Twin Cities In Motion
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 45m 52s
Overall Rank = 3953/6637
Age Group = F40-45
Age Group Rank = 681/1173
Pre-race routine:

*overall rank is female only*

The day before I was SO tired, so I went to bed fairly early and easily after getting my stuff together.

Bob dropped me off downtown and I found virgin porta potties. I think they were for the Vikings game tailgaters, but whatever :) I did bag drop, saw some friends, etc. I was careful about how much I drank to avoid having to stop for a potty mid-race, my nemesis this year in other races. I had a shake for breakfast and tried to eat a bar in the car, but it was nasty. So the shake ,plus about 15 oz of caffeinated C.Light was the sum total of my intake.
Event warmup:

I lined up in the back of the B corral. They are split up by expected finish time and I didn't know where the cut off was, but I figured 1:45 since I saw the 1:40 pacer and no one else. SO I thought it was fair to go to the back, since I was planning 1:45-1:50. I can't remember the time I gave TCM, but it must have been low 1:40s. It took about 4 minutes to get from the corral to the starting line!
Run
  • 1h 45m 52s
  • 10 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

My main goal was to keep the effort easy feeling, so I didn't blow up later. I didn't really pay attention to pace, just effort. We were rained on pretty steadily for the first few miles, so at least i didn't get overheated!

I did a tiny bit of walking in mile 2, which is a good incline to cross the Franklin Ave bridge. This is a rolling course, so I was usually able to recover on the downhills. I realized my watch was on autopause, so I wasn't able to slack the few times I walked. It was annoying to me at first, but then I realized it was a hell of a motivator! It only paused once, that first time when I noticed it.

Miles 4-7 are a steady incline with the big hill up to Summit around mile 5. I did have to walk a bit there, it was the smart thing to do for me.

I had pretty good spirits and just chugged along. I was averaging about 10:35 pace at the halfway point, so I figured a sub 1:50 was in the bag. As it turned out, I improved my pace with a negative split! Bob took pictures at a few places between 5-9 which distracted me a bit. My feet hurt after mile 7.

I have done this race, and run along this route, enough times to have a good feel for what's going to happen. I think that helps a lot when you're pacing on effort. All in all I am really proud of my execution. I had to keep it real, knowing my preparation has been FAR less than it should have been.
Post race
Event comments:

I generally really like this race and TCM as an organization. I do wish they would tighten up the finish line stuff. The food lines are too slow, they should box or bag the food like other big city races. The finish stuff is REALLY spread out, so you end up walking too much. I just don't think it's necessary.

Last updated: 2016-10-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:52 | 10 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 681/1173
Overall: 3953/6637
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]