General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin data, now what? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-10-29 6:59 PM

User image

Subject: Garmin data, now what?
So, now I have a season worth of Garmin data. Now what?

I've been logging in Garmin Connect & Strava, really without any plan on what to do with it. I've used it to look back on a couple of key workouts (threshold tests). I've looked at my races a little, but it seems the multi sport app I'm using (Triathlon, Duathlon & Aquathon app on Forerunner 235) looses some part of each race. If my data isn't in a good format or on a good platform for annalise, so be it. But if that's the case, I'd like to get things set up for next season.

Any things I should be looking at?

Thanks

2019-10-30 2:48 PM
in reply to: #5263696

User image

Subject: RE: Garmin data, now what?
What data did you collect?

I find that HR is useful as I can track to see if my pace is improving at a given heart rate, especially in zone 2.

Time is also an important metric to track. I increased total training time this year as well as training time in zone 2. I had a near 30 minute PR in my A race. This tells me that my plan worked well. I would say time is also important as this is what your body responds to. Your body doesn’t care about miles or distance, only time.

I wouldn’t get too caught up in tracking every metric you can. Listen to your body and focus on your workouts. Maybe go back and review key sessions and determine if you really nailed those workouts or if you missed the mark. There were a few FTP interval sessions that I went back and looked at, I couldn’t believe how much I missed the mark by. Also a few easy sessions that I burned up and really messed up.
2019-11-01 4:02 PM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Originally posted by Parkland

What data did you collect?

I find that HR is useful as I can track to see if my pace is improving at a given heart rate, especially in zone 2.

Time is also an important metric to track. I increased total training time this year as well as training time in zone 2. I had a near 30 minute PR in my A race. This tells me that my plan worked well. I would say time is also important as this is what your body responds to. Your body doesn’t care about miles or distance, only time.

I wouldn’t get too caught up in tracking every metric you can. Listen to your body and focus on your workouts. Maybe go back and review key sessions and determine if you really nailed those workouts or if you missed the mark. There were a few FTP interval sessions that I went back and looked at, I couldn’t believe how much I missed the mark by. Also a few easy sessions that I burned up and really messed up.

I don't have a power meter, so just heart rate, time, pace, distance. It sounds like year over year may be better than just back through one season. I find my Garmin invaluable for hitting my workout HR/paces, and keeping me honest in zone 2. Just wondering if I could get more out of all the data I'm collecting.

Thanks
2019-11-04 3:22 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

So ... first let me confess that I have never correctly used the multisport function of any of my garmin watches in a triathlon. So much that I eventually decided to go with watch with the swim a bike computer for the bike and then again the watch for the run.

But here is some of the data that I like for people to look at.

Your resting heart rate is a good thing to know and look at while you are training.
I also look at how much time you are spending in different heart rate zones (and/or power zones) if you have power.

Training time overall. How much are you training week to week.

That's just a few things. Data can be really fun.

Amy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin data, now what? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Using Data

Started by Struck
Views: 543 Posts: 3

2019-09-15 8:58 AM marcag

Zwift and power balance data?

Started by orijitdhar
Views: 621 Posts: 3

2019-02-12 4:39 PM JoelO