Timeout Productions
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 28s
Overall Rank = 327/671
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 33/51
Pre-race routine:

Got there early, set up transition and talked to fellow races. Tried to visualize the whole routine as best I could. Hit the toilet, ate some gel, drank some water, and hung around a bit.
Event warmup:

Got in the water, did a few strokes. Did some light stretching, hung out in the waiting area for the swim to start.
Swim
  • 09m 17s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt pretty good getting in the water. I started in the middle to the front of my wave. Got a good first 100 yards, felt like I was in good position going to the bouys. Some folks got out ahead, but I found a clear lane that kept me with good visibility of the bouys, and was really on my own. Around the first bouy, I really had a hard time breathing because the waves were big enough that I couldn't stroke without getting a mouthful of water. Decided to side stroke with my back to the waves, and was able to keep a good solid pace that kept me ahead of people in my wave, and I actually caught up to some others and passed.
What would you do differently?:

Considering the conditions, I don't think training would have done me any better. Perhaps more ocean OWS.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Everything was laid out very well. Took too much time putting my shoes on. I really need velcro straps.

Get tri shoes.
Bike
  • 32m
  • 10 miles
  • 18.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt really good on bike. I got some side stitches, I think because of all the salt water I drank during the swim. Was hard to hydrate properly because the salt water made me thirsty, but I didn't want to drink too much. I was in the aero position most of the time, and felt strong. Passed ALOT of people and only had 2 people pass me and stay ahead - they were both from the age group behind me and were riding time trial bikes.

Not drink so much sea water during the swim.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Good transition. I ran into and out of it. Everything laid out nicely. Shoes on, helmet off, all good.

Nothing.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.5 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't strong coming out of transition, but that was expected as running is my weakest of the 3 events. That's to be expected. Around .5 miles, I started hurting. Side stitches came back, shin splints acted up, and couldn't get any sort of rhythm. That's when the parade started. The parade of all the people I dusted while on the bike, running past me like I was standing still. Walked/jogged slowly until 2.5 miles, and then I was able to pick up the pace and finish relatively strongly. But not until people from swim waves 4 back from me passed me. It was unnerving, unsettling, and almost ruined a perfectly good day. My run SUCKED. SUCKED big gime.

Trained more for the run. Not drink so much sea water.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, shook out the legs, avoid the chunks of the lady who was throwing up in the chute to the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run training.

Event comments:

Great swim/bike, crappy run. That just about sums it up. I'm looking foward to doing this event next year.

Last updated: 2006-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:17 | 440 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 0/671
Performance: Good
Suit: tri suit
Course: Rectangle. Out, 90degree turn to right. Straight, 90 degree turn to right, in to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:00 | 10 miles | 18.75 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Fairly flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:00:00 | 03.5 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-10 8:36 AM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon

2006-09-10 10:49 AM
in reply to: #535501

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon

I hope you didn't finish that sprint in 7 hours....(You mean 1hr some 15 min, right?)

Drinking sea water gives you natural electrolytes.  This should be helpful 

Great job on the bike.  And I still think you had a good run. 

Did you get to see other BTers?  Wish I was there, but I won't trade my vacation for anything.  I did think of you guys while the ruise ship was in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. 

2006-09-10 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Ouch- sorry to hear about the run issues- and you didn't need some lady losing lunch in front of you on top of that! LOL- Ocean OWS sure is a different sport than swimming in the pool-for sure- but you did it and found a way to deal as best you could- all good. It was a great day for a race- sounds like you really had a GREAT bike ..and hung in there for your run...Congratulations to you!
2006-09-12 1:08 PM
in reply to: #535552

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Well, the standings have been posted. I figure I did the bike in about 32 minutes, as, if memory serves, T1 and T2 times were lumped into the bike portion. I remember running over the mat out of the water, and the next mat crossing was leaving for the run. Someone correct me if I'm wrong... 32 minute 10 mile bike ride means I hauled on the bike. If I met my goal of 1:15, I would have finished top 3rd of age group, and that would have made me happy. Bottom half does not make me happy.

Anyhoo, like I needed further evidence of what I need to train for next year...
2006-09-13 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

You did a great job out there!  Your bike was fast!  Too bad we didn't get to meet.

I hear you about the run.   Everyone passes me too...although this was my best run yet. I actually passed a few people toward the end.   I always end up talking to people to pass the time.

So weird about the crabs...I did the race with co workers and 2 of them saw the crabs and were horrified and the other 2 saw nothing.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon Rss Feed