Fall Frenzy Triathlon
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 8s
Overall Rank = 22/215
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/52
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and drank my normal routine of OJ. I didn't eat anything knowing we would have a 3 hour wait from the time transition opened to when my swim heat would go off. During the wait for my heat, I also had a banana and CLIF Bar with water - probably too much water. I must have taken 5 potty breaks before my swim. I saw and spoke with several BT'ers before and after the race.
Event warmup:

Virtually no warm-up, other than walking to and from the transition area and pool.
Swim
  • 10m 22s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was able to catch my breath on the run out to transition. This was a great swim for me - probably my fastest 500yd to date at 9m.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, but keep working on my stroke to get faster.
Transition 1
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

This was my first time trying to transition with my shoes clipped in and for the most part, went ok. I had a little problem getting my wet feet into the shoes even with the foot powder.

Next time, don't velcro my shoe straps at all and give my feet as much room as possible to slip in.
Bike
  • 35m 25s
  • 13 miles
  • 22.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really strong on the bike other than drinking too much. It wasn't too hot on the course, but I assumed I needed to replenish my fluids. Well my stomach started feeling a little uneasy and I had to spit out a mouthful of Accelerade or I was going to puke. I had a little lead on "Triathlonfun" and saw him after I hit the turnaround. I pushed as much as possible so he wouldn't catch me and he didn't - well, until the first half mile of the run.

Nothing other than manage my fluid intake better.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

I had a little problem getting my shoes off and placing my feet on top at the end of the bike. Well one went smoothly and the other didn't. There was a sharp turn right before the bike off area, so that didn't help much. I started to feel a small cramp in my left calf as I was slipping my running shoes on. I grabbed my race belt, exchanged hats and took off.

I need to spend more time working on my transitions. But I was still happy with today's performance. I took roughly 20s off of both T1 & T2 since my last race.
Run
  • 23m 53s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran out of gas. Do you ever have the feeling that you want to run faster, but you just can't get your legs going? Well, that was me. I didn't take any water during the run and didn't feel I needed any.

Just train more. I am really happy with my progress during my first year of triathlons and can't wait until 2007.
Post race
Warm down:

The warm-down consisted of water, walking around eating a little. I waited to see if I won the $1600 bike they were giving away - I came home with only one bike.

Event comments:

This was a well run race, although I got into the water a little behind schedule. I would definitely do this race again.

Last updated: 2006-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:22 | 500 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 0/215
Performance: Good
171 max HR 145 avg HR
Suit: tri suit
Course: Pool swim inside Parker Rec Center, then out to the transition area. The run to the transition area took me about 1m 20s.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:25 | 13 miles | 22.02 mile/hr
Performance: Good
165 max HR 156 avg HR
Wind: Little
Course: The course was flat for the first 2 miles, mile 3 was slightly uphill, and then rolling hills until the turnaround. On the way back, there was one big uphill at mile 9, and then flat coming on in.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:53 | 03 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Performance: Average
169 max HR 157 avg HR
Course: The course is an out and back south from the Rec Center along a concrete path. The run was flat, with just one steep uphill right before the finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes