United States
Tulsa Area Triathletes Club
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 02m 41s
Overall Rank = 2/118
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:30 AM. I still had a full feeling to my stomach so I was considering skipping any pre-race meals but went ahead and eat one package if instant oat meal at about 5 AM. I also took two electrolyte pills at 5 AM and drank tons of electrolyte fluids. We left at 5:15 to get to the check-in right at 6:00 AM when it opened up.
Event warmup:

I port-a-potty was about 600m from the T1 so after dropping off gear I ran to the port-a-potty and back and used the run as a warm up with 2-3 fast pickups of 5-10 seconds each. After I got the transition area set up I took the bike out for a bike check. I had put on the race wheels two days before the race but hadn't rode on them and wanted to make sure the wheels were aligned (not pulling to one side or wobbling, etc.) and that everything was shifting through the gears. I didn't do any fast work on the bike but I had on a long sleeve running top and running pants so I had a good sweat going by the time I got back. I got my wet suit on and got in the lake and did a little bit of easy swimming. So 600m running, 1 -1/2 mile cycling, 75 yd swimming. I did them in reverse race order just like I read you are supposed to.
Swim
  • 09m 43s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Starting out I wasn't worried about going fast. If I found some feet I would just stay behind them and draft. I was trying to stay on target to the turn buoy. I ran into more people than normal but was just swimming to the first marker.

turning the first corner we were going right into the sun. I couldn't see the swim maker due to the blinding sun but there were simmers on both sides of me so I figured I was on course. When I tried to look for the course marker I could see a long line of swimmer disappearing into the sun. As I got to the last 40 meter of that length I could see the marker. I wasn't perfect with my line but not too bad. I figured that anyone that was in front of me at that point was a good person to draft off because all the slower people would be behind me by that point.

Tuning the last corner I start to zero in on my race pace. I was focused at that point. I was surprised to be passing people. I never pass people but I was sure that I picked of 3-4 swimmers. At the last marker we turned to the beach and I finished strong.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I had a great swim and executed my swim plan.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

coming into transition I tried to count heads. It looked like there were 5 guys in there and some could have already been on the bike course. I worked through things as fast as I could but I knew it was a slow transition for a Sprint Triathlon.

Hard to say...The wet suit took a few extra seconds, socks took a few extra seconds, bike shoes took a few extra seconds, GPS watch took a few extra seconds, and the bike helmet took a few extra seconds.
Bike
  • 33m 27s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.52 mile/hr
Comments:

I had one guy right ahead of me coming out of T1. I passed him just before the 1 mile mark. He saw my GPS watch come flying off and said something to the effect of "That sucks". I was considering going back for the watch but told the other guy I didn't need the GPS watch then I put my head down and sped away. I was looking for the next guy to pass but didn't see anyone. Where was everybody? There were at least 5 guys ahead of me at T1 and probably twice that many counting those out of T1 before I got there.. So I pushed the pace while keeping everything smooth and fluid and kept watching for riders. It was about 4 miles before I saw anyone. The guy was in a zebra striped tri suit. I knew I was going faster than him and focused on catching him. As we approached the 6 mile turn around the leaders were coming back the other way. I was happy to see that that they were only about 1/4 mile ahead of us. I was surprised to see that I was in 3rd place. At the turn-a-round I went into a hard surge and passed #2 and set out to catch #1. I knew if I caught him on the bike that I would have good chances of being able to beat him on the run since I am always in the top tier of run times . I road hard. I raced up the hills and peddled easy coming down. I was riding really hard. I was going slightly harder than the pace I had practiced but knew I needed to catch this guy on the bike. I didn't see him. I kept riding hard but he was out of sight. At about 3 miles I had to easy up slightly to save my legs for running.

hard to say....I road about as hard as I could until the last 1/2 mile where there were lots of spectators on the course. I eased up there to get ready for the run but possibly could have close some of the gap if I had road hard in the final half mile.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

coming off the bike the legs were jello. I had trained for this though and knew I would be alright even though I may take a bit of time on the run to transition

hard to say. Not much. I was trying to work fast to close a gap. #1 was gone before I got to T1 so I had a lot of ground to make up.
Run
  • 17m 35s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 31s  min/km
Comments:

I finally caught sited of #1. He had a big lead but I was gaining on him. I was running at a pace that was 10-15 sec/mile faster. He was 45 seconds ahead of me though. My legs felt very heavy from the hard cycling. I went out about 20 sec/mi slower than planned. At the run turn-around I picked things up a bit but kept it slower than planned. I was trying ti catch the lead. I was running well and he was fade on his run. with about a half mile to go we passed some volunteers on the course that said 1/2 mile to go. We then got to a short out and back and the leader blew right by it and went onto the finish. I followed him by didn't have enough time to catch him. With the half mile I would have had him but with 400m I came in 5 seconds behind him. It was a great race.. #1 run time of the day.

I would have yelled ahead to the leader that the cones were a turn around so that he wouldn't have missed it and we both would have done 3.2 instead of 2.9 miles. I could have set a faster pace and I could have run down the leader in the lst 400m, but I was happy to just stick to my plan and not worry about who was 5 seconds in front of me or who was 5 seconds behind me.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt so go and had so much energy that I just walked around and talked to lots spectators at the finish. I would have talked to the race winner but he looked like he was hurting and needed to take a time out before talking to anyone. One spectator said it was nice to see me out there running fast but still smiling and having fun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I choose to race on the bike and just rely on being a stronger runner than most and being able to pull a rabbit out of my hat at that point. I would have been able to take a minute off the run if I had gone conservative on the bike. I am guessing that I cut a minute or more off the bike so I will just say I did really good and have no regrets.

Event comments:

I was happy with this race. It went as a race should. It wasn't perfect but everyone was doing there best and that is what counts.

Last updated: 2019-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:43 | 500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 5/118
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Triangle course with three big orange markers. Counter Clock-wise swim
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:33:27 | 12 miles | 21.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 2/118
Out of T1 the HR was at 148 MPM. Not too bad but I hit a big bump at about a mile in and the GPS watch came off the bike and I didn't get it back until about 1 mile into the run.
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:17:35 | 05 kms | 03m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 1/118
I got the HR monitor back a mile into the run. My heart rate picked up at 154 which was higher than it should have been but in a workable zone to not blow up.
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?