General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike suggestions for a real beginner... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-05-01 5:47 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Bike suggestions for a real beginner...

My little boy is 18 months tomorrow and I'm already looking at bikes.  Seems like there is a trend for "balance" bikes as a method for little ones to start biking.  Basically, no pedals, and you glide and coast to get them used to balance before getting them on peddles.  They say it's almost instinctual.

Most suggest starting at 2yr old, but maybe as early as 18 months.  So maybe I'm thinking Christmas present.

Any parents out there with some first had experience, first with the learning method, and second, the bikes?

I'm digging on the composite framed FirstBike.  But all the big brands got them.  Cannondale, Trek, Specialized....

He's already running around the house and everywhere we go, and getting him in the pool this summer!

2018-05-02 7:00 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Bike suggestions for a real beginner...

My four-yr-old started on a balance bike at 18 months -- one I made for her. Within the first day she was looking for hills to ride down. She's on her second now, and the next build in my queue is her first with pedals.

Yes, it's very instinctual. They'll start slow, and work up to gliding along. They get the hang of it quickly, and will be riding with their feet in the air soon enough. It depends on the child as to how soon they're ready. Very physical types will take to it sooner. My older daughter didn't even start walking until 16 months. The younger was running around the house at 9 months.

2018-05-02 8:45 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

No advice on the bikes, but one key to getting someone (of any age) to ride is to have them look "long-range."  The natural tendency is to look at the front wheel and they only see they're riding off the sidewalk when they hit grass.  I had my boys focus on the stop sign at the end of the block with pretty good success.  

2018-05-02 5:55 PM
in reply to: #5242663

User image

I have twin boys. We put them on the balance bikes and within 2-3 tries they were coasting down our driveway at a decent speed.
2018-05-03 9:19 AM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Consider this from my experience.

I've seen kids learn to ride a real bike faster using a regular bike and training wheels than the glider bikes by around a year sooner. This includes my kids and neighborhood kids.

Glider bikes don't teach the complexity of pedaling AND keeping balance.

But they do whiz around on those glider bikes fast, but if they don't have brakes, that might not be a good thing.
2018-05-03 10:33 AM

Meh...
It's like potty training.
They all learn how to do it eventually. Assuming they have access to some bike and some toilet.
Some take longer than others. Some learn sooner than others.
But, just as using the bathroom....learning to ride a year earlier...or a year later....doesn't have any significant impact on their desire to ride a bike, or their longterm ability to ride a bike. Or their enjoyment. Well, not that using the toilet is enjoyable....unless of course ,there's M&Ms or stickers or something involved.

I mean, I feel like I just got out of diapers, and now with advancing age...I'm concerned I'll be right back on them again. But, I'm pretty sure I can still ride.

2018-05-03 6:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
An option is to get the (used) bike that he will ride for the first year, but take off the crank/pedals/chain... Effectively creating a 'balance bike', but not needing to replace it at additional cost in the very short time period it will be needed

• ..frugally,

• kelly
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike suggestions for a real beginner... Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Bike Suggestions

Started by amarkham
    Views: 1467 Posts: 6

2018-04-20 10:29 PM pistuo

Beginner Bike Question

Started by jwd
    Views: 1148 Posts: 15

2018-03-21 2:39 PM jwd

Used bike suggestions based on Retul fit numbers?

Started by QCA Tri
    Views: 985 Posts: 11

2017-11-27 6:55 AM BlueBoy26

Beginner Advice on Tri Distance (swim)

Started by mdsfx
    Views: 2506 Posts: 19

2017-07-12 5:09 PM marysia83

Watch suggestions

Started by trishie
    Views: 1890 Posts: 6

2017-06-30 5:51 PM CBess