General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » From meh swimmer to 750 metres in 7 months? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-12-10 11:12 AM

Subject: From meh swimmer to 750 metres in 7 months?
Hi everybody!

Tina in Toronto here. I'm turning 47 in a few days, and very recently registered for my first triathlon (a sprint). I'm not worried at all about the running or biking portion (but will still train for them!), it's the swimming part.

I've never been a strong swimmer but see this tri as an opportunity to become a better swimmer (and to challenge myself, having previously run 10K races). I got into a pool this past weekend to see where I'm at, and came out feeling pretty discouraged and wondering what the hell I've gotten myself into. I can backstroke no problem, but my freestyle needs work — breathing, balance, you name it. I DO plan to take adult swimming lessons to help me.

My question is: It is now Dec. 10. My sprint triathlon takes place July 21. With lessons and training, is it feasible for me (or anyone, really) to be able to continuously swim 750 metres within that time frame? I think yes, but it would be great to hear from others.

Thanks!

Edited by tri-ingintoornto 2018-12-10 11:14 AM

2018-12-10 12:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: From meh swimmer to 750 metres in 7 months?

Welcome Tina,

Yes, you've got plenty of time to get the swim down (former lifeguard and swim instructor here).  

Sign up for some lessons.  Swimming is mostly technique, so learn good technique up front.  

Attitude is also important.  If you're driving to the pool thinking "this is going to suck..." it will!  Instead, channel your inner "otter" and think of it as fun and exciting and an hour to play around in the pool, and it will be.  There are a lot of little "games" and contests you can play (even by yourself) to get acclimated and proficient.  Similarly, find the "strong swimmer" hiding somewhere within.  

Edited by McFuzz 2018-12-10 12:03 PM
2018-12-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

Thank you so much!

I love what you say about attitude, as well!
2018-12-10 2:39 PM
in reply to: tri-ingintoornto

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Hi Tina:

Good luck! I agree with everything McFuzz wrote above.

Seven months is plenty of time to train for your first event, even if you're starting from zero. Get a plan, make sure it is realistic to your current level of fitness and then jump in. Consistency in training is critical!

Don't be discouraged! I started training for my first Tri from the background of a pretty strong runner and a adequate cyclist. I figured with my strong aerobic base, "how hard can it be to swim?" Holy cow...I couldn't make a single lap across the pool without stopping to grab the edge of the pool and pant like I was running wind sprints. I figured every swimmer in the pool was laughing at me (in reality they could care less what I was doing). With training and a few lessons, I got a lot better in a fairly short amount of time. You can do it!

Enjoy the journey!

Steve
2018-12-10 6:28 PM
in reply to: lutzman

Thanks SO much for your words of encouragement!

I spoke to a swim coach today about lessons, and she sounded like she really knows her stuff. That, and all of your responses, have made me feel a lot better.

Happy swimming, biking and running!
2018-12-12 2:48 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by lutzman Hi Tina: Good luck! I agree with everything McFuzz wrote above. Seven months is plenty of time to train for your first event, even if you're starting from zero. Get a plan, make sure it is realistic to your current level of fitness and then jump in. Consistency in training is critical! Don't be discouraged! I started training for my first Tri from the background of a pretty strong runner and a adequate cyclist. I figured with my strong aerobic base, "how hard can it be to swim?" Holy cow...I couldn't make a single lap across the pool without stopping to grab the edge of the pool and pant like I was running wind sprints. I figured every swimmer in the pool was laughing at me (in reality they could care less what I was doing). With training and a few lessons, I got a lot better in a fairly short amount of time. You can do it! Enjoy the journey! Steve

This was my exact experience, and would be my exact advice too - good luck!

2018-12-13 8:53 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Thanks, Mike!
2019-01-11 11:41 AM
in reply to: tri-ingintoornto

Hi guys;

I started working with a swim coach on Dec. 18 and wanted to post an update: this morning, on my 8th lesson, I swam 80 metres freestyle, unassisted and without sinking! It may not be much and I still need finessing, but I'm feeling more confident about the swim portion of my sprint tri in July!

Swim coaches all the way.
2019-01-12 10:24 AM
in reply to: triathlete_to_be

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Nice! Keep it up.

Just know, you'll get there. With a good swim coach and consistency in your pool workouts you'll rock your swim.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » From meh swimmer to 750 metres in 7 months? Rss Feed