General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Rapids Tri - Olympic Aquabike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Rapids Tri - Olympic Aquabike - Aquabike

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ada, Michigan
United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 05m 15s
Overall Rank = 12/24
Age Group = Female
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up, we were ready in less than 15 minutes, drove over, set up, went back to the car as I had a LONG time to wait, had my sandwich and hung out with my friend Katy, Around 7 went down and checked my bike then we hung out with the other team RWB people.
Event warmup:

nada. Big race, lots of waves, small swim area
Swim
  • 33m 13s
  • 1729 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought I had done better than this,. I did not anticipate 67 degree water. It was COLD. My hands were nub about 1/2 way thru. I really don't like mixed gender waves. The guys are always such jerks. I stopped about 200 yards in because there was a guy who really looked like he was going under (Lifeguard training kicked in) and he said he was OK. I was able to draft some, I navigated well esp after looking at the Garmin data it looked pretty darn perfect so clearly the swim was long.

Anyway did my best which is all I can do.
What would you do differently?:

Bring a long sleeved wetsuit. I was really quite cold. It rained HARD Saturday so I am sure that dropped the water temp some but we have had a really miserable spring too.
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

this is a really odd transition area. Its LONG and skinny. Its about 1/3rd of a mile from swim exit to the top. As I have run a total of 3.5 miles (real outside running) since IMFL, this result is not really surprising. My actual transition was like less than 30 seconds. I had my shoes on my bike, helmet on, glasses on, grab bike and go. People had SO MUCH CRAP with them. Seriously. I had a helmet, bike shoes, glasses and a towel to put my helmet on. I can't really put my helmet on my bike typically because my bike is so small it hangs from the rack and the helmet would fall off.

be able to run :)
Bike
  • 1h 27m 36s
  • 25.4 miles
  • 17.40 mile/hr
Comments:

I really can't complain. I pushed really hard. My stupid garmin kept telling me my HR was like 80-100 which I KNEW was not right. More like 160-170. It never picked it up the whole time but I have done this long enough to know better. Good thing I trained by RPE for the first 11 years I did this HA!! I had looked at the people signed up and I thought I had a chance of placing. I passed 2 AB girls on the way out and held that for 3/4ers of the bike. I didn't see any green AB bike stickers coming at me but I didnt' really look for a bit either. The last 5 miles or 2 two AB green stickers passed me....Poop. I thought MAYBE I had 3rd but alas I came in 4th. Also it was COLD!!! OMG....65 degrees when we got back to the car. I was FREEZING esp the last 1/2 of the bike. I figured I could just suck it up for a mere 25 miles but I was uncomfortable the last 1/2 of the bike. I would have been In trouble if I had done the HIM AB

Given my lack of bike miles and current level of fitness and fatness I can't complain.

Ride outside more., We really have had a crap spring. Have I mentioned it was FUCKING COLD?
Post race
Warm down:

So usually I take my feet out of my shoes and ride with my feet on top of them on the way in, but I decided just to clip out as I was not going to be running. Clip out left, coast in, step off and clip out right and BAM I go down. My left shoe just skidded out on the pavement. I really just wanted to get to the timing mat ASAP to stop the clock. Bike shoes 0 Pavement 1. I was fine.

FUNNY: It was an out and back bike, hairpin turn at the turnaround. I just do my thing...some guy shouts "Nice turn that was very well done" WTF? Yeah dude its not my first rodeo even tho I am old and fat I have done this a few times :)

I was freezing afterwards. I picked up my towel and wrapped up in it, D had my jacket thank God. Waited for Katy to finish

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of outside bike training, COLD AS FUCK

Event comments:

This is a Very well run race and the race organizers are exceptionally good. I would recommend any race done by this group.

Last updated: 2018-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:13 | 1729 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/24
Performance: Below average
Suit: short leveed Orca
Course: One loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:27:36 | 25.4 miles | 17.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/24
Performance: Good
Stupid garmin did not pick up HR accuartely
Wind: Some
Course: One out and back loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2018-06-11 6:10 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Grand Rapids Tri - Olympic Aquabike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Rapids Tri - Olympic Aquabike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Boulder Sunset Tri - Olympic Course

Started by bmetjb
Views: 671 Posts: 1

2018-02-07 10:22 PM bmetjb

Big George Aquabike

Started by triguy18
Views: 812 Posts: 1

2017-09-04 6:02 PM triguy18

Rolf Prima Tri at the Grove - Olympic Course

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 943 Posts: 1