United States
Timeout Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 49s
Overall Rank = 473/677
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 44/51
Pre-race routine:

Got up, took the Dawg for a walk, got the bikes ready and ate a bagle, yogurt, and some Gatorade. Rode 1/2 mile to the race course, setup my transition area and generally sorted my things out. Spoke to a bunch of people new to tri's and told them not to freak out if they couldn't breath at first, heard later that one of the women I spoke too was very thankful for me, as she told the Mrs.
Event warmup:

Rode bike to race, got in the water and got used to the cold. Couldn't breathe during the time I sat in the water, stayed for a while and got used to it for a bit,
Swim
  • 10m 46s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got in the water and I had a little trouble breathing, but not much. It seems that it IS the cold water that gives me diffulty breathing. I took until the 1st bouy to really feel better. Once I hit the bouy I could put my face in the water well. It felt good and that's when I felt the lack of swim training. I moved back and forth from crawl to breast. Overall I felt pretty good and was fairly happy. I also started slow and stayed back so that took time off
What would you do differently?:

Not much other than get a wetsuit and just more swiming. I'll get better.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

This is approx, took time off of the bike to estimate what my time was. I felt better, learned to walk first 10 yards to get over being 'water dizzy.'

Just move faster
Bike
  • 35m
  • 10 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt like I was stuck in the mud. I didn't train much, but hadn't been feeling great. I kept thinking I had a flat or some rubbing. I passed some people, and got blown by by others. Just didn't feel as good as prevoius races. Not sure why.

Train more, Don't take so much time off.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Was just slow

Not much, except get shoe on better
Run
  • 37m 58s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 10m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I need to learn to run "Like someone is chasing me." I tried that, unfortionately, pretty much EVERYONE caught up to me. Man am I slow. I was much slower at the beginning than the end. I felt like I had lead legs and the worked out about 1 mile in. I had to stop to fix my shoe as I had a wrinkle in my sock which bugged me. Then I took about 1+ minute to pee. Hey, when you gota go, you gota go. I saw a few people coming out of the woods so I went in. Boy I hope I didn't wind up exactly where the others went. If so, oh, well!

I'm getting a little sick of getting passed on the run. I feel like I can't get better. I turned to one guy who was passing me and who was at the same time being passed by someone even faster and yelled "Show-off" at least of one of them heard me, the slower one, and I'm pretty sure the faster guy had already broken the sound barrier at that point. I was in wave 4 - and I was labled D for my age group. I know the next wave was also D. I got passed by an H!! Old fast guys, suck - Oh, and so do the Old Fast WOMEN!

I AM proud of one thing on the run. There was a guy who passed me with about 200 yards to go. I said "F this" and I'm going to pass him. I caught up to him at the beginning of the turn and passed him on the SAND! I was at least 10 steps in front of him when I finished!

Run faster. I need to get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Had to wait for the mrs who looked pretty good as she finished! Waited with my buddy Sam and the Dawg who had a great time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and not feeling great for a week or so leading up to the race.

Event comments:

Was a great race. We stayed about 1/2 mile from the course at a place with the dog and made a weekend of it. Had a nice weekend with the Mrs, even got some great sleep, as we had seperate beds. There are nights where I think Lucy and Dezzy had it right. Leave it to the Brady's to spoil a good night's sleep!

Last updated: 2006-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:46 | 440 yards | 02m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 465/677
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Was a loop out about 80 yds or so and back to beach.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:00 | 10 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Overall: 373/677
Wind:
Course: Wind and fairly flat, nice and fast, at least for other people.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 80s
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:37:58 | 03.5 miles | 10m 51s  min/mile
Overall: 560/677
Course: No complaints. No major hills.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-09-12 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon

2006-09-12 8:30 PM
in reply to: #538721

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: RE: Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon
Hey - I probably set up transition right next to you!!! I was bib number 259 - age group D. I had similar problems on the run. I likened it to a parade. Fun race though - I look forward to doing it next year.

Did you see the crabs? I never did.
2006-09-12 9:19 PM

Champion

Hahaha...I run like someone is chasing me too, like a 1-legged man!    Awesome job, the swim is always rougher in salt water, so you'll be faster in the freshwater.  Nice race all around!

2006-09-12 9:50 PM
in reply to: #538758

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA

D.Z. - 2006-09-12 8:30 PM Hey - I probably set up transition right next to you!!! I was bib number 259 - age group D. I had similar problems on the run. I likened it to a parade. Fun race though - I look forward to doing it next year. Did you see the crabs? I never did.

What were you wearing? I was in your rack at some point and then Monica said "You idiot you're in the wrong rack!"

2006-09-13 5:50 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Nice race, Adam.  Can't believe you and DZ didn't meet.  You guys should have a better system of recognizing BTers, like the (silly) BT sign I made for Danskin. 

Nice job encouraging new triathletes. 

Running is always hard, on its own, not to mention running with jelly leges after the bike.  You did very well in this race. 

2006-09-13 7:19 AM
in reply to: #538850

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
I remember that!!!! I was once rack closer to the swim chute (further away from the bike/run starts). Holy crap. At that time, I think I was wearing a blue short sleeve excercise type shirt. At some point, I took it off and I have a red upper/black lower one piece tri suit.

Small world. Sorry we missed eachother.

2006-09-13 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

COOL RACE MAN!!  Glad you had a fun time and enjoyed the hospitality of the area.

I watched for ya at the swim and at the corner by the sand but didnt recognize you. LOL...a BT sign would have helped eh!?  

2006-09-13 8:06 AM
in reply to: #539014

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
I think I need to get teh big BT tatoo for my bald head!! I don't like logo clothes, but I'm thinking of buying / coming up with something!
2006-09-13 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

This was a fun race! Sorry to have missed you. We definitely need a sign!

I have trouble breathing when I first get in the water too. I did a nice long warm-up before that one.

2006-09-13 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
BT Tatoo for sure- WHEREVER you choose to place it! You had a good race- You WILL get faster- and sweet of you to reassure people about breathing issues with swim- bet it was HUGE for them. Don't mind those "ole people" ..they were slower once too- and HINT- "seasoned" might make you more buddies!!! LOL Only kidding. Congrtas on a good race- and here's to more BT gatherings!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hyannis Sprint 2 Triathlon Rss Feed