Setup Events
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 10s
Overall Rank = 17/198
Age Group = Military
Age Group Rank = 3/23
Pre-race routine:

Drove up with the wife and kids the day before the race. We hit packet pickup as soon as it opened at 1600. Then dropped the Dimond off at the Inns of the Corps Beaufort (on the airfield 20 minutes from Parris Island). Then we went to the Upper Crust for chicken fajita pizza then went to common ground coffee shop to have evening coffee and treats. We watched the sunset over town and then enjoyed the evening on the board walk. Went back to the hotel and had a quiet evening before the race. Hotel opened breakfast at 0600 and made Belgium waffles, eggs, sausage, and coffee so I was very full and we left the hotel at 0720 for a 0900 race start.
Event warmup:

Got to base at 0745 made it thorough transition setup and then took the Dimond out for a quick 2 mile check ride with .5 mile hard interval. Took 4 anti fatgue caps and headed to the pool. Came back to the pool and put my lava pants on got in a quick 200m with 50m hard. Got in line and waited for the start. I seeded myself correct at 1:21/100 yard time so the had me at #52 going off.
Swim
  • 08m 23s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

Based on my expected swim time I seeded myself at 1:21/100 meter which put me as 52th swimmer going off but actual results had me as the 16th fastest swim after comparing men and women. I swam very hard for the first 250 passing 5-6 people. from 250-350 I couldn't get around the slower guy because he insisted on doing flip turns. I finally made a pass and then the woman behind me passed me so I just drafted her the final 150 of the course which was good because I was pretty blown up. I got out of the water and my watch read 8:08 for my best Parris Island swim ever out of 5 races, took 15 seconds to get from the pool into transition.
What would you do differently?:

I only had 3 weeks of swim practice over the last 6 months due to submarine duty. Overall, very pleased with the swim effort.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

So my T1 was a hot mess and it cost me 2nd place in the military division. The race temp was about 50 degrees when I started and I was wet so I had a plan to put on socks and arm sleeves in T1. I struggles with both of these tasks due to being wet. Then I tried to put my halo band on with my new specialized s-works helmet and the halo band went into my eyes, so I had to take everything off and re-attack. Finally, my bike got stuck on the rack coming under and that cost me a few extra seconds. By this time I was the last person left in transition from my rack and i was very frustrated.

Skip putting on clothes while wet in T1.
Bike
  • 28m 49s
  • 10.7 miles
  • 22.28 mile/hr
Comments:

I wasted the first .5 miles trying to get my arm sleeves on holding about 19mph. Then held 23mph out to the range where we do the 4 square turn, I followed the lady in front of me through the turns because she picked some aggressive lines and I was worried about the potholes (post race she lives on base and bikes the course weekly). From there until the golf course I held between 24-25mph steady with HR between 177-178BPM. I was worried that I would blow up on the run and decided to throttle back a bit. I wasted the lollipop turnaround by going 15 mph and catching my breath. On the run back I was between 22-23mph with HR between 172-174BPM. Rode it back in and was ready to run. The sum total caused me to be about a minute off my previous 2 best bikes.

Race pacing, need to maintain max effort. Also not a bad effort for not pushing race pace for several months and having <100 miles on the Dimond.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Still trying to find out how to be quicker.

Need to re-calculate T2 process, maybe even practice.
Run
  • 19m 20s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

The first .2miles my left foot hurt bad like plantar fasciitis was going to win the day but after the early turns I got into a mantra and everything was ok. Coming off the bike I saw a guy named Tyler who was a marine and I knew that based on his swim seeding that I had 2 minutes on him and I figured that I would pass him and have an easy race. Slowly over the first half of the race he opened his lead from 20 seconds to 40 seconds and was accelerating. At the turn saw Hipp on his way back, Shenal at the sign and passed Abby at the turn around. I kept pushing hard constantly evaluating the splits. At 2 miles in a guy with IM passed me on the run and was hauling (he ended up running a 16:40 and took 2nd place, see T1 comment). That broke me for a moment but I knew I had at least 3rd because I was still up on tyler. My HR kept climbing higher and higher peaking at 180BPM (redline) until I crossed the finishline. That push was required because I held off tyler for 3rd by 7 seconds.

Again not a bad run considering I had minimal speed training from coming off the submarine deployment. More speed work in the future is required.
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately crossed the finish line and laid there until my HR returned to normal. Grabbed a sweet tea, tuna sandwhich, fruit and a couple cookies. Cheered and talked to friends, was very social with everyone. Packed up transition and hung around for awards. Ended up finishing 3rd in military division and got a large vase.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited training time due to 5 month submarine deployment

Event comments:

I took 3rd military division but also would have taken 1st in 40-44 year old age group. This event is always awesome and I love the ability to beat marines! Setup events always delivers an amazing race and this year did not disappoint. USAT score was high at 84.275.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2018-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:23 | 500 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 14/198
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Lava Pants
Course: 500 meter of swimming, 10 lanes of 25 meter are open and there is 2 way traffic in each lane.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:28:49 | 10.7 miles | 22.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 14/198
Performance: Average
HR 174bpm, cadence 98rpm, estimated power 231watts https://www.strava.com/activities/1445727631
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: https://www.relive.cc/view/1445739762 website lists ""The bike course is fast. Depending on the wind you may find a few sections of headwind and a few sections of tail wind. Either way this is a great chance to see just how fast you can go on a bike."
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 98
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:20 | 02.9 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 23/198
Performance: Good
average HR 177bpm 1st mile - 6:46 - 172bpm, 2nd mile - 6:40 - 177bpm, 3rd mile - 6:46 - 179bpm https://www.strava.com/activities/1445727621/overview
Course: https://www.relive.cc/view/1445727621 The run course also is flat and fast. A very simple out and back course. All turns are marked on the pavement. The course is mostly closed to traffic.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes