New York Road Runners
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 29m 16s
Overall Rank = 4311/54000
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 548/4613
Pre-race routine:

Got to NYC on Thursday late afternoon and went to Javits Center to pick up packet. Did an easy run on Friday at Central Park and shake out run on Saturday before the race.

On race day, woke up at 4:45am and left for Staten Island Ferry at 5:25am which was a 0.5 mile walk/jog away since I stayed at the Andaz Wall Street Hotel. Took the 6:15am ferry and hung out at ferry at Staten Island side. Stayed there too long as the bus lines were long and had to exit the bus because I was late for my wave and corral was closing. Managed to get to corral but had to talk my way in from the last corral on Wave 1 and worked my way back to Corral C.
Event warmup:

Warm-up was a mile run from the bus to the corral.
Run
  • 3h 29m 16s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Went with 3:20 pace group and may have started a bit fast but heart rate was under control mostly around 147 bpm or so. Was on track but had to go to rest room around Mile 13. Started feeling shin cramps going down the Queensborough and had to slow down a bit. Took electrolytes and seem to go away but lost the pace group. Really started cramping around Mile 23 and started feeling my legs. Couldn't get going even with low heart rate and legs just would not restart. Cramping into central park but managed to get pace up the last 0.4 miles and finished under 3:30
What would you do differently?:

First of all, I suspect I burned some matches running from the bus to the start so I should have gotten to corrals earlier.

I probably could have also run with the 3:25 pace group as I ran out of legs and they passed me 2 miles before the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

No real cool down. Walked up to reunion area near 75th and waited

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. I was already doing a very low mileage plan but still managed to miss key workouts, especially tempo runs. I didn't miss any long runs, but I do need to make sure I get the mid week runs done. Also need extra volume and probably need to add an extra day of easy running.

Event comments:

One of the best races in the world!

Last updated: 2016-11-08 12:00 AM
Running
03:29:16 | 26.2 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4613
Overall: 0/54000
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-11-08 1:24 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: New York City Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York City Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New York City Marathon

Started by laurentpoirier
Views: 1448 Posts: 1

2005-12-07 2:17 PM laurentpoirier

New York City Marathon

Started by drm1
Views: 1442 Posts: 1

2005-12-06 5:42 AM drm1

New York City Marathon

Started by homeraway
Views: 2951 Posts: 5

2005-11-19 7:39 PM runnerx

New York City Marathon

Started by zinker
Views: 2122 Posts: 5

2005-11-10 10:51 AM homeraway

New York City Marathon

Started by trouble
Views: 1744 Posts: 4

2005-11-07 7:38 AM PTinVA
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : July 31, 2006
author : Ontherun
This is NOT a diet book, but a weightloss book that has helped me change how I see food and the choices I make when I eat.