General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on Zwift Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-10-04 1:59 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: Thoughts on Zwift
I have Zwift still on the free week but I am wondering what my fellow BTers think about it. Likes, Dislikes, Serious training, gimmick? please share your thoughts

2019-10-04 5:06 PM
in reply to: CBarnes

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Thoughts on Zwift
Originally posted by CBarnes

I have Zwift still on the free week but I am wondering what my fellow BTers think about it. Likes, Dislikes, Serious training, gimmick? please share your thoughts

Some people love to do the races. I can see this.

For structured training, for me, it makes no sense. I would do 4x4 vo2max with 2min recovery, so I would fly by people during the "hard" portion and have a ton of people pass me on recovery. I prefer to put music during hard intervals, put my head down and suffer. Free Golden Cheetah does the job.

Noodling around in group rides has no appeal for me. On the trainer I want to get on and off as quickly as possible.No time to noodle around in Z2.

Sufferfest on the other hand is very motivational (IMO)

2019-10-04 9:52 PM
in reply to: #5263088

User image

It was a valuable training aid for me during my build for Augusta. I PRd the bike leg and I think zwift certainly helped me do that.

Zwift racing is a lot of fun and will make you dig deep to try and pass people or not get passed at the finish. I would substitute races for interval sessions and felt like I got a lot out of it.

I got in quite a few more bike sessions because of zwift and it helped me stay on the trainer longer. You get invested in seeing your level rise and unlocking new items or buying new bikes.

Group rides on the weekend made 3 hour trainer sessions way more tolerable. You can also make your own custom workouts or follow one of the zwift plans. The plans have gotten a lot better in the year I’ve been on zwift.

I also used it on the treadmill using my Scosche Rhythm as the sensor. Definitely made treadmill running better as well, but not as quite as immersive as the biking.

I have young kids and a wife, so I spent 90% of my bike training indoors with zwift. Worth every penny of the $15 a month.

Cons...can’t really think of any other than the treadmill sessions would take a while to load up at times. I think I had one or two rides that dropped midway through, luckily zwift has an auto save feature. I can see the price going up to $20 a month pretty soon as well.

I tried the sufferfest and couldn’t get into it.

If you try it out, make sure you try a race or two and a group ride as well. Peruse the training plans and see what you think as well.
2019-10-07 8:02 AM

I'm a big fan. Winters in Michigan make it hard to get outside, so I started using it, first to run, then more and more to ride, last December or so.

To be honest, having very few "cycle friendly" roads near my house, I probably do 90% of my riding indoors, on the trainer, either with Zwift up on the big screen and a Kindle in a music stand or on the handlebars, or with Zwift on the iPad and Netflix on the big screen. It makes the time go by faster, and racking up levels gets to be slightly addictive. If I plan on doing a longer ride, it's worth loading up the bike and driving to a more favorable area, but for a quick hour or so, it's a lot easier to just hop on the trainer and go.
2019-10-08 12:37 PM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
i like the idea and I now have everything I need to do it expect for space. I tried it once and loved it. Maybe because I figure time on the bike right now is better than nothing. I can see if you want to be competitive how it might not be for you.
2019-10-08 8:23 PM
in reply to: #5263096

User image

Lionel Sanders would like to argue your final point about indoor cycling not being for someone competitive.

He does the majority of his workouts indoors. He has his bike on a trainer, runs on a treadmill, and uses an endless pool for his swim workouts.

He just won Augusta 70.3 with a time of 3:42. His bike split was 2:03 for the 56 miles, that’s right at 27 mph!

Zwift, trainerroad, sufferfest, etc are all effective and efficient training methods for the bike portion of a triathlon. Not to mention that they are safer than riding outdoors.

Video giving a tour of his pain cave:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VyM4pVuERnw

2019-10-09 6:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Parkland

Lionel Sanders would like to argue your final point about indoor cycling not being for someone competitive.

He does the majority of his workouts indoors. He has his bike on a trainer, runs on a treadmill, and uses an endless pool for his swim workouts.

He just won Augusta 70.3 with a time of 3:42. His bike split was 2:03 for the 56 miles, that’s right at 27 mph!

Zwift, trainerroad, sufferfest, etc are all effective and efficient training methods for the bike portion of a triathlon. Not to mention that they are safer than riding outdoors.

I may have given a wrong impression above.

I think Zwift is really usefull. I think several of the indoor tools, TrainierRoad, Zwift, Sufferfest, Rouvy, Fullgas, Ergvideo, Golden Cheetah all have their pros and cons. For me, on structured intervals, Zwift is not the best. But I do see the appeal.

Indoor training is extremely effective.More and more athletes are using it.I've been passed on Zwift by Terenzo Bozonne, Lionel and Caroline Steffan.

Any environment that makes it safer and more appealing is a win
2019-10-09 2:14 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by Parkland

I may have given a wrong impression above.

I think Zwift is really usefull. I think several of the indoor tools, TrainierRoad, Zwift, Sufferfest, Rouvy, Fullgas, Ergvideo, Golden Cheetah all have their pros and cons. For me, on structured intervals, Zwift is not the best. But I do see the appeal.

Indoor training is extremely effective.More and more athletes are using it.I've been passed on Zwift by Terenzo Bozonne, Lionel and Caroline Steffan.

a
I was more responding to chirunner's statement that being competitive and zwifting may not be compatible. I was on mobile and couldn't find out how to quote.

I completely understand your stance on the topic. Some people don't care for zwift, and that's fine. If you don't buy into the social aspect or racing aspect of swift, it's basically a clumsy way to do structured training.

I think the argument that some people still make that indoor cycling isn't effective has long been disproven by athletes such as Lionel Sanders. Ive had a lot of success this year doing most of my rides on the trainer and a good bit of my runs on the treadmill.
2019-10-09 2:22 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by marcag

I completely agree. I always been a big fan of indoor cycling its how I do most of my cycling training to be honest. Yes I am horrible at bike handling and if its a down and back course I get off the bike and flip it around unless there is a huge turn around or unsafe to do so.

It just sounded to me that zwift might not be the best for competitive people but I know there is a lot of things that are. I am not very competitive especially now when I looking to try to get back in after a 4 year break.
2019-10-09 3:02 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
I have tried it a few times so far and there are few things I dont like. the delay or lag, doing 2 mph up a hill ect but one this seems to be very real. Just like in real life everyone passes me. I am also going to look into Traineroad and Sufferfest.
2019-10-09 10:03 PM

Outside of pinning a number and racing, it's mentally difficult to bury yourself on a bike. But with Zwift, you can do just that and that absolutely has a place in training and getting fast. I also find it useful for long weekend rides when I just don't want to drag myself out into the cold for 3+ hours.

But for structured workouts, I still prefer ERG workouts and training plans on Trainer Road. It keeps me honest and I don't skip intervals which I tend to do out on the road and in Zwift.

2019-10-10 6:32 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ziggie204

Outside of pinning a number and racing, it's mentally difficult to bury yourself on a bike. But with Zwift, you can do just that and that absolutely has a place in training and getting fast. I also find it useful for long weekend rides when I just don't want to drag myself out into the cold for 3+ hours.

But for structured workouts, I still prefer ERG workouts and training plans on Trainer Road. It keeps me honest and I don't skip intervals which I tend to do out on the road and in Zwift.

If you have a smart trainer you should try Ergvideo. I think they have a free version

You get the structured intervals of TR but at least you get video of some cool places.
2019-10-10 9:58 AM
in reply to: #5263173

User image

“But for structured workouts, I still prefer ERG workouts and training plans on Trainer Road. It keeps me honest and I don't skip intervals which I tend to do out on the road and in Zwift.“

This is where Zwift has some work to do. You can make custom workouts for intervals on zwift, but it is a bit clumsy to do. That will get you around skipping your intervals if you are just free riding in zwift. I think trainer road has a leg up on zwift with the structured training area though.
2019-10-15 3:13 PM

User image

Game changer for me.  My coach writes workouts into TP, I get on zwift, pick custom workouts, and up on the screen pops my interval goal watts and time.  ANd i get to ride watopia or wherever and see bears and sloths 

Prior to zwift, I'd just sit in erg and watch the walking dead doing my 2 x 20 at XXX watts.  I've changed to non-erg mode and it's forced me to be more present and aware of cadence and power output to stay in the zone.  Way more focus than my old zone out and pedal in erg.    I can pretty easily do consistent 1:30 sessions whereas my limit before was an hour or so. 

I have tried just noodling around and riding a bit but don't really like that aspect

Had an up and down racing season so have not really gotten to test the results but had one really solid showing early in the year.  Hopefully next year can see some good gains 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on Zwift Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HR Strap for Zwift and Macbook/Iphone/Ipad?

Started by gibson00
Views: 639 Posts: 4

2019-09-18 10:07 AM chadtrent

Thoughts on Swimbuoys

Started by CBarnes
Views: 979 Posts: 13

2019-07-10 5:50 PM miamiamy

Zwift and power balance data?

Started by orijitdhar
Views: 618 Posts: 3

2019-02-12 4:39 PM JoelO

would like to start using zwift...many questions