General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Obese and signed up for triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-08-13 7:01 AM

Subject: Obese and signed up for triathlon
Hi everyone my name is Shane and I live in Ireland. Long story short, I used to be a very active sporty guy up until about 6 years ago when I had a car accident (I have used this excuse for too long now). I signed up for my first triathlon 2 days ago (250m swim, 20k cycle, 4k run) which is next May, I know it is May but I wanted to give myself the chance to get my diet changed (which is the main problem), get my swimming up to scratch. I weigh 16.8 stone and I am 5ft 9inches. Currently I cycle about 2 times a week with the kids, I get out for walks daily. The football team I coach train 2 days a week. I have started to do some of the running within the training as well. I have signed up to my local leisure centre for refresher swimming lessons and the gym as well. I am here to get as much info as possible. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Peace out,
Shane.

2019-08-13 9:28 AM
in reply to: Shaniev34

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Obese and signed up for triathlon
Welcome, Shane! We're glad to have you. It sounds like it will be a long road back to feeling athletic, but you've already taken the most difficult steps ... the first few! Congratulations.
2019-08-13 5:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Shane - there is a younger guy up the street from me who is about your height, and he spun the 100 lb. scale better than 3 times when  I saw him start walking every day on Jan. 1.  Then twice a day when Spring came around.  I watched him steadily drop some weight and offered him some encouragement whenever I happened to be outside when he walked by.  By May he was jogging, and now he's running twice a day.....he weighed 205 lbs. the last time we talked....said he wants to get to 185 and had plans to run a 5K in Sept.

Do something every single day to burn more calories then you take in.  Make it a habit.  That's all it is.  You can do that.

Edited by Left Brain 2019-08-13 5:40 PM
2019-08-14 12:13 AM
in reply to: #5261756

Hi guys thanks for the encouragement everyone. I will give the the 2 walks a day a start and see what it brings. I will start to cut back my food intake, not skipping a meals or anything like that just smaller portions and better food. I know the recipe to lose weight is to up your activity and try and eat a more balanced diet.
2019-08-14 2:52 PM

User image

Pro

Shane - here is another tip.  Eat AFTER a workout, not before.  Your body engine is still burning after the work is done.  As you continue to lose weight you may need to fuel up for a workout....but you are a ways from that point.

Good luck.

2019-08-18 1:50 AM

User image

Good for you Shane.

Keep at it. Check out some of the Beginner plans available here. I've found them to be a great guide.

Be consistent in your diet and training and you'll achieve your goal.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Obese and signed up for triathlon Rss Feed