World Triathlon Corporation
62F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 54m 32s
Overall Rank = 697/2556
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 105/326
Pre-race routine:

I just made sure I had everything in the transitions, and walked through how they would go. I basically was just verifying equipment and transition plans until the race started
Event warmup:

We didn't get to do any warm up swims before our wave got in the water. I did do a 50 meter warm up when they let my wave in the lake.
Swim
  • 43m 59s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got calf cramps just before the half way mark. I tried changing the kick, but it didn't work and I had to go back stroke. My back stroke navigation got me 200 ft inside the turn Bouy and I had to back track. Grr... I was 8 minutes over my anticipated time.
What would you do differently?:

I defiantly would have done more sighting during the back stroke. I may try to do ESF before a swim, but don't know if that will help with swim cramps. I was well hydrated. I wonder if the wet suit compression, the 62 water temperature, or something else contributed to cramping. I know that lots of people get these cramps on race day even when they never have them in practice.
Transition 1
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

Transition was NOT rushed. I took my time because the last thing I needed was to miss something I needed in transition. It was steady but not hurried.

Nothing. I could have shaved a minute off my T1 time, but it wasn't really worth on. Getting focused and read to bike was worth taking the extra minute.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.28 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good through miles 38. Mile 42 is where it came undone. I was 2 miles into the Snow Canyon climb and legs were cramping when I got out of the saddle. I had to stay in the saddle and push as hard as a I could. I died 2/3 mile before the top of the 10 miles climb and had to walk the bike to the top.

I would have gone a lot easier early in the race. My over all speed was 18.25 MPH and I was going over 20 MPH early on but only 16.5 at the end. I think an even 18.5 MPH may have worked. My longest training ride was only 40 miles 8 weeks out from the race so the bigger factor was probably under training and not the speed because I actually felt good on the back.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Again I took my time here to make sure I wasn't missing anything and was ready to run when I left the bike.

I may have gone faster on this one. There is really nothing to worry about on this transition and I should be able to save a minute off this.
Run
  • 2h 00m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs we shot coming off the bike. I felt to speed to my step. I felt like that at the Cow Twon 1/2 Marathon when I was training through for the Olathe, KS Marathon and had done 50 miles that week. In the Cow town my legs come around 5 miles into the race and I ran really fast in the last half. I decided to wait until mile 5 before I tried to do any racing and just run easy to transition the legs. At mile 5 I felt better by not 100%. I went a head and sped up slightly by not to the pace I trained for. My mile 6 I hit hills and my legs were starting to cramp on the hills. I walk a lot of the hills for mile 6. Mile 7 I started to walk a lot of the flats and down hills, and by mile 9 I couldn't even walk because of the cramping. I took a sodium table and my first Gu and as I hit the down hills tried to get going again. It was rough going for a mile and a half but after a 2nd Gu and all down hill running got my 2nd wind. The last miles felt good even though I was running them well under my trained pace. I did my first 70.3 run in hot hot heat. It took me 2 hours. I just focused on hitting this run in 2 hours too.

Defiantly take Gu and sodium early on. I did take Orange slices at the aid stations but because I wasn't feeling the Glycogen drain though I was okay. That cramping may have been curved off if I was going better on the nutrition (or possibly wasn't a factor?)
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking and streaching and lots of Gu and salty foods (i.e. Pizza, chips, etc).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg Cramps, Fatigue, mental break down.

Last updated: 2016-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:59 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 164/326
Overall: 326/2556
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Full sleeve
Course: On loop around Island
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:03:50 | 56 miles | 18.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 108/326
Overall: 326/2556
Performance: Average
Max Recorded speed was 45.6 MPH.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Lots of hills both up and down. I like the rolling hills. They reminding me of my favorite training rides in the Texas Hill Country and rolling hills of Oklahoma. I ride steady until I see a hill then increase to get momentum to carry me up the hill. As soon as the hill starts to crest I again speed up and go down the hill as fast as I can go. These rides are fun because you are always changing speeds and ever hill is a mini goal. The 10 mile up hill canyon however did NOT resemble anything that is in Texas or Oklahoma. I rode it slow, but still died 2/3 miles before the top. The 10 mile down hill out of the Canton also was not like anything in TX or OK but I really liked it. It was fast and fun.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good