BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-12-11 4:45 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
After 11 days rest, I've decided the perma-cough has gone away enough. Not 100% symptom free, but everything remaining is minor, and above the neck. So back into easy workouts.

Week 1 of 12 of my 70.3 plan starts today. Unfortunately due to to the enforced break I'm already compromised and this weeks volume and intensity is lower than originally planned to ease back into work. So only 30 minutes of easy spinning this morning... not exactly Ironman stuff, but felt OK, heart rate was about where it should be so a bit of confidence to move forwards. I also had my lowest 'official' weekly weigh in since I started working to get the weight under control. 21.5lbs down since September, and within 2 lbs of my weight last time I started a 70.3. Little gains.

Mike Welcome back from another Florida trip. Nothing wrong with a little debauchery... it is the season for it

Nathalie no bad weather, only bad clothing is what we used to say when I was sailing competitively. The problem is the clothing you want for bad weather, is not that nice to SBR in. It's not like winter series yacht racing when putting on the thermals, a beanie and full gortex wet weather gear was quite nice and cozy. Wind and rain proof stuff on a run turns me into a mobile sauna... not fun.

Nicole, Jenn, Gretchen. Hope you are all doing well.

2022-12-13 12:55 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Glad you are back at it Andrew

The trick when it’s cold is not to wearbthe clothing to feel comfortable from the start. You need to be cold at the beginning. If you’re nice and warm at the beginning, you’ll boil in your own sweat within 15 minutes.

I never wear waterproofs on a run, (I do for golf of course) they are simply not breathable enough. A water repellent wind jacket is good enough, I just get wet. But I am not an oversweater anyway

2022-12-13 7:04 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Andrew:  "I'm about to enter week 1 of my 12 week 70.3 plan...I'm a little behind where I want to be because I've been sick for four months but it's all good."

Me:  "I'm about to start my 24-week Oly plan and I'm already worried about my fitness." 

I think I might overbuild my training regimen.     In all seriousness, you'll be fine because of your run fitness, which is what I'm lacking and the hardest to bring up hence my long plan.

@Nathalie:  re: outdoor clothing...I seem to remember the "20 degree rule" where you wear clothing appropriate for 20 degrees warmer than the real feel temp (so accounting for wind and humidity); doing that can make the first few minutes a little chilly but at least you don't melt.

I'm still in my offseason for a few more days.  I checked off the flu/COVID vaccines box yesterday (so as my wife calls it, I'm now "glow-in-the-dark boostinated!") and got in a few workouts the past three days.  Now I'm getting achy so the medicine must be kicking in.  I've had mixed effects from flu and COVID vaccines over the past 2-3 years so hopefully this doesn't knock me down for two days like the first COVID one did.

2022-12-13 2:06 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Andrew:  "I'm about to enter week 1 of my 12 week 70.3 plan...I'm a little behind where I want to be because I've been sick for four months but it's all good."

Me:  "I'm about to start my 24-week Oly plan and I'm already worried about my fitness." 

I think I might overbuild my training regimen.    

Haha, well when you say it like that, it all seems a little casual

Although I'm calling this week 1/12, to be fair I have been base building (with the 70.3 in mind) for the last couple of months. So it could be week 11/22 if we include that as part of the plan. 24 weeks is a long time to be focused on 1 race, for me that's like an Ironman length plan. In my mind I like to split things up a bit, 3 months 'base building' working up to a half marathon, then a 3 month '70.3 training plan' rather than 1 6 month plan all building to 70.3.

Kind of like racing a long course tri, I like to break it up into more manageable chunks.

Also, I am super worried about my fitness. The last couple of months I've turned things around a bit, but this year as a whole has not been a good one. Far too much time spent being sick and feeling sorry for myself. It's going to be the least training time I've done for years. But it is what it is, all I can do now is push forwards, and try to make the most gains from where I am, not where I wanted to be. So it'll all be good
2022-12-18 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  Hope everyone had a good week.  Mine was pretty quiet wrapping up my off-season and I finally got some good strength work in this week.  Just in time to start my Oly plan tomorrow.  I'm following Friel's plan from the Tri Bible on swim/run/strength and Daniel's 5-to-15K plan modified for triathlons on the run (IOW not running six days a week).  I have a super sprint at the end of week 12 which will be a good test of how base training went. 

My success is going to hinge on getting back my run fitness.  I know I won't hit my 2014 numbers where I set PRs across the board (except when I flamed out during a half-marathon), but I hope I can get in the ballpark.  First six week block is all easy running, holding steady at about 10 mpw.  Which I know is one long run for Gretchen or Andrew LOL. 

The first two weeks will be schedule nightmare with the holidays so we'll see how they go.  Onward!!!

2022-12-18 3:14 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Hey, all.  Hope everyone had a good week.  Mine was pretty quiet wrapping up my off-season and I finally got some good strength work in this week.  Just in time to start my Oly plan tomorrow.  I'm following Friel's plan from the Tri Bible on swim/run/strength and Daniel's 5-to-15K plan modified for triathlons on the run (IOW not running six days a week).  I have a super sprint at the end of week 12 which will be a good test of how base training went. 

My success is going to hinge on getting back my run fitness.  I know I won't hit my 2014 numbers where I set PRs across the board (except when I flamed out during a half-marathon), but I hope I can get in the ballpark.  First six week block is all easy running, holding steady at about 10 mpw.  Which I know is one long run for Gretchen or Andrew LOL. 

The first two weeks will be schedule nightmare with the holidays so we'll see how they go.  Onward!!!

Unfortunately not a good week. 2 easy training days to restart on Monday/Tuesday. Wednesday, a bit tired so a day off. Thursday the cough/flu symptoms started coming back, by the weekend as bad as it was last week. With hindsight, maybe should have had a few extra days off first time around.

Hopefully over the next few days things will clear up. But if this goes on much longer, I'm getting nervous about Marchs 70.3. I can transfer to another 70.3 in Oceania if needed. That would be Taupo on December 9 (it's the only other one Ironman put on in the country, and travelling to Australia for a 70.3 would be a big ask family and work wise) Have to make that call by February 4th. So if I don't have a good January, that's becoming a real possibility.

Good luck on the start of your Oly training plan. I have no doubt you're going to smash it.

2022-12-20 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog  Unfortunately not a good week. 2 easy training days to restart on Monday/Tuesday. Wednesday, a bit tired so a day off. Thursday the cough/flu symptoms started coming back, by the weekend as bad as it was last week. With hindsight, maybe should have had a few extra days off first time around. Hopefully over the next few days things will clear up. But if this goes on much longer, I'm getting nervous about Marchs 70.3. I can transfer to another 70.3 in Oceania if needed. That would be Taupo on December 9 (it's the only other one Ironman put on in the country, and travelling to Australia for a 70.3 would be a big ask family and work wise) Have to make that call by February 4th. So if I don't have a good January, that's becoming a real possibility. Good luck on the start of your Oly training plan. I have no doubt you're going to smash it.

Oh, Andrew.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! 

You could probably finish a 70.3 right now so I wouldn't worry about it, but I know you want to perform well so here's hoping this is the last round.

2022-12-20 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Day 2 of 168 in the books LOL.  Day 1 was Z2 bike with some high cadence spin-ups (basically sprinting but maximizing leg speed over power) plus upper body and core, this morning a short run with lower body and core.  Lots of strength work in the first eight weeks on the Friel plan.  Keeping with that theme, Bikram Yoga tomorrow.

2022-12-20 6:59 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Oh, Andrew.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! 

You could probably finish a 70.3 right now so I wouldn't worry about it, but I know you want to perform well so here's hoping this is the last round.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. You're right, I'd like to think I could roll out of bed tomorrow (assuming not sick) and finish a 70.3. The cut off for this one is 8 1/2 hours, which would be my slowest half by quite a bit. So finishing shouldn't be in question. But, my goals for this one were to do a better job of it than last time, finish with a number starting with a 6, not a 7... Have a 'good' run for the whole run, instead of a good run for a bit followed by a 15km death march.

So we will have to see how quickly things come right, and I can ramp up training when I'm symptom free.

The good news is although I am still coughing, it is a lot less than the last few days. And most importantly the amount of phlegm coming up is way down (too much information I know). So I think I'm close to recovered. Probably going to be conservative tho, and not restart training till after Christmas regardless. I don't want to go early and restart the clock again.

Nice job on your first couple of days of the training plan. And bring on the summer holidays, 1 day to go.
2022-12-23 12:38 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Christmas Eve eve.
Have a great one everyone!
2022-12-25 1:20 AM
in reply to: #5283559

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
And Merry Christmas from NZ too. I've eaten too much, I've drunk too much. And now I'm ready for a nice long sleep.
Hope you and your families all have a wonderful day.

And tomorrow we train again

2022-12-25 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

And Merry Christmas from the US.  Freezing azz cold here this weekend...went down to 6 freedoms Friday night and yesterday's high was like 18 with 20 mph winds.  Stayed inside. 

Day off today to plan with the family but back at it tomorrow.  Week 1 of The Plan was a success, hit every workout.  It's pretty easy so far.

2022-12-27 1:28 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Merry (slightly late) Christmas to all!!

Andrew--sorry to hear you're still sick/sick again...but it sounds like you might be on the mend? You've had a rough winter, for sure!

Mike--nicely done on starting the training plan

Everyone else? Eating? Drinking? all that going well? I've been doing my share of the heavy lifting over here!

Oof...where to even start? I think it has been a solid two weeks since I've done any training at all. I'm still getting the leg cramps at night, which is annoying (and painful). The bigger issue is the lack of a schedule. As we finished up excavations and got the dig house ready to leave (i.e., packed everything away in the storage magazine) there was just no time to do anything training-wise. Add to that craziness the fact that we all shared a norovirus over the course of the last week and you have a training disaster! Fortunately, I was only sick for a day and by that time we'd managed to source some Vomistop (I love Egyptian names for stuff). Traveled back to Cairo and then there was the usual chaos that surrounds the team leaving--last dinners, crazy shopping sprees, drinks at the sh!tt!est bars you can think of (one doesn't even have tables--just a line of folding chairs). This year, that chaos lasted a week, as some of our team decided to spend Christmas in Egypt. I took a couple of days and traveled to Alexandria, which was a different experience. It was cold (60F ish) and rained on us, so I didn't even get to swim in the Mediterranean. Last of our team left last night and so this morning I'm serious back to work. It is 9:30am local time and I've already been to the Ministry for General Passport Administration to get my residency card. I was number 901 and they were serving 535 when I got there, so I'm actually astounded to be back in my apartment within three days. I have to go back later to actually pick up the card. Today's plan is to get my training schedule organized for the year and then set out my gear for tomorrow's workout. Starting with baby steps.

Hope all is well! When do we transition to 2023 mentor groups?
2022-12-27 4:40 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, Gretchen!!  You've had a couple of weeks for sure.  Vomistop.  LOL  Great to hear from you and share your travels with us.

I started the 2023 forum over in the staging area.  Alice usually makes it live next weekend sometime.  Get your bios ready!!!

2022-12-27 11:44 AM
in reply to: #5283733

User image

Expert
Hi all and happiest of holidays!

I hope you are all well and that Santa was good and brought You all some fantastic triathlon gear and your stockings. even you Gretchen all the way over in Egypt! Are u still there doing cool things and finding innovative ways to get workouts in?
So I’m at work so this will be a quick note. I have been trying to get workouts in but I’ve found it hard for a number of reasons. First, my sleep apnea makes it so that I am so tired all the time that I just don’t have the energy to go out and work out. I just don’t have any energy I’m so tired from the poor sleep I’m getting. The second reason I’m having a hard time getting workouts in is that when I get out of work the sun has set in the dark and I don’t like the bike at night. I go - maybe once every week or two but my fear keeps me on the couch And finally, I just feel like shit all the time from my sleep apnea so even if I hooked my bike to my trainer I really don’t want to be on it.

A week ago, my insurance company denied my surgery for sleep apnea so the only way I’m going to feel better is to lose the weight. So for right now, I’m gonna try to lose the weight by eating well and reducing my caloric intake. I should be able to drop about two pounds a week this way. I’m also going to try to get in at least 1 or two rides per week. Even if it’s just on the weekend, that’s better than nothing. Plus, I’m working with my very overweight daughter to run a 5k with her in March so I’ll need to get out for some walks which is all my feet can take since I’m prone to plantar fasciitis.

I’ve been terrible about being an active member of this group and I feel bad about that. There have been times when this group was as close as family and I’m gonna need the accountability to accomplish my goals for 2023. They are challenging goals - starting in March I have signed up for a race every month from March to November. So I need to get going.

So, I hope we will have a BDAS group in 23 and I’ll make it my goal to be active on it 3 times a week so we can support each other. I think that would really help me.

All right - I’ve already been yelled at for using my phone at work so I’ll call this post good for now but I hope you guys are well and I wish you all a happy New Year’s!

DQ
2022-12-27 12:40 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, Dave.  Thanks for checking in with us.  I know you're not going great right now but maybe the flip of the calendar will shine some more light your way.  I'm with you...never riding outdoors at night so the trainer it is.  And I would highly recommend sucking it up and doing the bike/trainer thing even if you just pedal around lightly - it'll burn calories for sure and you can just watch TV as you won't be hammering it (yet ). 

Bummer about your surgery - question for you...what type of insurance do you have?  If you have a HDHP (high deductible health plan) like many people the first like $5K are out of pocket anyway.  Maybe you could work with the business office at your doctor's to work something out and see if they'll give you the contracted in-network rate. 

Be sure to check in more often.  I set up the 2023 group and it should be live sometime this weekend once Alice activates everything.  As of now there will be three mentor groups...us, the Manatees again, and another one that seems bike-focused.

2022-12-28 2:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dave--sorry to hear about your surgery. Would insurance cover a CPAP machine? My FIL had terrible apnea and he got a CPAP, which cleared things up for him completely (although, I guess it does take some getting used to to sleep in the thing). Might be a workaround to help with your apnea without need for surgical intervention.

I made it to the pool today!! First swim since early November. I have to say, I was a bit dubious about swimming outside in December, but it is darn nice (at least right now). The pool doesn't open until 9, so there is none of that stumbling into the pool at 5am in the cold and dark struggle I normally have in the winter (Dave--I hear you about the sun going down before you get home from work).

Anyone got big plans for NYE? Only one person I know will be in Cairo, so it is likely to be a pretty low key affair over here.
2022-12-28 10:01 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

No big plans for NYE here...in my opinion it's Amateur Night and people are idiots.  We were thinking of spending the night in the city and watching the fireworks but it's supposed to rain so we're making a fancy dinner at home.

Good start to the week for me - a Z2 endurance ride on Monday, ~ 3 miles on the tready and some leg work yesterday then another hour on the bike this morning Z2 with some sprints.  Got up to 120 rpm, which is about as fast as I can get on my road bike with 175mm cranks.  I've hit 130+ on a spin bike in the past but that's with the huge flywheel and shorter crank arms.  I'm in "maximum transition" phase for strength training so I'm pushing/pulling some heavier weights.  Ouch I'm sore from yesterday's leg day.

@Gretchen:  I'm like you - hate the o'dark-thirty swims but I guess it's what we have to do.

@Andrew:  saw on Strava you got out running - hope that the end of your permacold. 

2022-12-29 7:49 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A nice, "easy" run at the gym today. I've labeled it "easy" because it felt easy, but somehow I managed to do fastest mile ever--although, I'm not sure that it counts on a treadmill. Training plan called for a Z1 run, but I clearly ignored that. I'm just trying to get back into the habit of doing something every day now that the season is over and I'm back in Cairo with access to the gym and pool again. Run was followed up by some random strength training that consisted of 2-4 sets of 6-10 reps of whatever machine happened to catch my eye at the gym, focusing mostly on upper body and core. Probably not the most productive of strength sessions, but again, I am just thinking about engaging with the habit of training right now, not the specific targeted workouts I'll be turning to soon.
2022-12-29 8:01 PM
in reply to: #5283762

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi guys,

DQ, sorry your surgery was declined. I know you were really hoping for good things to come from it. No sleep apnea advice from me, but I do second Mike's opinion, get on that trainer. Force yourself. Channel your inner Dave goggins, and just get it done. If you can do it enough youll form that habit. Ibce you have a habit ot gets easier. You can do it!

Gretchen, Nice to see your alive and well over in Egypt. Hope now your back in Cairo your training goes from strength to strength.

Mike, crushing it.

Me, we are at the family batch (nz word for beach house) been fishing, playing with quad bikes, getting sunburnt and eating and drinking far to much delicious things. Down here till the 2nd probably, then back home, back to work on the 9th. Life is good.

Mike is right, I have been out for a couple of runs. The 'permacold' does seem to be over, but I'm definitely feeling like I had close to a month off. Painful. But good to be out.

I'm planning on a mini run streak challenge for myself. A run a day for January to re-kick start my training. Anyone keen?

If I don't get back on before, haply new year to you all and see you in the 2023 thread.
2022-12-30 3:25 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
New year’s eve eve, hello everyone!

Nice to hear from you Gretchen. Hope you can get some consistency back. Not easy over there with work and all.

Mike seems to be on a roll, as usual, keep it up

Sorry about your surgery being denied (for now) Dave. A race a month sounds like a great way to get motivated.

One run a day challenge Andrew, great idea! I’m with you!

I’ve been rather consistent lately. No hard training (other than run intervals with my club once a week) but at least 30 minutes easy or moderate run or zwift every day (60-90 minutes at weekends).

So now that I have consistency I really need to up my game and get in some proper training which will make me better/faster as I have high ambitions for this season. Not sure how to go about it though…

Oh, and I really need to lose some weight. Half of what I lost 5 years ago is now back and I need to stop this spiralling up.

So, back on the MFP app. Thought I’d log 1500 cal a day (which I need to maintain weight according to the app) and not log the exercice but I did that yesterday and didn’t like the idea of not being allowed more once I reached that (I was still hungry).
So I’ll do 1200 cal a day and log the exercise too. That way if I want to treat myself to a glass of wine or whatever, I’ll go and earn it first. It worked 5 years ago.

Talking of wine, I know that giving up booze would help with the weight loss so I’m doing dry January, to start with, anyone with me? Hopefully this will kickstart the weight loss and I’ll want to stay off longer.

See you on the other thread!

2022-12-30 6:00 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Four day weekend here for me (I worked a little this week to finish up a couple of things that I couldn't get to with 5 hours of meetings a day).  Going to get some decent workouts in, eat some good food, meet up with some friends, plus watch a lot of football (both pro and college). 

Going into next year not sure I'm up for a daily run challenge but I'll cheer you on!  There's a thread over in the Challenge forum that's for 30 runs in 30 days, and one guy that started it back in 2013 hasn't stopped ().  My January goal is just to build up my run volume a little and keep from getting injured, so that'll be my contribution.

As for the dry January thing, I don't really like the one/zero approach to moderation, but I am committing to reducing consumption when I do.  And I've found I can tolerate the taste of Heineken 0.0, so that helps if I want something in a glass.  Still searching for the perfect non-alcoholic IPA...all I've tried are bleh.  I've found two light, lower-ABV ones that I keep around - one has less calories and ABV than most "light" beers.

Hope everyone has a happy and safe new year.  Enjoy your week at the beach, Andrew!!  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43