BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-06-20 11:17 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
@riles, that doughnut race medal is legendary!

@drfood, nice job on the landscaping. That's a workout in itself. Sometimes after work at the grocery store, I'll see a landscaper shopping, and I just know that person probably worked out harder than I did that day.

So, with talk of doughnuts and grocery stores....

• ...any good nutrition tips for an Olympic event? I've done the whole marathon 3-day carb load, I've been consuming 2 gels per Brick workout recently, and I know to load up on water, some sodium, and some carbs. Any tips from the experiences tri-athletes about what to do different or the same as a long race? What do you take in during the race?

• Thank you

2019-06-21 8:00 AM
    in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

Training has been kind of off for me lately, though looking back over the last week or so I've only missed one day. My left Achilles/heel have been hurting so I've been taking it easy. My workouts have been mostly short and low intensity.

@Gretchen 500' of drainage! That's some serious trenching. How is the soil up your way?

@rpaulson7 I haven't done an Oly yet, but plan to in September. For the sprints I've been doing I don't really carb load the day before, I just try to have a fairly low glycemic meal about 2 hr before the race and the slow burn carbs carry into the race. Then about a gels worth of carbs in my bike drink. My plan for the Oly is;
    Debating if I add my nutrition to my water or not, but about 2 gels worth on the bike.
    1 gel about mid run.
    Maybe carry a spare for if I feel like I need it.
    2019-06-21 4:20 PM
    in reply to: #5260094

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
    Today's workout was probably the last hard run before race day.

4x1mile repeats at sub-8:00 pace, 4 minute recovery run between.
    Repeat paces: 7:45, 7:39, 7:42, 7:35
    Total workout: 8.05 miles, 1:05:39

Tonight will be two local IPAs, then 7 dry days leading to race day a week from tomorrow.
    2019-06-21 4:23 PM
    in reply to: #5260140

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
    @riles I'm thinking one day carb load, then 2 gels biking. And like you said carry a 3rd. I will bring 2 large bottles on the bike, one water and one 50-50 water-Gatorade. Then play the temps for more water on course - but I tend to take a drink at every stop in running races anyway.
    2019-06-21 5:20 PM
    in reply to: #5260141

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
    Another question.

Given the info below provided by the race website, what time should I arrive at the race?

June 29 – 6:30 AM – Transition Area / Packet Pick up / Registration Open
    June 29 – 9:00 AM – Race Start

please plan on arriving in the park early in order to have adequate time to set up in transition, pick up your packet, get body marked, and be in attendance for the race briefing. You may put your bike anywhere in the transition area as there is no assigned racks. Although there will be more than enough bike racks, transition bike racks are available on a first come first serve basis, so come early if you want the best spot.
    2019-06-22 8:24 AM

User image

Originally posted by rpaulson7

Another question.

Given the info below provided by the race website, what time should I arrive at the race?

June 29 – 6:30 AM – Transition Area / Packet Pick up / Registration Open
    June 29 – 9:00 AM – Race Start

please plan on arriving in the park early in order to have adequate time to set up in transition, pick up your packet, get body marked, and be in attendance for the race briefing. You may put your bike anywhere in the transition area as there is no assigned racks. Although there will be more than enough bike racks, transition bike racks are available on a first come first serve basis, so come early if you want the best spot.

I still haven't figured out wht the "best" spot is in transition, other than toward the end of the rack. In not really sure which rack matters.

I'd get there 6-6:15. A couple minutes to to get my bike & gear from the car, head over to registration, wait a couple minutes for registration to open ** make sure you bring your driver's license & USAT member card (or picture/USAT app on your phone). If you did a one day membership, I'd print the confirmation & bring it. ** Then body marking, & set up your transition area. I like to take a couple of minutes to make sure I have the swim to transition rout figured out. Then warm-up & wait for race start. I like to warm up in just what I'm swimming in so I don't have to go back into transition. Pro tip, bring a bottle of spring water to sip on while your warming up & toss it before the race.

2019-06-22 8:39 AM
    in reply to: riles32807

User image

Got up early, 30 miles on the bike this morning. About where I had planned to turn around, I saw a bunch of cars pulling off the road, then I remembered there's a 10 mile dirt road there through conservation land that people like to run. Unfortunately they're going to pave it this fall. So I did a 4 mile easy run and headed home.

2019-06-23 12:01 PM
    in reply to: #5260143

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
    I am not a USAT member. Is there a nice benefit to it?

So, sounds like get there early - when things open. Which is good with me, if I'm pushing the time limits I will stress myself out. I have a one hour drive to the race, so that will allow for eating, water, and coffee on the way.

It's looking like it will be a warm day.
    2019-06-23 5:50 PM
    in reply to: #5260171

User image

, Vermont
    Ugh, Gretchen, that is some seriously back breaking work - totally counts as a workout or three. Others may not see it but you will appreciate all the work you’re putting for sure.
    2019-06-24 1:53 PM
    in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Originally posted by aviatrix802

Ugh, Gretchen, that is some seriously back breaking work - totally counts as a workout or three. Others may not see it but you will appreciate all the work you’re putting for sure.

It is a serious workout!! The soil is completely clay, and it was slightly wet, so it was damp, muddy clay. It was awful!

Finished up this morning by off loading an entire load of gravel I ended up not needing...in the rain. I needed it for my driveway anyway, but I sure would rather the dump truck come and drop the gravel than me hand scooping it!

1:15 tempo ride and then a 30' brick run this morning. Wasn't scheduled as a brick, but timing was an issue today, as my wife's car is in the shop and I had to take her to work. Would you believe that she got rear ended by a hit and run driver over the weekend?!?! I don't think 2019 is my year...surgery, house damage, car damage, etc. That's ok! MiTi 140.6 is in 2020!!
    2019-06-25 6:45 AM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
    Final week before race day Saturday.

Monday (yesterday) was an easy Brick.
    Road cycle: 47:35 time, 14.82 miles. 10min warmup, 25min race effort, 10min cooldown
    Run: 17:49 time, 2.23 miles. 4 x Strides, 30sec each with 60sec easy run between

Today will be a group swim and group bike, both should be easy. The triathlon I am in has a triathlon clinic / Q&A session tonight at the course. So I'll participate in that, then do the group swim and ride the cycle course. The cycle course is two loops of about 12.5 miles, so will bike that once, easy.

Wednesday I plan on another easy swim - bike

Thursday is a rest day.

Friday a short easy swim - run.

Saturday - race day. Forecast is for a high of 90F.

2019-06-25 9:34 PM
    in reply to: #5260176

User image

, Vermont
    Good luck in the race next weekend, it will be toasty! Hopefully the race will be over before serious heat kicks in.

4 mile run yesterday and started a short swim and made it even shorter when my left shoulder felt like I had pulled something in the forward rotator. I stretched it and it felt a bit better but being that I haven’t been in the pool in a while I decided to stop.
    Today here in Fargo, ND the hotel has a spin bike so I gave myself a one hour class (but logged 45 minutes of it) and followed it with a 2.5 mile run. I should’ve overnighting here the next two nights here as well but they will be short so not much workout time. Then I head to Phoenix where I’ll be for 40 hours. Yay!
    2019-06-26 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

RE:  Nutrition for an Oly.  I eat a light breakfast about three hours before the race and sip on watered down Gatorade up until the race.  Depending on race temp (sounds like you'll need to address fluid intake too at that temp) I'd shoot for 1-2 bottles of again, watered down Gatorade during the  bike.  Maybe sip some waters during the run or grab a sip of whatever they're giving out.  I can't tolerate solid food at that HR level, but I do tolerate the Gatorade very well.

For 2.5 to 3 hours you probably don't need too many calories as long as your glycogen is topped off beforehand.  Some people eating a freakin' five course meal during an Oly - I don't know how they do it.  HIM is the race where the nutrition/HR game is the toughest, but for an Oly just whatever you can tolerate to keep your blood sugar up a little WITHOUT causing any stomach issues.

2019-06-26 7:34 AM
    in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Oly nutrition for me is basically gatorade during the bike (not watered down) and a gu during the early part of the run or later part of the bike (if I remember to put it on the bike) and water. Like Mike said, it doesn't have to be a five course meal.

I started today off well after a couple of awful workouts yesterday. Good news first: 60' ride this morning with both high and low cadence stuff. Felt pretty good. Bad news: yesterday's swim was so terrible I cut it about 800 yds short just because it felt awful. Then, my long run of the week was worse. I slept terribly on Monday night, so I'm hoping it was that. I felt like my legs wouldn't move at all and I finally called it after five miles when the lady on the track with me asked me if I was okay because I was veering between two lanes (did not notice that!) and my lap time was 50% higher than normal. It wasn't working. I felt worse yesterday afternoon than I did after my last HIM. I went to bed at 6:45, so hoping that a good, long night's sleep will help. Later today, 3200yds in the pool.
    2019-06-27 6:48 AM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
    Thank you for the nutrition tips. Getting my race day in order, in my brain anyway. Less coffee and more water will be important to play the heat.

Given the expected high temps and humidity, the race director has moved the start from 9am to 8am. That should help conditions during the 10k run.

The last two days have been combo workouts, and relatively easy since it's race week.

TUESDAY
    Tuesday night I attended the triathlon clinic. The RD and another guy talked course, tips, etc for about an hour. Then we did a group swim - I went about 15 minutes. And then I biked the course one lap, about 14 miles.

The Tuesday swim was a major challenge for several reasons. One, it was about 730pm - I'm usually winding down for the day at this point. It was my first open water swim of this year, and first one since I started this triathlon journey. I didn't wear a wet suit, and the water was a bit colder than I was used to. It was also my first time wearing my tri shirt during a swim, and first time with a swim cap. And to top it off, we all just jumped in and started swimming - I didn't do my usual approx. 10 minute medley warmup, then 2 minute rest, then the actual freestyle distance workout. About four minutes into the swim I'm thinking "oh my, I can't do this". I tried unzipping my shirt, then zipped it back up. Did some breast stroke and side stroke. Trying to get the mind reeled in. I turned back after about 8 minutes, and was able to freestyle all the way back, which was good. Then had a decent easy bike.

WEDNESDAY
    Yesterday I did an open water swim of about 30 minutes in a lake near home, then ran just over 3 miles at 8:17 pace.

After Tuesday, I really needed a confidence builder in the swim. I worked on replicating my workouts - a standing soak for a bit, then a 10 minute warmup, and then on to the freestyle. It all went pretty well, which was great. My swim course is a point to point, with four left hand turns making a square - this square is the difference between Sprint and Olympic. So, I practiced those turns and think I have a technique that works. Knowing this, I'll need to get in an adequate warmup just before the race start.

THURSDAY
    Rest day

FRIDAY
    Plan is another open water swim to build more confidence, then an easy and short cycle.
    2019-06-27 3:24 PM

User image

Master
    brummie land

Best of Luck! You sound like you are doing all the right things to make this go well!

2019-06-27 9:05 PM
    in reply to: sappho96

User image

I'm glad that you did an OWS early enough to plan some additional training. It really is a different beast. Remember you've done the training, you can do it. Worst case you can flip on your back. Go your pace, don't get too caught up in the race.

Good luck! Remember to get out of your head for a minute or two and actually enjoy the race!
    2019-06-27 10:49 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Good luck for your Tri on the weekend.

Good move having a pre race OWS trial, and giving yourself time to learn from it, and adapt your plan.

You'll do great. And make sure to enjoy the pain.
    2019-06-27 10:58 PM
    in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    I'm also racing this weekend.

I've got the wellington half marathon on Sunday. The entry was a christmas present from mrs Bullfrog.

As you all know the year to date hasn't all gone to plan for me, so my plan from 6 months ago to target this race for a PR is long gone. But the last 5 or 6 week have been pretty consistent, and I have made some gains. Even had a surprisingly fast 5km time trial fitness test 2 weekends ago, so I am targeting a post fatherhood PB.

The forecast is good, sunny, light winds, about 50F. So should be a nice enjoyable run at worst.
    2019-06-28 7:13 AM
    in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Nice Andrew! Good luck & make the kiddos proud!
    2019-06-28 3:55 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Master
    brummie land

Managed my commute and a 750m swim today: finally adding some drills in and not cramping for the first time . Tricep on right a bit sore so looking into a sports massage soon. Lovely to be in the pool after a scorching day! 

Edited by sappho96 2019-06-28 3:56 PM

2019-06-28 5:12 PM
    in reply to: #5253131

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    Good luck this weekend Bullfrog and rpaulson!! I wish I had a race this weekend!

As it is, i rode just under three hours today, followed by a 20’ brick run. It was the first really hot workout (95F by the time I finished) and I sure felt it. Didn’t help that I had an issue with the tube on my hydration system curling up and not staying in the fluid, making it super difficult to drink. Overall though, I had fun and got to ride a trail system near my parents house. It is nice to ride for miles without the fear of getting run over!
    2019-06-29 1:53 PM
    in reply to: #5260402

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
    20 mile bike this morning at sunrise. I had to pick my niece and nephew up at camp at 10am, so I had to get up and get it in before that. Actually a good thing, as I would not have gotten up so early if I didn’t have that to drive me.
    2019-06-29 5:25 PM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
    Forty-three years, three marathons, and one broken foot is what it took me to toe the line at an Olympic distance triathlon. Thank you to everyone here that dropped some advice, support, workout info, BOTW check-ins, and general banter. I'm no longer a virgin, but surely still a beginner! So, I'll stick around for a while longer.

Not sure how detailed we get with race reports here. Overall, I'm happy with my results. Should I be posting other thoughts? I could write three pages, but that could be viewed as overkill or narcissistic.

GOALS (which I wrote down on paper Thursday - it's a worthwhile thing to do once in a while)
    1. Finish - ACCOMPLISHED
    2. Run the entire 10k - ACCOMPLISHED
    3. Finish top half of age group - ACCOMPLISHED (3rd of 7)

I will for sure do another triathlon, perhaps the same race in 2020. In the short term, I'm on to marathon training for Twin Cities Marathon in October. I'll probably mix in a bike and swim to keep the variety.

Photos to follow this post, if I can figure it out.

BOTW is what I'm drinking right now - Lupulin Hooey American IPA. I'm going to follow that up with about three more IPAs when we go out to dinner in a bit.
    2019-06-29 5:25 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
    Race times.

Edited by rpaulson7 2019-06-29 5:28 PM

(Screenshot_20190629-155436_Chrome(1).jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    Screenshot_20190629-155436_Chrome(1).jpg (387KB - 7 downloads)
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
    Views: 7865 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
    Views: 945 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa