BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2018-01-23 3:37 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

Subject: RE: Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!)
Next week it's a run event. A very hilly one.

What I try to do:
Wake up every work day at 5h45 apart from Monday which is my rest day (I'll go for a run or a static bike ride - alternating). At 7 I'm at home and start to wake everybody and start preparing breakfasts... Two days a week, my daughter has ballet lessons for 45 minutes, and during that time I usually go for a ride on a static bike at the gym (or a run, depending on what I've done in the morning). On weekends, I try to do my long workouts (12+ mi runs and >50+ mi bike). My goal is to do an half IM.

My problem is with the weekends... I can't overload my wife. She can't be alone half of the weekend... And more: we still like to spend time together (house shores not included).

And I feel that not being able to do accomplish this training plan on weekends is compromising my weekly workouts. In December I've been very lazy... missed very workouts...

That's why I've made this resolution: I'll take a day off on weekends.

About my fitness: You can go to my training log (every now and then I sync with strava) or follow-me on strava (https://www.strava.com/athletes/18744806)

2018-01-23 4:36 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Originally posted by Baowolf

The best advice I have for the swim is to find a coach. I swim 300,000 yards + for 10 years and still swim slowly, no coach within 50 miles.

A coach will be difficult for me as well. But I have been a member of the masters group of the nearest swim team, and get occasional tips from the coaches that train youngins next to us in the pool. Not all of it helps. They know I train for tris, but their backgrounds are clearly in the “go fast in the pool” area. But some of it definitely helps. Catch and pull are a good example. Mine were horrible, and they’ve been helping me fix that

I’ve had no luck finding a tri swim coach, but will keep an eye out!

It’s probably just more time swimming properly that I need. I’ll keep at it!
2018-01-23 1:00 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: .

Edited by IowaRose 2018-02-07 12:00 PM
2018-01-23 8:51 PM

Subject: .

Edited by IowaRose 2018-02-07 12:00 PM
2018-01-23 10:13 PM
in reply to: cconst

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So a hilly trail run will probably take you around 1:45-2 hours. This would mean taking in 100 calories (like a gel) at 1 hour and at 1:30 into your race with 3-4 oz of water to chase it down. Your pace looks like 10:30 to 11:00 mpm, but hard to tell as how hilly is hilly and how rocky bumpy is the trail.
2018-01-29 3:10 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Still snowing here!

Weekend consisted of an everning ride on Friday (on the trainer sadly). I'm considering putting gears and spike tires on my 29er to make her a winter commuter/trainer. I already run in spike shoes, so why not do some riding too!

Got in a great crosscountry ski on Saturday. But I also fell on hard ice and banged up my left knee pretty good. Was not able to run later that day Still can't run for that matter. May try an easy roll on the bike this evening...

Did get a nice swim in on Sunday though. Don't use bum knees so it was very comfortable getting my 2000m in

2018-01-29 3:24 AM

Hi Steve (and ALL of you),

Well this run was always on tarmac. Always going up or down... maybe 5% flat (and I think that I'm being generous).

16,81km on 1h33m14s, better than I anticipated (by 46 seconds... but better). However, by biggest WIN was the fact that this were my first event where I've made and followed a strategy, from wake up to finish line. Made everything as planned, and the outcome was that I overcome my expectations!!!

Today, my legs hurt a bit... but I guess that's normal

Oh! the link for the race on strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1379661354

2018-01-29 9:19 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Originally posted by cconst

Hi Steve (and ALL of you),

Well this run was always on tarmac. Always going up or down... maybe 5% flat (and I think that I'm being generous).

16,81km on 1h33m14s, better than I anticipated (by 46 seconds... but better). However, by biggest WIN was the fact that this were my first event where I've made and followed a strategy, from wake up to finish line. Made everything as planned, and the outcome was that I overcome my expectations!!!

Today, my legs hurt a bit... but I guess that's normal

Oh! the link for the race on strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1379661354

Congratulations!!!
2018-01-29 11:18 PM
in reply to: flyor64

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
That was a really good race based on your run logs on BT. Nicely done.
2018-02-05 9:50 AM

Thanks Steve and flyor64!

I guess that 70% of my training is done just out of the bed (fasting)... so I think that's why my training log is a bit slow paced.

I am moving forward now and over the past weekend I've been (almost) challenged to do my first 70.3. It will happen on Sep 30th, what gives me plenty of time to prepare myself. At least I think it does. (I've given myself until may to register. I should know by then if it is an achievable goal or not).

I am just considering this because I had good news from my physiotherapist: she told me to start swimming again! (easy at first, obviously) .

But this brings me to one major doubt (because I can't afford a coach and there are no tri club in the neighborhood):
* should I follow a training plan?
* should I train myself? If so, how should I organize my week? I was thinking on doing 2 short (45min to 60) of each discipline on weekdays, one strength other speed/cadence/series) and on saturday or sunday a long or brick to increase endurance.

I am a huge fan of trainingpeaks (I like the layout, how it shows the week, missed sessions...) are there any training plan that I should follow?

Any literature? Joel Friel Trainig Bible?

Thanks again!
2018-02-05 2:06 PM

User image

Oberusel, Hessen
Hi.
I could not train without a plan. It keeps me motivated and keeps me honest. The design of a good plan will also use perioditization to build strength over a longer period. There are lots of plans out there so I definitely recommend picking one and getting it into your calendar.

Michael

2018-02-07 11:22 PM
in reply to: mdzink

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yes following a plan is very very helpful. BT has plans or you can find them just about anywhere on line or in books. Basically you need to figure out what frequency you want to do workouts. Minimum would be 3 run 3 bike 2 swim. You can do more than that like 4 run 3 bike 3 swim or even 5 run 4 bike 3 swim. You have 1 long 1 short and at least 1 mid per week. For a first HIM or IM you would start with an easier plan as far as not as much high intensity work as you are trying to get the endurance to complete the race. After you have one or two under your belt you can work on more speed. If you are younger you can work more intensity earlier as you can recover quicker.

You also have harder and slower workouts during the week. Your long run is typically slower the run after your long run is typically slower with a harder workout in the middle. You don't really need a coach unless you want one to teach you how to swim or swim faster or if you are going to win and place high in regional/national races. I can provide more info if you want on this.
2018-02-08 9:32 AM

Finally I went to the pool after more than 2 months of no swimming. I felt better than I imagined: I did a 1000m (~1000yards) in 34 minutes and stopped only because I felt I were abusing my luck. My shoulder behave just fine (very very little pain) when swimming freestyle or breath stroke. Swimming on my back was another story: the pain came back.

Today I spoke to my physiotherapist about this pain and she told me to keep swimming but to go slowly.

Regarding to training plans: I know that there are plenty out there, free, cheap or not so cheap. All kinds of it. But do you(all) have some experience with some training plan? Which? What are your feedback? I was planning to have 3 run 3 bike 2 swim distributed by 6 days with one day off.

regards,
Carlos
2018-02-08 9:14 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I wouldn't spend much money on a plan, they are all pretty similar. Your long run goes up by 1 mile per week, recovery every 3rd week if older than 40, every 4th week if younger than 40. Swim is + 300 yards per week on long swim, bike is plus 5-10 miles per week on long bike. I usually make my own plan.

Run could be: 3,3,5 3,4,6, 4,4,7 3,3,5, 458, 559, 5 6 10, 3 4 6, 6 6 11, 6 7 12..... etc. long ends up around 16 or 17 miles and 3 week taper for IM, 2 week taper for HIM. .
2018-02-14 8:17 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Hello peeps!

Just checking in, as it's been over a week I'd guess. I've had a pretty bad cold with a fever since last Wednesday. It's going around over here, as they say.

Starting to feel a bit better and the fever broke late Sunday night, so I got in a very easy trainer ride yesterday evening, and that went ok. Haven't run, nor swam in over a week thought. Feeling a bit sluggish and hoping to get out this weekend...

Hope all is well for everyone else.
2018-02-19 11:25 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Glad you are feeling better. Ease back into it, don't over train too soon, getting fully recovered is more important.

Myself, I have pulled a calf muscle and will be trying to recover from that before IM Boulder in June, sigh.

2018-02-21 7:58 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud

Glad you are feeling better. Ease back into it, don't over train too soon, getting fully recovered is more important.

Myself, I have pulled a calf muscle and will be trying to recover from that before IM Boulder in June, sigh.

Ugh. That's not a fun one to recover from... Good luck!

I got in a nice ski, an easy run, and an easy swim this past weekend before traveling. I'm now back home and hope to have a couple of nice sessions going into the weekend.

We've not had this much snow in over 9 years. Forecasters are saying we will have a skiable snow well into May this year...it could put a bit of a drain on my early season goals. The MTB race I'm signed up for in May could actually cancelled! Oh well, I'll keep running on spiked shoes, I guess
2018-03-10 8:38 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hi all, how are things going with your training?

I am trying to maintain/regain fitness while trying to not do any more damage to the calf. The race is now 13 weeks away and with 3 week taper that gives me 10 weeks to build to race distances. So not really enough time to get in shape to get a good time in the race, but if I can balance the training without further instance I can complete the race in 14-15 hours (hopefully not slower than 16 hours).

At this point I am adjusting my training plan during workouts based on how the calf feels in the moment. This can be a bit tricky, so if anyone needs to talk about injury recovery or anything for that matter ask away. Try to check in every couple weeks so others can see how you are doing as that is kind of the purpose of having a group.....
2018-03-12 4:17 AM

Hi all!

I think it's been two weeks since last time that I came here. Its time for some update:

I've signed up in Trainerroad because I needed a structured plan but I didn't know if following a plan was for me or not. Trainerroad has a few training plans for triathlon as well (Sprint, Olympic, HIM and IM distances) separated in three phases: base, build and specialty. All days are different but sessions are not to complex. However it is more focused on bike.

I am now on the beginning of week 3 of 8 (base) and I think that I will continue with Trainerroad. It is giving me some focus and motivation (indoor cycling sessions were becoming an obligation...).

As I see some evolution on my running and cycling abilities, I am not seeing the same evolution on swimming. I'll keep working and doing the drills (I hate kicking drills... so I guess those are the one that I need the most...) and surely I'll be able to swim faster (for now, my goal is to go under 2min/100m in a lap session of 1800 to 2000m).

2018-03-13 4:18 AM

Hi all,

Due to professional issues I won't be able to do all workouts on my plan (I'll have to miss swimming workouts). What should I do? Do I ignore it and go through the rest of the plan? Or when I'll go swimming again should I pickup where I left?

2018-03-14 10:22 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
You can do some power cord workouts, etc. to help maintain some arm strength for swim muscles.

I forget what distance race you are going to do.

If you still intend to do the race, you need to keep run and bike strong and swim as you can, even if only once a week on the weekend and survive the race. Tell me more,,,,

2018-03-15 4:01 AM

You can do some power cord workouts, etc. to help maintain some arm strength for swim muscles.

I forget what distance race you are going to do.

If you still intend to do the race, you need to keep run and bike strong and swim as you can, even if only once a week on the weekend and survive the race. Tell me more,,,,

I am going for an HIM in September 30th (Cascais - Portugal). I'll try to do one Sprint and one Olympic before that (and other running events - half marathons, 10 and 15km). I think I have enough time even if I never done a triathlon event before.

I am training every day having one rest day (Sunday its family day). I am alternating bike and run + swim workouts. On Saturday Its my long session (usually a long run and a longer swimming session without drills).

Don't know if it is enough or not, but considering my family/work balance I can't find the room for more training sessions (already training before sunrise... and listening my wife saying that I am obsessed with training...)

2018-03-20 10:38 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Your run base is fine to build for a HIM, your swim is fine to complete the swim. Your bike is sucky and will take a while to build up. Even if it is on a trainer.

Just tell your wife that you are trying to get tight abs so she will find you more attractive and that you want to stay healthy so you will live longer... and ask her if she would like you to do the dishes tonight. 8).

You can add in that you want to be in shape to complete the race safely, but then she will likely say then don't do the race....

Or... some men buy a sports car and go parachuting ..... I am being healthy and doing something that I find challenging that will make me happy. What would make you happy...? Or... pick a place for a vacation.. where a triathlon is and we can go there for a vacation and a race, win win.
2018-03-21 4:27 AM

It seems that I have to focus more on my bike sessions. I know I'm not a fast rider (nor runner or swimmer), but always though that my weakest sport were running. Why do you say that my bike is sucky?!

If I tell my wife that I want some tight abs she'll ask me if I'm having an affair... :S and dishes are already mine.

I'll start looking for a sports car...
2018-03-22 10:30 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Your long run is 9ish and you can bring that up to 13-15 miles in 6 weeks or so. Your swim is 1500 ish and you can bring that up to 2200 in 6 weeks. Your long bike is 15 miles ish and you need to bring that up to 60 miles. That is going to take you more like 10-12 weeks to get solid with a lot of work. You are quadrupling your distance in this area where you are only increasing by 50 percent in the other areas.

Edited by Baowolf 2018-03-22 10:33 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Rss Feed  

of 4