General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimum training to maintain fitness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-16 12:54 AM

Subject: Minimum training to maintain fitness
There is a local triathlon event in August that I am really interested in. The only problem for me that it is 4.5 weeks after my second child is due and my my ability to train during that period is obviously going to be extremely limited.

If I am able to continue training hard up to right before the baby is due what would be the minimum amount of training I could get away with to maintain race fitness? I think realistically the first two weeks would be completely out of the question but I could fit some well targeted workouts into the following two weeks. Obviously I wouldn't want to be training to hard in the last couple of weeks before a race anyway.

2018-03-16 8:14 AM
in reply to: B.K

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Subject: RE: Minimum training to maintain fitness
Couple questions.
1. What's the distance?
2. How many hours do you think you could get per the 4.5 weeks? It's more a question of what you can do and survive rather than a min number of hours to hit.

You can do a lot with 3 to 4 hours a week assuming it's not more than an Olympic (could probably be ok with longer if properly trained before hand).

But, keep in mind you better clear the training (any of it) and attending the race with the person that just pushed out a human.
2018-03-16 9:22 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Maintain fitness for what?  

The minimum training to maintain fitness for an Ironman distance race or a marathon is far higher than the minimum training to maintain fitness for a 5K or sprint tri.  Similarly, the minimum training to maintain fitness to podium a 5K is far higher than to complete the 5K.  

You can work it two ways:  

Keep your expectations for the race high and be conflicted about dedicating the training required to achieve that goal while you're immersed in a major life change.  

Adjust your expectations for the race based on the significant life event immediately preceding the race and the "loss of fitness" at those distances that will occur if you aren't training.  

If you've a MOPer and have trained only for that distance up until 5-6 weeks before the race and do absolutely nothing until you start the race:  you'll loose a few seconds/100 on the swim, ~1 mph on the bike (or experience some fading late in the ride), maybe 10-15 seconds/mile on the run (with some fading).  

Now if you're training before the race far exceeds the race, you may experience less "fitness loss" at the race distance.  E.g. if you're regularly riding 35-40 miles at 18 mph, you might not notice a "loss" in a 15-mile sprint even without riding.  

Execute a race strategy based on how you're actually trained, and you'll probably have a good race.  This is true whether you're faced with a major life event or not.  

2018-03-16 11:42 AM

User image

Regular
Take option 2.....Pick a race next year and enjoy your newborn without distraction.
2018-03-16 11:46 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by B.K There is a local triathlon event in August that I am really interested in. The only problem for me that it is 4.5 weeks after my second child is due and my my ability to train during that period is obviously going to be extremely limited. If I am able to continue training hard up to right before the baby is due what would be the minimum amount of training I could get away with to maintain race fitness? I think realistically the first two weeks would be completely out of the question but I could fit some well targeted workouts into the following two weeks. Obviously I wouldn't want to be training to hard in the last couple of weeks before a race anyway.

You may need to talk to you spouse about this one.  Mine would feel slighted if I were trying to gear up for a race rather than painting the nursery,  going to check-ups with her, planning all the meals, shopping for the 101 essentials items on her list of things required before the new arrival, packing hospital bags and overnight bags for kiddo No. 1 to take to the sitters, test driving routes and alternative routes for the new arrival, etc.   If you are concerned about not having enough time to prepare for the race, then it might be best to hold off on this one until next year. 

As far as fitness goes...you can always go slower and make it through an event.   if you can get a couple of work outs in a weeks you can make it through the event.  The four week couch tapper is not recommended but some people probably have success with it.

2018-03-16 10:09 PM
in reply to: #5239923

I should have mentioned the event has the option for an olympic distance or a sprint distance, with mypreference being for Olympic distance. I will be doing my first olympic distance in mid April and will be able to continue training right up to the week the baby is due.

I don't expect the event to sell out so I would leave registering until the last minute to see how my wife and baby are doing and how well I feel. It goes without saying that I won't be entering without express permission.

My goals for the race would be to simply finish and enjoy myself. I only expect to be BOP this year. I have a long way to go with my running to get to MOP.

In terms of realistic time I could dedicate to workouts, I think 0 hours for the first two weeks and 3-4 hours for the next two weeks. In the second two weeks I don't think I could get to the pool but some indoor trainer work and short runs would be achievable.

2018-03-16 11:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Some nihilist would say you can do a sprint triathlon without training. I did one and had only run 4 times to get ready for it. Since I'm kind of a show off on the bike when I got about half way through the run I felt like I was going to die.

For me, the minimum training for a sprint would be 2 x two mile runs a week. 2 x 500 yd swims a week and 2 x 10 mile bike rides a week.

Could do this: 15 minutes to get ready for the run, 20 minutes to do the run and 10 minutes to cool down. In a hot summer it may take me way longer to cool down from the run.

When I bike I can be ready in 5 minutes and ride from my house. Takes about 35 minutes. Afterwards since I wear a helmet I almost always have to shower and wash my hair. This is about 20 minutes.

The swim, I have a pool 1 minute away from my office. It takes me 5 minutes to get in the water, 10 to swim and 5 to get ready afterwards. I can sometimes do this during lunch.

Run x 2 = 1:30 hours
Bike x 2 = 2:10 hours
Swim x 2 = :40 hours

Total for minimum training sprint = 4:20 hours.

For an Olympic add 20 minutes a session to the run
35 minutes a session for the bike
10 minutes a session for the swim

Total for Olympic would be 6:30 hours for minimum.

This is just to do it. To do it well you would have to add at least 30% or more to the training.

It's certainly possible. You just have to want to do it. If you're anything like I am, your mental health requires some time of aerobic activity almost every day. Others may begrudge your training. My daughter in law had a baby about a year ago. She has started back training again. I think she does better when she's working out.

2018-03-17 8:37 PM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

Coming off a solid base of fitness, you'll lose a bit, but that could be mostly offset by being really fresh. I wouldn't worry about your fitness, but I would want to make sure my wife was 100% on board and not that thing where they say they are on-board but really just say that because they feel you will do whatever you want to in the end but they really don't want you to.
2018-03-20 9:02 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
You say you're expecting your 2nd child. So you know should what you're in for.

We have a 9 month old, and from the last 9 months experience I personally think you're very ambitious to have any structured training in the first month of bringing a baby home, even if it's only a couple of hours a week. Your best option is to try and grab a quick workout if and when the opportunities present themselves. You might get more than you expect, or you might get none. It all depends on the little monster. That said, if you really have to do that specific race 4 weeks of minimal to no training wont stop you completing. Like McFuzz said, go in with realistic expectations of how you will preform and you will be fine.

Side note: don't forget babies don't always arrive on time... so you could have 6 weeks, or you could have 3. Unless of course Mrs B.K. is going to have a planned C section, but that's a topic for a different forum me thinks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimum training to maintain fitness Rss Feed