BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2018-04-05 9:04 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!)
March's Totals:
Swim: 13h 53m 30s - 40500 Yd
Bike: 17h 15m - 330 M
Run: 15h 23m 33s - 97.57 M

Not great given how close IM is, but a lot more than last month. Still adjusting workouts around the calf. Hopefully I hold together enough to race.

How is everyone's training going?

2018-04-16 11:14 AM

Hi guys

15 days ago I had to get one of my wisdom tooth removed. tree days without training, my doctor told-me. Then I went for a long weekend in Italy... Landed on Monday night and ran in Tuesday 10km.

Yesterday I did a 20km running race...I was not sure if it was a good idea to go... but I went anyway. It was an almost flat course (with 2 150m long climb) and planned to go easy for the first Km or 2. Tried to do over 5:30/km... but when I watched my 735xt It showed (most of the times) 5:10 or 5:15.... So I let myself go.

When I passed 15km mark I decided to go under 4:50 till finish line. It was a bit hard and sometimes I didn't managed to do it (never went over 5:00/km though). But I've finished strong.

My best 20km ever @5:07/km (8:15/Mi).

I guess I've found how to do a tapper week... or two
2018-04-17 5:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Nice race cconst!

My March totals weren't awesome, but I did do a bit of everything, while dealing with some minor hip and back issues. Plus, quite a bit of travel and then the Easter break.

Bike: 6h 27m 06s - 64.3 KM
Run: 5h 40m 51s - 59.37 KM
Gym: 1h 40m
Hiking: 30m
Snowboarding: 5h 00m

My April is back to a more traditional plan. I've done some really good rides now that the snow is melting and even got in a nice 18km run this past weekend.

My first race of the year is this Saturday. A 10KM in Oslo where I plan to be in the 48-49 minute range. No sense in pushing it too hard this early in the season

Edited by flyor64 2018-04-17 5:39 AM
2018-04-17 5:58 AM
in reply to: flyor64

Thanks flyor64!

Have a nice race this Saturday. And yes, I think you are wright: better to go easy than hard and injure yourself.
2018-04-23 8:08 AM
in reply to: cconst

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
The race went pretty well. We had beautiful sunny weather and 16 celsius. Just about perfect, except for the wind, which was only a real problem for about 1km towards the end.

My official time was 46:55 for the 10KM. Solid front-of-middle-of-pack stuff

Which was nice, but I think I may have pushed a little too hard, and now have a rather sore left calf muscle. I think I may have strained a bit, and if so, it will really hamper my training going forward this year... crossing my fingers it isn't too bad
2018-04-24 11:49 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I am currently recovering from one of those calf pulls. Be very careful with that. Avoid hills and intensity on the run and bike, see how it goes. If you feel pain after a run or bike or during drop back to a walk for some time. It takes a solid 10 weeks to really recover a miner calf pull. You an do some training but very lite, lots of walking. If you mess with it... more like 6 months to recover.

2018-05-05 10:46 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Last 3 peak build weeks before taper to IM. 95 mile bike today... so far. Oh well, if I can continue without injury I should be able to finish the race ok. It won't be super fast, but if I can make the bike cut off I should be good.
2018-05-15 5:32 AM

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
Originally posted by Baowolf

I am currently recovering from one of those calf pulls. Be very careful with that. Avoid hills and intensity on the run and bike, see how it goes. If you feel pain after a run or bike or during drop back to a walk for some time. It takes a solid 10 weeks to really recover a miner calf pull. You an do some training but very lite, lots of walking. If you mess with it... more like 6 months to recover.

Apologies for not responding sooner...haven't been on for a bit! I've been taking it very easy and the calf feels fine now. Still not pushing it. I've had only one run since the race and rest of my training has been only on the bike, which has not bothered it all, thankfully.

Still not pushing super-hard and taking it rather slowly.

I've also been seeing a physiotherapist for the first time in my life. My goal is to get away from my over-reliance on the chiropractor for my lower back, hip, and pelvis issues that I've had for all of these years. I have to say, so far, I'm a believer. She has focused on the muscles all around my core, and while the treatments are quite painful, I've been keeping up with the daily drills she gives me, and I've not had any issues with my core area since. I can also say I've not been this flexible in over 15 years...

So, I'll keep up the routine and I will now add yoga into my weekly training...something my wife has been telling me to do for all of those 15 years!

I have my first (and only) tri for this year in about 30 days. I'm feeling ok for it, but if my leg acts up, then I'll not do the race (I'm not very good at backing off during a race...). Either way, it won't be a "fast" race either way, as my "build" is next to nothing.

How's your build going? Have you done your first IM of the year?
2018-05-15 9:38 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yup, try to not push during a race, hard to do. Core work and muscle balance sounds like a good idea. I have to watch my knees and shoulder for muscle balance from swim and bike.

That said, my Ironman in 4 weeks is going to be slow related to the calf pull. I am starting to get back in shape, but just not enough time. My swim is fine, run is lite but not the worst, bike is the problem. Longest bike has only been 95 miles so far.
2018-05-29 10:31 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Race number 1589, less than 2 weeks to IM Boulder.

Calf is doing alright, irritated left shoulder just last week, but should be able to finish the race.

Let the bike chain get to old, so now I have to replace that and the rear cogs... oh well.

How's everyone doing in training racing?
2018-05-30 12:36 PM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
steve, good luck in IM boulder. i haven't been active in the forums but i'm still training! after doing 2 IMs last year, i'm focusing on short races, with escape philly tri sprint coming up end of june. hoping to qualify for usat ag nationals again. got a coach for the first time this year too!

2018-05-31 8:22 PM
in reply to: #5231456

Is this group still open?
2018-06-03 2:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Thanks. Your Rav 3 HIM was pretty decent last year. We are about the same speed at that distance. When I can get healthy that is. I am still adjusting training to being older... the body runs into some issues here and there with overuse etc.

Group stays open common in.

Let us know what you are training for, ask any questions etc...

Edited by Baowolf 2018-06-03 2:25 PM
2018-06-09 2:06 PM
in reply to: #5231456

I'll join.

Name: Mike B.

Weight: 235. Clydesdale.

Family:

Married 20 years in August. Two kids (10 year old boy and 8 year old girl).

My work:

I am a CFP but I make my living brokering low cost term life insurance for the clients of other CFPs.

About The Username:

Watch Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. He's one of my favorite TV characters of all time.

My Tri Goals:

1. Complete my first 70.3 on Sept. 30 of this year in Kerrville.
2. Break 3 hours in the CapTexTri in Austin (my hometown) next year. I missed for the third try this past Memorial Day.
3. The Full IM is definitely on the bucket list but I don't think I'll have time to train for it until my kids are out of the house.

My other passion in life:

I am a coach at heart. Have coached 16 seasons of youth flag football and moving on to coach Pop Warner this fall with my son.

Some of My Story:

Last year I changed my nutrition, finally got a handle on my food addiction/cravings, and dropped 70 lbs in about 100 days. It was nuts.

Before I started this plan, I had tried all kinds of crap and it failed. I used to be able to exercise my way back into shape, but some sort of age/metabolism "switch" flipped and I was lost and pretty hopeless. My attempt to train only blew me up in weight and inflammation.

Enter new diet (let's just call it the Leafy Green Clean Keto plan), and I finally could see the light again. I made plans to get back in the saddle for Memorial Day this year.

I had planned to train for 3 months but life happened (move, job changes, etc) and I skipped my whole second month of training. Ouch. Even so, I maximized those last 5 weeks and felt I had a great shot at breaking 3 hours.

But it was a record day for heat and I cramped badly on the last 5K and finished at 304:55. I take some small comfort that the mean time for the whole race for males was 6 minutes higher than last year. It was hot AF. And I forgot to take my damn salt tabs on the bike (doh!).

Now I'm looking to capture the momentum from this event and slingshot my way to the 70.3 . . . which will be the fitness achievement of a lifetime for me . . . at least until I do my first full IM. I think if I can maintain a strong base through the Winter, I will come back to the CapTex in May and destroy 3 hours for the Oly.

Why I Love Triathlons:

I use training to keep my body and my mind in a good place. I have dealt with mental illness, addictions, and weight issues all my life. This sport is one of my safe places where I know I can turn off all the noise, go for it, and (for the most part) not get myself into trouble.

I love the way my body feels from all the cross-training. I did a marathon once and it chewed me up and spit me out. That's when I decided to do Triathlons because I love endurance but needed to spread the training to the rest of my body and mind.

It's something I hope to pass on to my kids and invite my extremely patient and awesome wife to share with me when she is ready.

I plan to touch base here and update my progress each week. I'm using an RPE training guide I hacked together into a Google Doc from a few different sites. Perhaps I should link it?

Hope we can help press each other forward!

2018-06-10 10:34 PM
in reply to: #5244415

I did 23 miles on the bike today. Hadn't done much since my Olympic on Memorial Day. My shoulder has healed from the wreck I had in that race. My hammy is also recovered from the pull I had leading up to that race. So I'm healthy as I head into Week 1 of my training for 70.3 in Kerrville. I've got 16 weeks to get ready.
2018-06-11 3:21 AM
in reply to: Saul Goodman

First of all: welcome Mike B!

One thing's funny: I am also on week one of my 16 week training (8+8) for an 70.3 IM on September 30th... But in Cascais, Portugal!

One thing that's not so funny: It will be my first 70.3.

Last Saturday I did my first ever triathlon race. I've finished last of my age group. But that's ok. It was a sprint one.
If you don't remember, I never did competitive sport... or regular sport... until October of 2016 when I put this goal in my head.

Last race was very stressful. What do I do first. Where is the sign in office. What do I need to check in? Did I forget something? Will I survive in the middle of all of those athletes in the water? These year I had not practice a single open water swim...

None of that mattered. I did everything I was supposed to do till race time. Went to the water (15 minutes earlier). Watched the woman start in the water. Then a shoal of neoprene athletes started to position themselves in the start line. I stayed back. When the race started, I started swimming and tried (and managed) to find my space in the water. Surprisingly I started to swim by others athletes and my confidence boosted and everything else (other concerns slipped by my mind and never came back).

Transitions were fine. Only struggled a bit on bike to run... struggled to find my spot.

The best: swimming. It went better than I anticipated.
The worst part: running. It was only 5km. But by then I was out of strength. But still managed to run in 25'49".

Final time: 1h31'29'' (32 minutes after winner):
- swim: 15'02''
- bike: 50'38''
- run: 25'49''

What I've learned:
- I must eat no matter what. Last Saturday I race with a scrambled egg and a baguette (3 hours earlier...) with pre-race stress I forgot to eat and hydrate properly... It affected my last lap on the bike and the running segment.
- I need to work harder on my bike. I toke 50'38'' to finish the bike leg (21km)

Overall it was overwhelming. But I know for sure that I will repeat it again!

2018-06-11 6:54 AM
in reply to: #5244443

Way to go, Cconst! Sept 30 will be my first 70.3, too. How cool to find a comrade here!

Let's push each to greatness, which for me really means just finishing. My greatest achievement to date in endurance has been a marathon in 2010.

So this will raise the bar. Sounds like for both of us.

That's a great time for your first tri! Well done!
2018-06-11 7:23 AM

Originally posted by Saul Goodman
Let's push each to greatness,

Let's GO!

which for me really means just finishing.

Same here. I have no intentions on a podium (LOL) or an age-group top-ten. Just want to finish with a BIG smile on my face!

My greatest achievement to date in endurance has been a marathon in 2010.

Well... you got me here. My greatest achievement were a couple of half-marathons last year (and a 20km this year), and a 300+km bike ride that took me all day (just two riders). Rain, wind, hills... we got it all (including a sore bottom).

So this will raise the bar. Sounds like for both of us.

That's a great time for your first tri! Well done!

This will definitely raise the bar for me. Last Saturday was a small sample of what is waiting... And it will be harder than I initially thought. Way harder...

16 weeks to go
2018-06-11 11:26 AM
in reply to: #5244460

Hey, CConst, do you use Strava or any other tracking community. I'd love to link up. I'm not sure how to share my profile link. Do you know how?
2018-06-11 11:39 AM
in reply to: #5244481

Today I did a moderate 10K because it was on my training plan and because I finally wanted to face the truth about my hydration issues. So I knew that I needed to do an hour run and see what my fluid loss was.

Well, I knew I had a problem . . . but didn't think it was this bad.

I started at 237.2. An hour later after running in sub 80 temps, overcast, with a pleasant breeze, I was at 231.9. 5.3 lbs.

Basically I'm losing 2.5% body weight per hour. And that's not even on a super hot day.

At first glance it looks like to replace that over a 6.5 hour race (my goal for the 70.3 in Sept), I basically need to consume 4.5 gallons of fluids.

Next part is to assess the nutrient loss, electrolytes, etc. I cake my clothes in salt after long runs. It might be a bigger problem than the fluid loss.

Gonna post this on the main board to see if folks have any suggestions.
2018-06-11 11:44 AM

Hey, CConst, do you use Strava or any other tracking community. I'd love to link up. I'm not sure how to share my profile link. Do you know how?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18744806

2018-06-12 4:45 PM
in reply to: #5244484

My 40 minute moderate training ride ended abruptly and quite painfully when, on a steep decent, I hit a new (and unmarked) road bump. Cracked my helmet. Road rash all down my right side. Besides my helmet (which probably saved my life), my right butt cheek took the brunt of the impact . . . And hurts like hell.

Need advice on what to do about training with road rash. Never tried it. I'm going to have a very sorry neck tomorrow. It is already starting to get stiff.

I'm not worried about a concussion or anything. The helmet did it's job. I was never out or even woozy. It just hurt badly through my right hip to my tailbone.

I have never had road rash this bad in my life. I almost cried while taking a shower to clean it out. Glad my family was gone. I was screaming like I was being tortured.

Oh well.

Bike is in good shape, still. Hurray for aluminium.
2018-06-13 6:36 AM
in reply to: #5244576

Sorry to ear that. Hope you get better fast.
2018-06-17 10:31 PM
in reply to: #5244590

Back at it this AM. Rode 42 miles. Felt solid. Grateful to get back to training. I have yet to try the water with the road rash but plan to give it a run tomorrow. I might try a light jog as well. I tried to jog 400M on Saturday but my ass was still so swollen on my right side that it felt like I had an extra butt cheek on one side. So I didn't push it. I might need to go on an elliptical machine for a bit to keep the impact low. We will see. Wish me luck. Thanks for the kudos, CConst!
2018-06-26 4:01 AM

Back at it this AM. Rode 42 miles. Felt solid. Grateful to get back to training. I have yet to try the water with the road rash but plan to give it a run tomorrow. I might try a light jog as well. I tried to jog 400M on Saturday but my was still so swollen on my right side that it felt like I had an extra butt cheek on one side. So I didn't push it. I might need to go on an elliptical machine for a bit to keep the impact low. We will see. Wish me luck. Thanks for the kudos, CConst!

How is your training going? Have you been able to do something with that road rash?!

It's less than 100 days to race day!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Rss Feed  

of 4