General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need a new helmet - suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-09-11 6:02 PM

Regular
Tempe, AZ
Subject: Need a new helmet - suggestions?
I am in the market for a new helmet. My current one is on its way out...had it since 2009 and oddly enough, has been my only piece of triathlon equipment I have not replaced or upgraded, other than buying and using an aerohelmet for racing.

I use my current helmet for both mtn biking and road cycling. For as much as I would like to have the giro air attack or the scott cadence helmets, I am looking for some suggestions on nice helmets that I can continue to use for both road and mtn biking that has some good features and good bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance.

2017-09-11 6:34 PM
in reply to: amills1210

User image

Subject: RE: Need a new helmet - suggestions?
Originally posted by amills1210

I am in the market for a new helmet. My current one is on its way out...had it since 2009 and oddly enough, has been my only piece of triathlon equipment I have not replaced or upgraded, other than buying and using an aerohelmet for racing.

I use my current helmet for both mtn biking and road cycling. For as much as I would like to have the giro air attack or the scott cadence helmets, I am looking for some suggestions on nice helmets that I can continue to use for both road and mtn biking that has some good features and good bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure I would recommend the same helmet for road riding and mountain biking. I have a POC Trabec MIPS helmet for mountain biking which I purchased last year after cracking my last helmet (Giro Montaro) in an front wheel washout. The helmet did it's job and protected me from a concussion or worse but afterwards I decided the replacement was going to be top of the line as far as back and side protection.

For road biking I want/need something light with good ventilation since I sometimes wear it for 4+ hours at a time. I've owned several but really like my Mavic Cosmic Ultimate...super comfy with plenty of vents. I would never wear it mountain biking though, just like I would never wear my POC road biking. I think you make too many compromises trying to have 1 helmet for both road and MTB. That's assuming that you're mountain biking is serious trail riding. If you're talking about just casual off road gravel and fire road rides then I guess you can wear any road helmet...
2017-09-11 7:38 PM
in reply to: gigolfer

buy the new Rudy boost01 can be used for road bike and tri bike check it out
https://www.e-rudy.com/en/products/detail/HL600001US
2017-09-12 10:29 AM
in reply to: amills1210

About a year ago I purchased a Giro Air Attack Shield. I really really love this helmet. It does everything I want. Good ventilation, easy adjusts, the shield works great, and is really aero (if you are aero).
2017-09-12 11:39 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Burchib

About a year ago I purchased a Giro Air Attack Shield. I really really love this helmet. It does everything I want. Good ventilation, easy adjusts, the shield works great, and is really aero (if you are aero).

I like the way the shield comes off and you can twist it around so you don't need to have it down. It travels well.

But in terms of "aeroness", it's better than many road helmets but it's far from the best from an aero perspective.
2017-09-14 1:21 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I have many POC helmets for different things, road, mountain, commuting. I like the look of them and the colours, but I crashed in 2016 from a 55kph sprint on the track and landing on my head and face. My POC helmet was completely dented, my tooth went through my lip and I had road rash all over my face. The emergency doctor said I definitely had a concussion, but I had 0 concussion symptoms. I did treat myself for a concussion by sitting in a dark room doing nothing for 3 days, but I had no symptoms except a slight headache. I did take a lot of drugs though. Anyway, I credit my POC helmet as part of the no concussion symptoms and I won't wear anything else at this time. 

At that time I didn't have a MIPS version, but now I do.

2017-09-15 9:26 AM
in reply to: marcag

Originally posted by marcag

I like the way the shield comes off and you can twist it around so you don't need to have it down. It travels well.

But in terms of "aeroness", it's better than many road helmets but it's far from the best from an aero perspective.

I agree totally, but "aeroness" is in the posture of the beholder more than any other factor
2017-09-16 8:17 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag

I agree totally, but "aeroness" is in the posture of the beholder more than any other factor

Yes, the riders position i.e. is he sitting up or nice and low makes the biggest difference by far. But as the rider comes down in a reasonable position, the helmet starts to make a big difference.

At a very high level I would say most people get the biggest benefit from their position #1, their clothes #2 and helmet #3. But hey, 5watts is 5watts and the little details add up.

I know of some testing next week that while being done for other reasons is going to quantity some of the road bike vs tri bike stuff
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need a new helmet - suggestions? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I need some new (cycling) shoes

Started by nc452010
Views: 674 Posts: 6

2017-02-17 10:42 PM ThomasGerlach ProTri

Tri top Suggestions.

Started by Dr Oz
Views: 746 Posts: 1

2017-02-12 9:40 PM Dr Oz

Burned out - need a new challenge