General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions about gear bags and change tents Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-05-07 8:31 AM

Subject: Questions about gear bags and change tents
Hi All -

I am trying to understand how the gear bags work even after reading the IM Maryland athlete's guide thoroughly.

I understand that I will have a bike gear bag with suggested items such as sunglasses, socks, bike shoes, helmet etc.

I will also have a run gear bag with suggested items such as run shoes, race belt/bib, etc.

The two gear bags need to be checked in along with the bike the day before the race.

Transition then opens the next morning at 5am so that I have access to your bike to pump the tires.

I am confused as to when I will see the bike gear bag and the run gear bag next. Do I see them both in transition in the morning and lay everything out on a towel like I did at my local triathlons? I am thinking not, otherwise I don't see the point of checking all of that in the day before.

I plan on changing out of bike shorts and jersey in T2 and putting on my comfortable running shorts and T shirt. How exactly do the change tents work? Do I rack my bike, go into a tent, then I am handed my run bag from a volunteer? Do I put my bike shorts into the bag and hand it back?

I am also confused about coming into T1, do I strip out of my wetsuit right next to my bike (I have bike gear on already under it). Is my helmet already on my bike or is it still in the bike gear bag?

I know my questions are all over the place, I guess I am just looking for someone to explain the process of gear bags and changing tents in order that they happen.

FWIW, I have only done two triathlons and for both of them I had everything for the entire race laying on a towel next to my bike in transition.

Thanks for your help

2018-05-07 8:52 AM
in reply to: bluestacks867

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Questions about gear bags and change tents

IM transitions are an entirely different beast than shorter races.  

T1:  
They'll probably have volunteers help you strip out of your wetsuit at the beginning of transition.  
After removing your wetsuit, you'll get your T1 (bike) bag, you can go into the changing tent, get ready for your bike.  
Wetsuit and swim gear go into the T1 bag.  Usually hand it to a volunteer.  
Retrieve your bike, exit T1.  

T2:  
Depending on the race, a volunteer will take your bike.  
You'll get your T2 (Run) bag, enter the changing tent, get ready to run.
Your bike gear goes in the T2 bag, probably hand it to a volunteer who will take it over to your bike.  
Exit T2.  

After the race, they'll either have both bags with your bike or both bags together (they usually have large wall-racks for the transition bags and they aren't with the bikes, but this can be race specific.)  

2018-05-07 9:44 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

Originally posted by McFuzz

IM transitions are an entirely different beast than shorter races.  

T1:  
They'll probably have volunteers help you strip out of your wetsuit at the beginning of transition.  
After removing your wetsuit, you'll get your T1 (bike) bag, you can go into the changing tent, get ready for your bike.  
Wetsuit and swim gear go into the T1 bag.  Usually hand it to a volunteer.  
Retrieve your bike, exit T1.  

T2:  
Depending on the race, a volunteer will take your bike.  
You'll get your T2 (Run) bag, enter the changing tent, get ready to run.
Your bike gear goes in the T2 bag, probably hand it to a volunteer who will take it over to your bike.  
Exit T2.  

After the race, they'll either have both bags with your bike or both bags together (they usually have large wall-racks for the transition bags and they aren't with the bikes, but this can be race specific.)  

Thanks McFuzz,

So it sounds like other than bicycles, no other loose items should be left laying in the transition. Would that be an accurate statement?

As you described is sounds like everything is handled in the change tent. I would come into the tent with a wet suit / goggles / cap, put them in my T1 bag, and leave the tent already wearing my bike shoes and helmet that came out of the T1 bag.

I realize a lot of this will be covered in the athlete briefing and there is also a separate meeting event for "first timers" that I will be attending. But I do like to figure out as much as I can months in advance so I am well prepared mentally.

I appreciate you explaining it.
Thanks

2018-05-07 10:07 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by bluestacks867

So it sounds like other than bicycles, no other loose items should be left laying in the transition. Would that be an accurate statement?

As you described is sounds like everything is handled in the change tent. I would come into the tent with a wet suit / goggles / cap, put them in my T1 bag, and leave the tent already wearing my bike shoes and helmet that came out of the T1 bag.

I realize a lot of this will be covered in the athlete briefing and there is also a separate meeting event for "first timers" that I will be attending. But I do like to figure out as much as I can months in advance so I am well prepared mentally.

I appreciate you explaining it.
Thanks

Ahhhh.....welcome to the early stages of gear bag obsessiveness. Embrace it. It only gets worse.
Your assessment on the process looks correct to me. Although....someone will likely be handing you your gear bag before you enter the tent. .They usually have bullhorners relaying numbers to other volunteers who run and grab your bag and get it to you as you make your way to the tent. The same will happen as you come back from the bike. Someone will grab your bike and you head for the tent and they'll hand your T2 bag off to you.

I've not done Maryland and my IM experience is limited to a single full race. But, I gather they're general operation is all the same.

There'll be nothing but bikes in the racks. No helmets/etc. Nothing on the ground...no towels, buckets, etc. Overnight, there won't be any water bottles/Garmins/etc. Someone else can address shoes. I don't recall the rules on that. You may or may not be able to leave them on the bike. I'm a sock wearer so no way am I running across a wet field from the change tent in sock feet to jam them into cycling shoes so they can squish around for a hundred miles. The T1/T2 bags will be laid out in numbered rows next to the tent.

You almost assuredly have access to your T1 and T2 bags on race morning. You'll also have access to your bike for air/fluids and the chance to add any 'removables' (bags/boxes/taped on thingies) back that you took off before you turned it in.

Just hope that the weather is steady, calm, and predictable leading towards race day. Actually calm doesn't matter. Conditions are conditions. It's easier if they're predictable. I can affirm that you'd rather "just know it was going to rain" or "be cold" than..."it may or may not be cold enough that you might want to account for long sleeve, but then again, it might only be that cold if it indeed rains which keeps changing every forecast....otherwise that long sleeve will be hot"

Edited by jhaack39 2018-05-07 10:13 AM
2018-05-07 10:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

If this is helpful, this is what the transition bag set up looks like at most IMs. They are in numerical order and have signage so you know where to place your bag the night before. There will be a bank of volunteers when you come into T1 and T2 who will help find your bag - as you're coming in you can yell your number, but it's a good idea to know what vicinity your bag is in so you can run that direction. Once you get your bag, like others said, head into the tent. 

Edited by lisac957 2018-05-07 10:29 AM
2018-05-07 10:55 AM
in reply to: lisac957

Thanks for the additional info, jhaack and Lisa!

I feel a lot better now that I understand the process.

2018-05-07 11:02 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by jhaack39

Someone else can address shoes. I don't recall the rules on that. You may or may not be able to leave them on the bike.

Check the rules, but even in 2009, only the pro athletes at IMCdA were allowed to do the flying mount.  Us mere mortals had to put on shoes then mount the bike.  (Not that I worried, I'm pretty sure it isn't faster for me to futz with shoes while riding.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions about gear bags and change tents Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triathlon training bag/ transition bag recommendations

Started by runner_tryingtotri
Views: 1371 Posts: 6

2017-11-20 4:54 PM Hot Runner

Change Components or New Bike

Started by fostermutt
Views: 828 Posts: 7

2017-11-20 9:56 AM melbo55

changing pace times on plan?

Started by MuscleMomma
Views: 830 Posts: 7

2017-10-25 7:21 PM kloofyroland

Changing clothes?

Started by Sleepyluke
Views: 3848 Posts: 5

2017-06-30 9:32 AM Sleepyluke

permanent bags under the eyes from goggles?

Started by keyone
Views: 27533 Posts: 19

2018-04-09 11:59 AM Blakej3