General Discussion Triathlon Talk » blood glucose level Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-01 11:53 AM

Subject: blood glucose level
Hi,

I am a researcher at NYU Langone Medical Center. We are developing a non-invasive method to measure blood glucose levels for diabetic patients in real-time but would also like to know if such a method would be useful for the high-performance athlete like you.

We are testing our technology but need to raise capital for further research (translation to application), so we like to carry out some market research to see if our technology can generate enough interest from the public.

I like to ask a few questions:

1. At what level (competition vs recreational level) an athlete will want to monitor their blood glucose level?

2. Is it useful to measure the blood glucose level during a competition?

3. How often do you currently handle your glucose monitoring - how many times/day do you check? How do you do it?.

4. Are there things about the current methods that are painful/inaccurate/inconvenient/expensive/slow and/or any other related problems or challenges?

5. How much do the current method cost (if you are using it)?

6. How much do you want to spend on monitoring your glucose per year?

It's a lot of questions. You don't need to answer all of them but I hope that you can give us your insight.

Cheuk Hei Ho

2018-03-01 12:22 PM
in reply to: cheukhei.ho

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: blood glucose level
I cannot help you with any of your questions - but there is (was) a diabetic based team that races in the Tour of California. Maybe you can contact them: http://teamtype1.org/
2018-03-01 8:14 PM
in reply to: bwingate

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will contact them.

Considering the response I am getting so far, I guess people don't really measure their blood glucose level even in a competition like Triathalon......

2018-03-02 3:55 AM
in reply to: cheukhei.ho

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cheukhei.ho

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will contact them.

Considering the response I am getting so far, I guess people don't really measure their blood glucose level even in a competition like Triathalon......

On slowtwitch there are several members that are type 1 that do. Several use a CGM to monitor everything after the swim

I am diabetic, almost a cross of a T1 and T2. I do not measure in any distance below full IM as I am very n tune with my glucos levels. Last year I did the full and wasted 20min as my meter was not working and I did use the medical tent to get measurements

For the non diabetic glucose readings would have not much value in an endurance race.

I believe non evasive systems that use techniques such as NIRS could be beneficial. I have heard the FDA gets in the way of such devices becoming available.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » blood glucose level Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Entry Level Road BIke?

Started by booniebonnie
Views: 620 Posts: 6

2018-02-24 4:31 PM audiojan

Blood blisters

Started by mortirolo
Views: 503 Posts: 1

2017-10-03 12:15 PM mortirolo

Low blood pressure??