General Discussion Triathlon Talk » buying used time trial bike- looking for tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-12-10 12:28 PM

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Subject: buying used time trial bike- looking for tips
I’m looking to buy a used bike for next years half and full Ironmans. What are some hints I should be mindful when purchasing a used bike off of places like bikeexchange.com or another website.

2018-12-10 3:02 PM
in reply to: Maverick2019

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: buying used time trial bike- looking for tips
Well, don't get scammed. The stories of people getting screwed buying used bikes online are out there. On the other hand, I sold my Felt B2 online and somebody scored a nice bike at 50 cents on the dollar.

Suggestions:

Dial in on specific bike makes/models. If you've got some ideas, then try to find your preferred model/size locally and ride it. Fit on Tri bikes is critical so you need to at least have a feel for the bike before buying. Tri bikes can be really uncomfortable so you want to at least have a general idea of what you're getting. If you can't find the exact year, you can try to get to a local bike dealer and get a fit for the current model. That will at least improve your chances of getting the right frame size.

I'd want an understanding of how much the bike was ridden and any crashes. Carbon wheels are nice, so those are a bonus if included.

I think some sites like Ebay offer a buyer guarantee. That might help mitigate the risks of being screwed by an unscrupulous seller.

Good luck.
2018-12-10 3:17 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Don't spend more than you're willing to "throw away."  

I've bought 2 bikes off E-bay, ~$100 for an old Raleigh road bike, and $500 for my Klein.  Both worked out well for me (I've got over 5000 miles on the Klein).  In both cases, had the bike not really been "serviceable" I was OK losing the purchase price.  

Obviously, if you can ride it or have it checked out, you can bump the amount you're willing to invest.  

Also, factor in the cost of a fitting and a tune-up.  

2018-12-11 1:21 PM
in reply to: #5252553

User image

Be patient.

Make sure it fits.

Try and find one local off of Craigslist or Facebook marketplace so you can inspect it thoroughly.

Facebook has tons of online swap and meet groups that have great deals. There is also incentive for sellers to be forthright with info about the bike as you can leave negative or positive reviews which will impact their future sales.

Ask about crashes and maintenance.

I scored a cervelo P2 off Facebook marketplace for a steal.
2018-12-11 2:05 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

First, educate yourself on bike fit.  Most people don't but it could save you some $ in the long run.

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/index.html

2018-12-14 1:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
As others have mentioned, figure out what bike(s) and size will fit you best and then be patient and look for it specifically.

One tip I can give is, if possible, have the seller take it to their local bike shop for an inspection. I did this with my first tri bike. It was a great deal but 4 hour drive. I had his LBS call me and verify that it was in sound condition (they were the ones that he used for upkeep).

Pay attention to what components & wheels it has. After the frame, these are the next two most expensive things on the bike. I recommend at least Shimano 105 or SRAM Rival for components... but that's just my opinion.

Consider other costs...
1. How worn are the components? If it needs a new chain or chain ring or something, you'll need to factor that into the cost.

2. Does it come with pedals, tires, bottle cages, computer, saddle, etc? Again, you'll want to pay attention to this so that you can accurately compare it to other bikes.

3. Shipping cost.

Lastly, I would say not to rule out buying from a local shop. Many shops throw in a basic fitting with purchase of a bike (if not, I recommend asking them to). Some also throw in your first tune up for free. You'll be getting warranty with a new bike. Some LBS even sell used bikes.

Hope you find an awesome bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » buying used time trial bike- looking for tips Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Looking for strong tail light for bike

Started by aribloch
Views: 861 Posts: 4

2018-09-02 6:57 AM TriMyBest

Bike Training & Tips

Started by remilam
Views: 746 Posts: 5

2018-06-25 9:12 AM BlueBoy26

Looking for a bike recommendation.

Started by kimmax
Views: 1148 Posts: 10