General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2017 schedule Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-28 9:32 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: 2017 schedule

Folks, I'm looking for suggestions for my 2017 race schedule (not specific events, but more as to the frequency and distance). This year, I started my season much later due to injury from last year. I did two sprints with some pretty decent success. They were definitely hard, but I finished top-5 in my AG in both.

I want to do a sprint in March, which will be my second time doing this course (the first being my very first tri in 2015). And, I am thinking I will make my A race AG Nationals, the Olympic distance. So, any tips or suggestions on what to do between March and (I assume) August?

Also, please post your plans for next year. After all, this isn't all about me!

2016-09-28 10:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: 2017 schedule

Originally posted by LundyLund

Folks, I'm looking for suggestions for my 2017 race schedule (not specific events, but more as to the frequency and distance). This year, I started my season much later due to injury from last year. I did two sprints with some pretty decent success. They were definitely hard, but I finished top-5 in my AG in both.

I want to do a sprint in March, which will be my second time doing this course (the first being my very first tri in 2015). And, I am thinking I will make my A race AG Nationals, the Olympic distance. So, any tips or suggestions on what to do between March and (I assume) August?

Also, please post your plans for next year. After all, this isn't all about me!

Dave Scott's triathlon training book breaks things into 4 seasons.  They are something along the lines of off-season, pre-season, race season, post-race season.  So if your first race is in March then you probably have some off-season time until the new year where you can focus on one area that you want to improve. Then you have about 10-12 weeks of Pre-season to increase your volume and follow a training plan to get ready for the first race. March to August is your race season.  If I remember correctly Dave Scott said to do a high intensity work out every three weeks if you are not racing during the "race season".  If you wanted to really load up the schedule you could do a race every three weeks.  You could start with some sprints for the first 3 months and then get in 2-3 Oly's before the AG nations.  If you don't have a lot of race options or don't have the time or funds to race that often then just do intense race like training every 3rd week.  

My 2017 race schedule isn't set yet but I have been looking at doing the Cape Cod Ragar Relay in May, IM Bolder 70.3 in August, and Redman 70.3 in September.  So...my Pre-season won't kick off until after the Ragnar Relay in May.  My Race Season will start in August with Boulder and end in September with Redman.  :-)

I also have been looking at doing the Route 66 Olympic Tri in El Reno, OK in June so if I go that route I will try to find another race in July or else just do my training tri course in July to extend the race season from June to September.  

I am loving my bike focused off-season training right now.  It is starting to get cold in the morning though so I am not sure how much longer I will be enjoying it.  It may be to the gym for me which I really hate. 

What else...I plan on doing the Jenks 1/2 Marathon in November in Tulsa, OK and the Aquarium 1/2 Marathon in Tulsa in April.  I also will do a few 5K races to participate in the Choctaw Nation's P.A.C.E. Running program which is open to the public (I am not Choctaw but live in the tribe boundaries so I get to participate in this program which covers my entry fee to the program's 5K races. I likely will do the P.A.C.E 5K's in March, April, October, November).  

2017 is looking like it will be a full year.  :-)

P.S.  If you find any non-Sunday races in the Dallas/Fort Worth area let me know. I have family in Dallas.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-09-28 10:52 AM
2016-09-28 11:26 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Denver, Colorado
I split my year into triathlon season and non-triathlon season (which is actually a triathlon training time for a stronger base). My triathlon season goes from May to the end of August (with races starting in June). I do not want to have any interruptions with non-tri races during that time, so I schedule anything non-tri beyond my tri-season. I am planning to have my first marathon at the end of April. So the plan for right now is to continue s/b/r until December, to maintain good base, then I start marathon training in January (with swimming as my rest day workout and biking as cross training - just to stay in shape for tri's), concluded with marathon at the end of April.

After my last tri in August, I am thinking of 50k in December. Again, something that falls beyond tri season, so I can focus.
2016-09-28 11:50 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

What else...I plan on doing the Jenks 1/2 Marathon in November in Tulsa, OK and the Aquarium 1/2 Marathon in Tulsa in April.  I also will do a few 5K races to participate in the Choctaw Nation's P.A.C.E. Running program which is open to the public (I am not Choctaw but live in the tribe boundaries so I get to participate in this program which covers my entry fee to the program's 5K races. I likely will do the P.A.C.E 5K's in March, April, October, November).  

Thanks for all the good ideas. I've not done the Jenks, but I've done the Route 66 half. My in-laws live in Jenks. Would be curious to hear how that and the Aquarium are/go. 

Non-Sunday races are hard to find. The Rahr brewery in Fort Worth has a really fun 5k (this weekend, actually), which is on a Saturday. I've not seen many (if any) tris on Saturdays down here. Isn't the logic behind Sunday races that folks are willing to travel on a Saturday, race and return on Sunday, and thereby not miss work? If so, races that tend to be local falling on Sundays is silly. I'll let you know if I find something.

2016-09-28 9:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Ventura, California

Good Post, had not thought much about 2017 in detail yet. I am going to participate in California Triathlon's 'Grand Prix' which is a series of 20 races, in which your best 3 count. You only have to do 3, but you have 20 to choose from.

This year has been very productive race wise, I kicked it off with a marathon, some trail races, 5k/10k, bike race, a sprint and a long course olympic and I have one more oly coming up end of Oct that just happens to be the first race in the 'Grand Prix' Series. This winter should be a better training season then last as I now have a rudimentary bike trainer and I have a membership to a local ymca that will give me access to a pool during the winter.

This year I really made huge improvements to my swimming and also overcame my fear of the open ocean, I have also battled the heavy surf and swells, I got a wetsuit, my biking skills have improved 10 fold. I am hoping to really take what I have accomplished this year, train hard over the winter and really launch into next year pushing hard for some podium finishes.

Thinking I might just stick to Triathlons only for 2017, Hmmm.....

http://californiatriathlon.org/grand-prix/

Edited by rjcalhoun 2016-09-28 9:37 PM
2016-09-29 9:20 AM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

My first IM is in three weeks, so I haven't thought too much beyond that. I do know that I don't want to have my biggest race that late in the season again, though. Right now, there are things like mountain biking that I would like to do, but I don't because I don't want to risk injury. I am also stuck spending time on the trainer because it is too dark in the evenings to ride much after work.

This year, I did my first ultramarathon. I finished, but I made a few key strategic errors. I plan on rerunning the same race next year and hopefully take a couple hours off my time. My husband and I are planning on vacationing in Iceland, and there is an ultra there that I am dying to run.

So I haven't even figured out my own race schedule. I don't have any suggestions for you.

2016-09-29 12:11 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by LundyLund

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Thanks for all the good ideas. I've not done the Jenks, but I've done the Route 66 half. My in-laws live in Jenks. Would be curious to hear how that and the Aquarium are/go. 

Non-Sunday races are hard to find. The Rahr brewery in Fort Worth has a really fun 5k (this weekend, actually), which is on a Saturday. I've not seen many (if any) tris on Saturdays down here. Isn't the logic behind Sunday races that folks are willing to travel on a Saturday, race and return on Sunday, and thereby not miss work? If so, races that tend to be local falling on Sundays is silly. I'll let you know if I find something.

Well..I moved to Oklahoma from Utah my Junior Year of High school and attended Jenks High (talk about culture shock).  The Jenks 1/2 Marathon is run by the Jenks High School Cross Country Team every November and is going on 36 years.  I have never done it but now that I am just 75 miles away after last year's move from Marble Falls, TX and the fact that it is outside the "triathlon season" I want to to do it to revisit the o'l stomping grounds. The Oklahoma Aquarium Run is Jenks home town race.  I have done it twice and it is one of my favorite races.  They do a BBQ at the finish line for the whole family and then the whole family gets into the Aquarium free with a race bib.  Considering I would spend $35 on burgers and the fast food joint and $35 to get the family into the Aquarium on a normal family outing the $45 registration fee that include the race shirt and bling is a steel.  It is ran a week or two after the Route 66 Marathon so all the "fast" people in town use it as a recovery run. I make it my A race and PR'd there both time with my first Overall Podium my first year and and New York Marathon Qualifying time my second year (along with another overall podium which looks impressive in a race that average 600 people even if the fast people are in recovery :-).

Ya...I decided when I started doing road races in the 90's to not compete on Sundays.  That was pretty easy to do then living in Utah, but it increasingly harder now.  Last year I think I found 22 Triathlons in the Dallas area but 18 of them were on Sundays and the the others were either indoor Triathlons, Kids Triathlons, super sprint triathlons, or women's triathlons.  I keep looking for more race options.  I need a near by OLY race for July.  :-

2016-09-29 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I've got my first IM distance race in 10 days (IM LOU) so haven't given much thought about next year but I did just receive my invite to AG Nationals. Actually the only USAT sanctioned race I did this year was nationals and since I finished top 3rd that qualified me for 2017 so I guess I'll make the return trip to Omaha. So right now the only thing on the Calendar is that! I had a good time in Omaha and recommend it to anyone considering.
2016-10-02 4:00 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I'm going to try to choose races that actually go off AS PLANNED. Less than 50% success rate in 2016. 3 races had swims cancelled!
2016-10-03 8:09 AM

, Wisconsin
I'd like to do a sprint somewhere in San Diego county in April as we'll be staying there for a month or more. Spent a few months there last year and think it would be cool for this midwesterner to do a Southern Cal tri. I am signed up for our local sprint which is June 25th here in La Crosse, WI I'm planning on giving a true Oly a shot, so looking for something within a couple hundred miles in mid to late July. There's also a sprint sometime around Aug 10 not far from here IF they hold it in 2017. I did it in 15, but they canceled this year but said they'd be doing it in 17, we'll see. After that I will probably concentrate on cycling mileage as I'd like to do my first century in about 40 years . . . Or I might do Devil's Challenge Sprint at Baraboo in mid Sept again. What a hilly sucker it was!

There are a fair number of sprints of various distances within a few hundred miles, but actual Olympics are few and far between . . .
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2017 schedule Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IMNC-2017

Started by dsmallacomb
Views: 1126 Posts: 1

2016-08-23 5:05 PM dsmallacomb

Full IM 2016 or 2017?

Started by ulf.lundh
Views: 2738 Posts: 17

2015-09-18 9:10 AM bcagle25

The remainder of OLN's 2004 cycling schedule:

Started by jmc1888
Views: 573 Posts: 2

2004-08-27 2:49 PM Lara

Feedback on my training schedule?

Started by autumn
Views: 933 Posts: 4

2004-08-16 1:28 PM autumn

training schedule

Started by jcuneo
Views: 855 Posts: 10

2004-08-02 12:40 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
Design a triathlon race schedule with the right amount and right types of races to help you peak at the right time.

date : December 31, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 8
Where do I start? What equipment do I need? How do I train? This article will serve as your 'Where do I start?' guide with several triathlon training schedules included below.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Andrea
I'm on the other side of the college-student desk. I'm the one with the red pen in my hand. Those of us with schedules that change from day to day actually have an advantage, I think.
date : September 11, 2004
author : westfried
Fact is, it's tough. Best bet is to do the training that you can, and let the chips fall where they may.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Ron
Good tips for training and race-day