General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Full Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Full Iron Course - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Naples, Florida
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 12h 00m 13s
Overall Rank = 11/43
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

Drove from Tallahassee to Naples day before race. Didn't have much of a chance to do anything but check-in and go to pre-race briefing. Forecast was calling for possible t-storms after midnight, so I did not drop-off bike at check-in.
Swim
  • 1h 24m 39s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Storm blew in the morning of race so there was a pretty good chop on the gulf. Waves made sighting and breathing difficult. All of the buoys were same color, which made it difficult to determine whether you were at turn buoy on a few occasions. Long run about 400 yd from swim exit to T1,with suit strippers located approximately half way.
What would you do differently?:

lighter goggles. accidentally grabbed mirrors out of bag in morning and didn't catch mistake until I was at swimstart.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Zipper stuck on suit made stripping difficult. Very unaggressive bike start due to rain
Bike
  • 5h 49m 48s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Came upon two half distance athletes at approximately mi17. As I was passing lead rider realized that pass was executed just as I was coming to 90 degree right turn. Only marking was single small placard 8"x12". Officer who was supposed to be controlling intersection was hanging out under the overhead at gas station due to rain. Went down trying to execute turn at approx. 23mph in rain. Broke left hand, and damaged non-drive side pedal. Injury and mechanical made for a long day on bike. Due to poor bike handling, and lack of sufficient personnel working aid stations, I was forced to stop at each aid station to take on nutrition/water. Torential rain for first 95mi, and strong headwinds from west also had negative impact on pace.

Not crash...
Transition 2
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

T2 was rough due to the fact that I did not use of left hand. Impacted bike handling coming into T2 and transition from bike gear to run gear
Run
  • 4h 39m 28s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Injuries from bike crash impacted stride/pace. Guarding both left hand and right elbow. Run course was moderately supported. They had run out of a lot of nutrition after the half distance race. During the race, some of the stations were resupplied, and people at one of the aid stations actually ran to a nearby gas station and bought coke!!!

Again, not crash. LOL
Post race
Warm down:

Woke up the EMT to get him to splint fractured hand.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crash at mi17 on bike had large impact on overall performance.

Event comments:

This race had some pretty significant organizational flaws. Seriously lacking in number of people supporting bike aid stations. Few, if any, had more than one person working. Made it difficult to get any more than one item as a hand up. On the run course, a number of aid stations had run out of things during half distance race or early in full distance race. Biggest issue was that T2 was located approx. 30 mi from race start. It had been briefed that there would be a shuttle to run athletes/bikes bake to start. However, shuttle stopped running after half distance race, and full distance athletes were forced to try to find someone with family and extra room in their car to get ride back, or pay for a taxi. They did at least have a couple of cold pizzas and some donuts to eat while you were figuring out how to get back to start.

Last updated: 2017-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:39 | 4224 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 20/43
Performance: Average
Avg HR - 127 Max HR - 157
Suit: Full
Course: 2 loop ocean swim, with very short beach run between laps.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
05:49:48 | 112 miles | 19.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 9/43
Performance: Below average
Normalized Power - 180 W Max Power - 469W
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
04:39:28 | 26.2 miles | 10m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 0/43
Performance: Below average
Max HR - 143 Avg HR - 126
Course: 2 loop out and back on sidewalk
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %UNK
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2017-03-18 10:22 PM

User image

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Full Iron Course

2017-03-21 12:44 PM
in reply to: #5216233

User image

Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Full Iron Course
What a cluster "F$@"! Congrats on pushing on after breaking your hand....you should have received a "Big Nuts!" trophy for that.

Sad to hear this race was so poorly managed. HITS always seems to get good publicity.

Congrats on a 12 hour finish though. I have completed 3 IMs, all 12+ hours....so I feel even more like an unaccomplished athlete knowing that you broke your hand early in the bike...ha ha...just kidding.

Congrats again and appreciate the RR.

2017-03-21 2:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Full Iron Course
Originally posted by Jeff B

What a cluster "F$@"! Congrats on pushing on after breaking your hand....you should have received a "Big Nuts!" trophy for that.

Sad to hear this race was so poorly managed. HITS always seems to get good publicity.

Congrats on a 12 hour finish though. I have completed 3 IMs, all 12+ hours....so I feel even more like an unaccomplished athlete knowing that you broke your hand early in the bike...ha ha...just kidding.

Congrats again and appreciate the RR.

Guessing this was supposed to be pink font?

HITS always seems to get good publicity

Congrats on the race forcefitness and awesome finish given your personal circumstances.

Edited by dandr614 2017-03-21 2:42 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Full Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HITS Triathlon Series: Napa Valley - Olympic Course

Started by Syndiethea
Views: 1690 Posts: 1

2017-01-16 1:48 PM Syndiethea

HITS Triathlon Series: Naples - Sprint Course

Started by destriero
Views: 1419 Posts: 1

2017-01-10 9:38 PM destriero

MiTitanium Triathlon - Full Iron Course

Started by kidtri33
Views: 1250 Posts: 1