General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good beginner tri in Tulsa Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-11-02 11:32 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Good beginner tri in Tulsa
We had a question on Facebook... someone looking to enter her first tri. Lives in south Tulsa. Any recommendations?

2018-11-07 10:12 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Good beginner tri in Tulsa

I am a Tulsa native. 

There is a Tri club that does some good beginner races.  It is the TAT (Tulsa Area Triathletes).  Anyone in Tulsa that is looking to do their first Triathlon should look into that group.  They have free swim times at Oral Roberts University, open water group swims, group bike rides, etc.  TAT does 3-4 local races. 

The Oklahoma City Tri Club also does 3-4 races.  Most of them in El Reno, OK.  You will have to travel a little further, but they also have so good beginner races.    

The TAT and the TRI OKC groups both have very active FaceBook groups.  I will look at the 2019 calendar and make some recommendations.  I know there are some races with pool swims that might be a good options for a beginner.  I also know that there as some early season Duathlons that might be a good staring point building up to a spring triathlons. 

2018-11-07 11:45 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Good beginner tri in Tulsa

My #1 recommendation would be the TAT Spring Fever Triathlon.  It is set for Sunday April 14, 2019 at the Jenks Aquatics Center.  It has a 400M indoor swim, 12 mi bike ride  that is straight forward loop on back roads, and an in town 5K run finishing on the high school track.

Other Options are #2  Tri in July.  This is in Bartlesville, OK which is a 45 minute drive from Tulsa.  It is the first Saturday in July and has a half mile pool swim and 12 mi bike and 5k run.

The last one I would look at for a beginner try in Tulsa is the TAT Triathlon.  This is done in Barnsdale, OK an hour outside of Tulsa.  This has a Sprint option on Saturday and an Olympic and 70.3 on Sunday.  The Sprint is a 500m open water swim, a 12 mile bike and 5k run on country roads.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good beginner tri in Tulsa Rss Feed