.

hold gel in hand and secure later
Run
  • 47m 26s
  • 6.1 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Run (10k): Run was fine. Ended up being a little warmer than I expected but run was mostly shaded. Through some neighborhoods and some multi-use paths. My garmin says run was a little short at 5.84miles but who knows. Pacing was pretty solid for the entire run.

My run time: 47:26 3/27 in age group. Please with this time. I felt slightly overheated but I kept my pace consistent.

dropped a gel on run as I did in transition and had to stop to pick up. for short race need to just hold it in hand. my blue seventy tri top pockets are small so things don't stay in there.
Post race
Event comments:

Overall: I thought it was a nice race. I enjoyed the swim most of all even though it's my weakest leg. Water temp was perfect. The event was pretty well organized. Everything on the course was well marked. I only was annoyed with some overly aggressive cyclists. Overall a solid race I would recommend to others.

Last updated: 2016-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:23 | 1232 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/358
Performance:
Suit:
Course: ocean swim
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:48 | 25.1 miles | 21.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/27
Overall: 33/358
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:26 | 06.1 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/27
Overall: 43/358
Performance: Average
Course: multi-use paths, road,
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-09-19 9:52 AM

Subject: Kiawah Island Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kiawah Island Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kiawah Island Triathlon

Started by Wesley12
Views: 1538 Posts: 2

2011-09-19 9:22 AM Lukester1980

Kiawah Island Triathlon

Started by Lo-Daddy
Views: 2130 Posts: 5

2010-09-29 7:04 AM mll1605

Kiawah Island Triathlon

Started by Hamner
Views: 1487 Posts: 1

2007-09-19 11:30 PM Hamner

Kiawah Island Triathlon

Started by brstewa2
Views: 1720 Posts: 4

2006-09-27 8:36 PM tim_edwards

Kiawah Island Triathlon

Started by hblackmon
Views: 2378 Posts: 14

2006-09-20 9:35 PM rrizzo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.