United States
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 2.5 hours before race and ate 2 poptarts, ensure, forced myself to eat some chicken & rice at home. Ate a couple bites of banana about 30 minutes prior to race.
Event warmup:

Super light jogging in the corral and really light stretching. Just tried to stay loose.
Run
  • 1h 52m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Although I started out too quickly, I think it was perfect. First mile was 7:39 and it would have been great if I could have kept that up. The runners that I was with looked to be in the same shape as me. But I wasn't trying to PR and knew I could back off a little and still get in a solid run. 2nd mile 7:51 and then the times just slowly inched up to 8:30/mile at mile 9. Miles 9-13 were all around 9:00/mile because of that ghastly hill. But I didn't really mind because I just wanted to get a solid time and thought I was on track to get my goal of 1:50:00-1:55:00. I did perfectly.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe gotten some Gatorade at an aid station. I skipped the first 6 or so aid stations and then went to about the next 3 in a row. The first 2 I really only wanted water, and the 3rd I wanted Gatorade, but ended up getting water because I got the wrong color cup. Not sure if/how much that would have helped anything.
Post race
Warm down:

I could tell that my hamstrings were getting a little sore during the run, which was weird because that hasn't really happened before. Luckily my quads and calves never acted like they wanted to cramp. So I just stretched and tried not to get too cold again after finishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dedicated running training. Training for a HIM in May, so my focus has been split on S/B/R.

Event comments:

Tons of people and spectators, so I always like that. I was able to get right at the front of Corral 2, so that was really nice. Got to start out fast like I like to do and not trip over all the slow people in front of me.

Last updated: 2019-02-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:52:06 | 13.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Didn't check HR until about mile 4/5 when I noticed I didn't think I could keep up that pace and just wondered what my HR was. It was 172. I backed it off to 164 or so because any slower than that (about 8:30/mile pace) and I felt like I was just going too slow. Kept it in mid 160s rest of the race.
Course: Big loop through downtown Ft. Worth. I was fine until mile 9 when we headed up the Main St. bridge. It's a really long bridge and just kind of zapped whatever oomph I still had left. The last 3 miles of the race were kinda rough on me because of that hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes