General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Overweight guy fancies trying a triathlon :-) Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2022-02-04 7:40 AM

Subject: Overweight guy fancies trying a triathlon :-)

Hi
I'm an overweight guy. Unfortunately lockdown added on the pounds.......but I want a challenge (apart from getting into better shape).
So I have decided to try a triathlon. I have no idea if I will have the determination needed to get to that level but I am going to try.

I am giving myself over a year to train. I believe the local triathlon to me this year is in July, so would try and do that next year (if that makes sense)

Being overweight I am concerned about if my joints will handle the run training (at the moment and even before I added all this weight, I could not run very well).

In the past I was an "OK swimmer"
In the past I was an "OK cyclist"

I have so many questions but thought I'd introduce myself instead.

Hi

2022-02-04 7:43 AM
in reply to: MattSt1

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Overweight guy fancies trying a triathlon :-)
Welcome! You are in the right place!

What is the distance of your local triathlon? Is it a Sprint Distance, Olympic Distance...?
That will help to get started on planning your training.

You can definitely start with walking and adding in a minute of jogging for every 10 minutes of walking.
If you have hills nearby or a treadmill, you can also gain endurance by walking uphill.

You can do it! We have lots of success stories here of people with similar backgrounds taking on the grand challenge of triathlon and letting it inspire them. You don't even have to eat better in the beginning. After a while of working out regularly, you won't even want to mess that up any more by eating stuff that doesn't support your goals.
2022-02-04 7:47 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

Thanks Alice

It is only a Sprint

Don't think this body would cope with much more LOL
2022-02-14 8:59 PM
in reply to: MattSt1

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member

"Only a sprint", pffft. That's awesome that you're going for it! 

I found this site for my first (and only ironman). Many moons ago, I did half ironmans too. Now, I am quite overweight, much older, plantar fasciitis, etc, etc. I'm starting over with a super sprint in March using the couch to sprint program and that's just the right amount for me. I walk when my feet hurt, I stop and rest my behind when I'm bike training, and adjust my goggles at the end of the pool for a breather. I haven't missed a single day of training except when the pool was closed. Sprint training is so much more pleasant & less stressful for me than the larger distances. 

I hope you sign up for your sprint, let us know how you do!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Overweight guy fancies trying a triathlon :-) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Guy

Started by mgpman
Views: 2089 Posts: 6

2021-05-27 8:20 AM Proyachts