BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2017-11-26 1:51 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!)
GROUP FOCUS: (Triathlon any distance, run any distance)

NAME: Baowolf / Steve

STORY: I was new to all three sports in 2007, hit that 40 something, overweight needed something to challenge myself and found BT. I picked up a beginner plan and did my first sprint several months later.. then an Oly, HIM, IM, marathons including Boston. I have had some bumps along the way with 2 bike crashes, broken collar bone, a couple pulled calf muscles, a knee operation 3 years ago, plantar fasceitis this past year. I have lead 8 mentor groups or so and though I an not a coach I am happy to share my experience from the past 10 ish years of going from no base to 9 IMs 4 HIMs and 3 Marathons etc. All distances / abilities welcome but as you can see I tend to go long. My best IM is 11:40:xx, HIM 5:30:xx, Mary 3:19:xx and 3 miler 17:58. Don't ask about swim.

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily married 28 years, have 5 children, cat, and 10 ducks.

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally run 3-4x, bike 3-4x, swim 3 x per week and usually train for longer events HIM/IM or HM/marathon. I will hit some shorter races for fun. I have trained by HR, cadence, power, etc.. I usually design my own training plans because I know what I need and am planning on doing an IM for 2018, not sure about other races.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2017): IM Santa Rosa.

2016 RACES: I did IM Santa Rosa and Shamrock half mary.

WEIGHTLOSS: I like to race IM's around 145, but tend to put some pounds on during the offseason. Unfortunately I did put on quite a few pounds when I took 6 weeks off, so lets say I want to drop that 25 pounds again, sigh.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have been a mentor 8 years and try to check the group daily, but at least 3x a week. I have raced just about every distance Tri/run including some trail runs (not 50k or 100k yet). My philosophy is to build a base before working speed, to find balance in training and in your life and to view Triathlon as a lifestyle and not as a race that is coming up in 4 months. I try to communicate these ideas in a helpful way, but if your long run is 3 miles and you want to do a marathon in a week I will tell you that it is not wise to attempt that race as you don't have sufficient base for it. My goal is to train injury free to the extent possible through smart training. This is not one of those heck ya anyone can do an IM off the couch in 2 weeks kind of group. I want my members to go into races prepared, get a PR or at least finish with a smile on your face. If you are a short distance person (sprints, 5ks) this group is fine, I just don't know as much about running sub 6:00 mpm paces. Shorter event runners need to not compare their training to IM event folks it is a completely different training model. All distances are welcome though. All previous members of my groups are welcome even if they miss the sign up cuttoff. I like members to post once a week and if you sign up try to keep with it for at least 6 weeks before deciding to stop. It is ok if you want to check in less frequently, just let the group know what your availability is so we don't worry. I personally have shifted to an administrative job over the past 2 years and have to work at work/exercise/life balance. Anyone who wants in is in, you don't have to ask. I can speak to any of the IM courses I have done (IMTX, IMCDA, IM Boulder, IM Santa Rosa, IM Tahoe) .

2018-01-03 4:11 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!)
Good morning Steve!

After reading your intro, with a focus on balance and lifestyle, I'd like very much to join this group for 2018, if that's ok by you!

Name: Scott

My quick bio/story: Also a 40-something (hit 45 last year), and have always enjoyed training and being outside. I yo-yo'd with my weight in the early 2000s after leaving the army, but since 2007 (and a drastic change in my personal lifestyle) I've managed my weight rather steadily. I tend to put on 2-3 KGs in the winter and will work those off in the spring (hopefully). I like longer endurance stuff, that fits my build and mindset. I'd done some long distance bike racing and a marathon before deciding to try triathlon last year. I signed up with a local club's masters group and started swimming seriously last January. I thought I'd hate the swimming, but actually have been quite taken with it for the low-impact training effects. I completed two tris last year (an Oly and a Sprint), and set a new PR for 10K run race. I had a 70.3 as my main goal, but it was cancelled. In hindsight, that was probably not a bad thing. This year, I had a really cool/insane 70.3 as my main goal, called the Aurlandsfjellet Extreme Triathlon, but this too has been cancelled due to new laws here in Norway requiring all volunteers to re-certify on quite a few things before the ROs can hold their races. The Axtri RO says they'll be back in 2019.

Family status: Married 17 years, 2 kids and a dog

Current training: base miles on the bike-trainer, some strength training, cross-country skiing, and some runing with spiked shoes I try to get in 5-6 exercise days per week at this time of year.

One note: My children are rather young, and both are active, requiring their own training days that we support. So, I have to work to balance my goals/training with their needs and those of my wife (of course)! Anything over about 10-11 hours/week will be a challenge for me to maintain, without upsetting the balance at home.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2018): Here is my challenge. With AXtri being cancelled, I've lost my goal! Haugesund, Norway will host it's first full IM this year on 1 July (after hosting IM 70.3 the last 5 years), and I considered trying to make the leap...but I just haven't committed myself to that distance. May sound crazy, but it's the swim that concerns me the most, and logically that shouldn't make any sense.

So, my thought is to do 2 more olys this year (with thoughts towards AXtri in 2019), plus ride a really cool long-distance MTB race, and try for a new PR in the marathon. Feels like a balanced year to me.

2017 RACES: Finnskogen Triathlon (oly), Oslo Triathlong (sprint), Oslo 10K

2018-01-03 6:25 AM

User image

Oberusel, Hessen
Hello Steve,

I have never joined an online community but would like to give it a try and I like your approach. Here is a little about me:

Name: Michael

Life: American, age 51, living in Germany. Married 27 years. 1 kid in college and one in high school

Racing: Started running in 2002 and did first marathon in 2006. I have done 1 marathon per year (usually in the fall) for more than 10 years. My marathon PR is 3:20 in 2009 but I typically run about 3:45 these days. Got into Tri's when I lived in Singapore several years ago. Now I do at least one tri (usually oly) per year. Still would like to get into longer distances. I started to train for a half IM a couple years ago but was having trouble getting the workouts (especially bike) into my work-family-training balance. Thus my interest in the theme of your group. My bike legs are not great and my swim is awful. I usually get out of the water in the botton 10%, pass just the MTBs and city bikes on the bike, and then make up some ground on the run. My last oly was 02:57.

Balance: I am an executive in a German company and travel frequently between my home near Frankfurt and a work apartment 200km away. I also travel outside germany about 30% of the time so workouts on the road are very important for me.

The rain just stopped so I will head out for a run now!

Cheers.
Michael
2018-01-03 2:46 PM
in reply to: mdzink

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It would be a push to be IM ready for you for July 1. I have a June 10 IM, but I am currently swimming 4000 yards long, run 11 miles long and bike 50 miles as my base, so I will be building up from there. I usualy do 4 run 4 bike 3 swim per week. My best Marathon was 3:19, so we are close in speed, but ya, haven't been able to get in that shape for some time with promotion to administration, move, etc.

As far as fitting things in, I biked 28 miles on the trainer before work today and will run 7 miles before work tomorrow.
2018-01-04 3:40 AM

Hi,

just like Michael I've never had been in an online community... but I need something different to help me in this journey.

Name: Carlos
Life: I'm a 38 male from Portugal, living in Lisbon. Married and father of a beautiful 5 year old girl.
Training: I am following a simple plan that includes a rest day and 6 training days alternating run and bike. Swimming is on old since I've been diagnosed a shoulder calcification and I am now in rehab. I am having trouble in managing work, family and training...
Goals: finish my first HIM (Cascais Ironman 70.3 in September 30th). In the way, I would like to do a sprint or other sort distance tri.

I've started this odyssey last year when I was about 92kg (about 200 pounds) I finally completed my Bachelors degree in Computer Science. I needed to do something to promote my health. As a youngster I used to swim 3 times per week and used a bike to comute (and MTB on weekends). So I thought to myself "why not an HIM?"

In 2016 x-mas I did 10k in 60 minutes (I was training for two months). Last x-mas I did the same race in 48 minutes. I am now about 82kg (180 pounds), I've ran an half-marathon in 2hrs (last April), my longest bike was 230km (143 mi) in 11hrs and longest swim 3000m (1h14m). I know that my numbers aren't that impressive, but they are mine and I am proud of them.

Work-family-training balance is my main issue. It's been so hard to wake up at least at 6AM (in Portugal, usually I start working at 9AM) to have time to do a run or a bike workout... At the end of the day its family time.

Carlos
2018-01-04 11:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Welcome all. The great part about triathlon training is that everyone is supportive of you racing at your speed. Finished dead last > did not finish > did not show > sat on the couch and watched other people play sports.

Welcome to a healthy lifestyle.

Is your shoulder calcified or do you have impingement? What are the docs gonna do about the calcification if that has been confirmed?

Edited by Baowolf 2018-01-04 11:31 PM

2018-01-05 3:25 AM

Originally posted by Baowolf

Welcome all. The great part about triathlon training is that everyone is supportive of you racing at your speed. Finished dead last > did not finish > did not show > sat on the couch and watched other people play sports.

Welcome to a healthy lifestyle.

Is your shoulder calcified or do you have impingement? What are the docs gonna do about the calcification if that has been confirmed?

Hi

It's a calcification in a tendon, its confirmed. But It's a very small calcification. Usually I don't have any pain. Even when I put 2000 yards in the pool. The only time I feel pain is when I put my backpack on or wear a jacket that is hard to dress (shoulder rotation with my arm [partially] extended).

I'm now doing physiotherapy twice a week and if it does not work... back to the doctor's office again.

Finally!!! Today I managed to wake and get out of bed for a run before work!!! I was slow and short... but I did the hardest: get out of the bed for a run!
2018-01-05 8:06 PM
in reply to: cconst

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I had a calcification of tendons in the knee area. They went in orthoscopically and vacumed out the calcification. I haven't had any problems since and it healed quickly. It was a quick in and out surgery, probably 3 hours or so from stepping in the front door to leaving the hospital.
2018-01-07 10:32 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
How were the weekend workouts? I got in 60 mile bike, 12 mile run and 3500 yard swim. But did eat that extra slice of pizza... Oh well Monday is a new day. My fluid trainer died after 10 years, but I was able to just get a replacement for the resistance unit, so I don't have to buy a completely new setup.
2018-01-08 6:06 AM

Not a great weekend here... dealing with a cold and a very clogged nose (I know that is a lousy escuse... and I'm feeling awful)
2018-01-08 9:00 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud

How were the weekend workouts? I got in 60 mile bike, 12 mile run and 3500 yard swim. But did eat that extra slice of pizza... Oh well Monday is a new day. My fluid trainer died after 10 years, but I was able to just get a replacement for the resistance unit, so I don't have to buy a completely new setup.

The good news is I'm getting my "annual sports injuries" knocked out early. Hip and ankle Hip is now fine and the ankle is on the mend! If they come in "threes" I'll be soon good to go for the rest of year.

Got in an easy 40 min spin on the bike-trainer to test the ankle on Saturday; it felt fine Did 2500 meters in the pool on Sunday, and had a very nice 4km hike with my wife in the afternoon. Again, the ankle felt fine. But I'll not run on it for another week.

2018-01-08 9:06 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud

It would be a push to be IM ready for you for July 1. I have a June 10 IM, but I am currently swimming 4000 yards long, run 11 miles long and bike 50 miles as my base, so I will be building up from there. I usualy do 4 run 4 bike 3 swim per week. My best Marathon was 3:19, so we are close in speed, but ya, haven't been able to get in that shape for some time with promotion to administration, move, etc.

As far as fitting things in, I biked 28 miles on the trainer before work today and will run 7 miles before work tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips.

Over the weekend, my plan for the year solidified (by chance). So, I'll avoid the IM this year and do the following:

June - Hove Tri - an oly at a campground in southern norway, with a lovely protected fjord swim and great atmosphere! (my kids and dog will attend!)

July - Finnskogen Tri - another oly (my very first tri ever last year). Again, a great grass-roots race with only 80 racers. I have a bone to pick with the swim there...it did not go well for me last year!

August - Telemark Helten - 110km mountain bike race in honor of the Norwegian resistance fighters that blew up the heavy water facility in Rjukan, Norway during WWII. And Gunnar Sønsteby, Norway's most decorated soldier. Really cool and challenging terrain. And a neat back-story.

September - Oslo Marathon. I'd like to hit the magic 3:25 mark, and qualify for Boston. My familiy is from Mass. It would be awesome run it in 2019...
2018-01-08 9:09 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Originally posted by mdzink

Name: Michael

Life: American, age 51, living in Germany. Married 27 years. 1 kid in college and one in high school

• Cheers.
    Michael

Cheers from another American expat I'm in Norway, just over 10 years now...
    2018-01-08 11:25 PM

User image

Elite
    Alturas, California
    I did Boston one year, bring warm clothes as you sit outside for like 3-4 hours before the race starts on cold wet grass with not so much as a windbreak.

The marathon itself is hard to keep pace on as you are always going up or down somewhat for the entire race and have people pretty close to you for the entire distance. Also very few porta poties after the start of the race.

But once you race it you will have bragging rights. You tell people that you completed 9 Ironmans and people are like cool, but you tell them you finished Boston marathon and they are like wow!

More important to get healthy than to hit every workout when sick. Sometimes rest is the best part of your workout.

Edited by Baowolf 2018-01-08 11:42 PM
    2018-01-09 7:39 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud

I did Boston one year, bring warm clothes as you sit outside for like 3-4 hours before the race starts on cold wet grass with not so much as a windbreak.

The marathon itself is hard to keep pace on as you are always going up or down somewhat for the entire race and have people pretty close to you for the entire distance. Also very few porta poties after the start of the race.

But once you race it you will have bragging rights. You tell people that you completed 9 Ironmans and people are like cool, but you tell them you finished Boston marathon and they are like wow!

More important to get healthy than to hit every workout when sick. Sometimes rest is the best part of your workout.

I've heard that before about Boston! The whole "wow" response. Heck, I do it everytime I meet someone who's run it. I think if, A) I qualify and B) make the cut for a start number, and C) actually have the time and money to fly over for the race...well, I'd just really enjoy the whole experience and not worry too much about the pace during the actual race.

But hey, I'll just throw out a wow for your 9 IMs...from a newb tri person, that is a legit wow!

Edited by flyor64 2018-01-09 7:39 AM
    2018-01-10 9:10 PM
    in reply to: flyor64

User image

Elite
    Alturas, California
    Completing the long races is all about just getting your workouts in consistently and then doing a smart race, getting the right amount of fluids, calories and pace right.

2018-01-13 5:42 PM

User image

Oberusel, Hessen
    Howdy.

In an attempt to jump start my January motivation I just registered for an Olympic Distance in Wurzburg Germany on June 24. I should look for an early 10k or something to get me moving. A race on my calendar always helps me stay motivated when the weather is crap.

Michael
    2018-01-16 2:29 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
    Originally posted by mdzink

Howdy.

In an attempt to jump start my January motivation I just registered for an Olympic Distance in Wurzburg Germany on June 24. I should look for an early 10k or something to get me moving. A race on my calendar always helps me stay motivated when the weather is crap.

Michael

Nice!

I signed up for a 42km MTB race in May...it’ll keep me on the trainer!

Which is good, cuz we’re getting hammered right now. Over 1 m/3 ft of snow in the last 24 hours...and still dumping!
    2018-01-16 10:37 PM

User image

Elite
    Alturas, California
    Nice snowstorm. I probably have 15k-20k miles on the trainer including some 100mile rides. It was um.... 60 with a little drizzle today here. Although I used to live in Wisconsin where we could get a 3 foot dump.
    2018-01-21 8:33 PM

User image

Elite
    Alturas, California
    How are workouts going. This weekend was recovery week so 40 mile bike, 3, 8 run, 3000 yard swim.

Any questions about building speed, calories during race, etc.?
    2018-01-21 9:58 PM

Subject: .

Edited by IowaRose 2018-02-07 11:59 AM

2018-01-22 12:36 AM
    in reply to: #5231456

User image

Oberusel, Hessen
    Very impressive recovery weekend, Steve. My accomplishment was signing up for a 10k hill climb in April. Still don't have my mojo back. I will hit the trainer later today.
    2018-01-22 10:47 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
    Saturday I got a 24km ride on the trainer, and 5km hike with the wife

Sunday I swam 2300m and 8km cross country ski in the afternoon (with wife again )

Nice weekend! I’m on travel again this whole week, but will get in a run and a swim while here.

Question on speed. I’m slow in the water, so I’ve been concentrating on technique and getting faster with lots of 100s and 50s, etc. My splits seem to hover in the 1:50-1:55 range. Don’t really see any consistent improvements. The occasional 1:45.

Realistically, if I can get under 2:00/100m for the whole race in an oly, I’d be happy...

Any tips? Ideas?

Edited by flyor64 2018-01-22 10:48 AM
    2018-01-22 10:59 AM

Hi all!

I would like to be like the rest of you, putting a lots of miles (in my case Km), but that's not the case.

Things are getting hard here in Portugal. Unfortunately it's not the weather...

I think I am failing in Life balance... I would like to have 2 full mornings for long workouts but I can't get it to happen. My family comes first. The result is that I am starting to get frustrated because I am consistently failing on one of the two long workouts.

So this weekend I've made a decision: I will only do a long workout per weekend (alternating bike - 80+km and swim+run) i hope that's enough. On weekdays, alternate run and bike. for now, swimming is out of the equation since I haven't had medical authorization (but my shoulder is improving).

Next Sunday I have a race: End of Europe Race: it's a race to the westernmost extent of mainland Portugal, continental Europe and the Eurasian land mass. 17km (10.5mi) trough Sintra, with a positive gain of 547m (1800 feet).

I've been feeling quite good on my last runs, and felt my time improve over the last couple of months.... but this race scares-me. My goal is under 1h35min but...

Any advice for this week - before and for the race?
    2018-01-22 11:15 PM

User image

Elite
    Alturas, California
    The best advice I have for the swim is to find a coach. I swim 300,000 yards + for 10 years and still swim slowly, no coach within 50 miles.

Is that a bike or a run race this weekend? I would need to know more about your fitness and time goals to help with advice.

I currently get up at 5:30 am and bike 30 miles in time to make sure the kids are ready to go off to school in the morning. On Sunday I run before church and make sure family is ready to go out the door. Depending on your race distance you can get in 7 workouts a week before the kids are awake and after they go to bed. Depending on your work, a quick 4-5 mile run is sometimes possible to get some base miles in during lunch.

Ironman training is going to cut in to some family time, no matter what you do. If you start your bike ride at 5:30 am on Saturday and ride for 7 hours, you can still do family stuff in the afternoon though. Same on Sunday. You can get in a 16 mile run before 9:30 am and still do things with the family for the rest of the day. Most families waste at least 5-10 hours a day on weekends.

Edited by Baowolf 2018-01-22 11:20 PM
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Rss Feed  

of 4