Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Ironman
Total Time = 7h 09m 51s
Overall Rank = 247/434
Age Group = 50 - 54
Age Group Rank = 35/64
Pre-race routine:

We got to the race site Thursday and went straight to the Expo for packet pickup and the pre-race meeting. While there, we ran into my good BT friend Dave Miller! Was very nice to see him; it's been a few years. After packet pickup, we went to Flaming Amy's Bowl for dinner. We eat there EVERY time we go to Wilmington. YUM! Later we took a walk on the beach and enjoyed the ocean.

Friday morning we did a practice swim, then took care of our bike and gear drop offs. It gets a bit complicated since this is a point-to-point race. We decided to leave the truck in a parking garage near the finish line so that we would not have to get a ride back to our hotel (near swim start) after the race. Had dinner at the hotel this night.

Race morning, we got dressed then rode our road bikes (brought 2 extra bikes with us) to T1 to drop off water bottles and pump tires. Went back to the hotel and had a light breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Since the hotel was so near the swim start, we had more time to relax in the room before leaving.
Event warmup:

No warm up other than the .25 mile walk from the hotel to the swim start. We got there right as the National Anthem played and then it was time for me to get in the water. I was in the first wave. It was SO nice not to have to stand around shivering for hours before race start!
Swim
  • 41m 7s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

As soon as the horn sounded and we took off, the anchor buoy let loose and ran us all over! The lady beside me grabbed it and tried to hold onto it; I told her to just let it go. It was really crowded at the beginning making it difficult to get going. Once I got going, I just kept a slow and steady pace. The swim was pretty uneventful; I just plugged along until I reached the finish.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS practice with wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 09m 23s
Comments:

I stopped at the wetsuit strippers before starting the long run from the swim finish to T1. It was cool and windy, so I thought I would want my windbreaker on the bike. I took the time to dry off and put on my jacket. I left the changing tent, but when the sun hit me, I decided I did not want my windbreaker after all and went back for arm warmers instead. They had already moved my bag out, so it took a bit to locate it and swap my jacket for my arm warmers. Then I had difficulty finding my bike! ... hence the long T1 time.

Be more organized and not change my mind at the last minute.
Bike
  • 3h 30m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.96 mile/hr
Comments:

WINDY! We headed into a headwind for most of the bike; it was exhausting. Going over the bridge, I nearly lost my bike out from under when a gust of wind hit. Since this was a point-to-point course, I had my cell phone in my bento bag in case of an emergency and so that I would have it with me at the finish to locate Pete and take a few photos. At one point, I took my phone out and clipped it to the back of my Tri shorts so that I could better access my nutrition. I always train with my phone clipped at my back, so that is what I am used to. However, a referee saw my phone clipped to the back of my shorts and presented me with a yellow card. I know you are not supposed to have electronic audio devices, such as MP3 players, but I really didn't give any thought to my cell phone. I stopped at the penalty tent where they noted my number and sent me on my way saying that yellow cards are just minor infractions and you do not have to wait; it is just a stop and go penalty.

Train harder.
Transition 2
  • 09m 14s
Comments:

The bike course ended on a down slope into a dirt/gravel road, so we had to stop hard. Then it was quite a bit of a run with the bike on a carpet through construction area. Handed off the bike to a bike handler and went to T2.
Run
  • 2h 36m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pretty much just slow and steady on the run. I walked a little at a couple of the aid stations, but mainly kept at a slow run. I was feeling down about a subpar race as I was coming through town when I heard a familiar voice fall in beside me. Gee Garner who was spectating jumped in and ran beside me for a moment. I was SO happy to see a friendly face; I told him he was a sight for sore eyes. The rest of my teammates were at the finish line cheering me in. We took a few photos before parting ways.

The race reflected my lack of training and lower than past fitness level.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with teammates, ate pizza, walked around the finish area, then decided to get our gear and head for the truck.

They day after the race, I received an email from the head referee saying that I'm disqualified for having a cell phone. I humbly ate crow and pointed out that I never used the cell phone and it provided me no unfair advantage. He basically said rules are rules and the DQ stands. I was upset at first, but since this was not my first Half and in fact my worst Half time, it was pretty insignificant. I still received my time, finisher's gear and photos, so it really made no difference; just a lesson learned.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and a few extra pounds.

Event comments:

Volunteers and law enforcement were AWESOME! I've done this race twice when it was run by Setup Events, so it was hard to warm up to Ironman running it. Ironman did not carpet the grated bridge which was VERY hard on the tires. I was fearful of popping a tire. Setup Events always covered it for us. Also, it has been my experience that Ironman is only out for revenue and does not care much about the athletes. Setup Events and Rev 3 cater more to the needs of the athletes. The race was okay, but I have no desire to do it again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-12-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:07 | 2112 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/64
Overall: 0/434
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Banks Channel with current.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 09:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:30:29 | 56 miles | 15.96 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:36:57 | 13.1 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-11-07 4:25 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: Ironman 70.3 North Carolina
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 North Carolina Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IRONMAN North Carolina

Started by gadgetlaw
Views: 1318 Posts: 3

2016-10-27 7:53 PM alltom1

Ironman North Carolina 70.3

Started by d00d
Views: 3384 Posts: 9

2016-11-07 2:26 PM d00d

Ironman 70.3 North Carolina

Started by atuhro
Views: 1844 Posts: 2

2016-10-24 2:03 PM d00d

United Healthcare of the Carolinas North Carolina

Started by nbk8i8h
Views: 1038 Posts: 1

2009-06-22 5:27 PM nbk8i8h

United Healthcare of the Carolinas North Carolina Marathon

Started by johnkav
Views: 1274 Posts: 1

2009-05-06 7:03 PM johnkav
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.