Boulder Backroads
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 52m 33s
Overall Rank = 130/505
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 24/59
Pre-race routine:

Party on, Garth. Woke up at 4:30am to drive to Boulder, get a good parking space, and avoid stress. First ones to Reservoir were parked in the distance, so that didn't work so well. Parked at 5:15 and fell asleep in car until 6:15. Had a dream about my best friend in High School (Paul) who always wanted to complete a marathon. Wierd.
Event warmup:

Walked about 3/4 miles from car to race start. Wore cheap disposable fleece sweats, as it was way cold.
Run
  • 3h 52m 33s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a great run, and I felt fantastic. Slight hamstring cramping toward end, but by taking it easy and eating a couple of wee bananas, I just sort of scootered through. Oh, that and about 8 Tylenol.
What would you do differently?:

I don't think there's much missing here. I set a goal that I thought I wouldn't make (under 4 hours), and I'm entirely thrilled to have made it.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a little food, and waited for Greg at the finish line for about a half hour, but didn't see him. So, I actually jogged back to the car (I was certainly the only person doing that) and headed home to watch a little football and see "The Black Dahlia" which was an absolutely ludicrous, stupid film.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think that I've celebrated too many birthdays. The good news is that next year I'll be in an even older age group.

Event comments:

What an amazing race. It was freezing at the start, which was really helpful as it never really became overly hot. The course was spectacular, with delightful volunteers all over the place. This event was extremely well run, and I was very pleased to accomplish my personal goal (and personal best) of running this bad boy in under 4 hours.

Party on, Wayne.

Last updated: 2006-04-15 12:00 AM
Running
03:52:33 | 26.2 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/59
Overall: 130/505
Performance: Good
Finished first 1/2 marathon in 1:57:10, so managed to negative split this thing, which is pretty unbelievable, really. Just kept looking at the watch to make sure the miles ticked by sub 9minutes each mile.
Course: Nice dirt road leaving Boulder Reservoir and going all over the place. I really have no idea where I was, but it was cool to run beside mountain homes and have horses running with us (albeit a bit faster).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-24 9:44 PM

User image

Denver
Subject: Boulder Backroads Marathon

2006-09-27 10:50 PM
in reply to: #550442

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Boulder Backroads
Way to break 4 hours!!  I aspire to that someday.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Backroads Marathon Rss Feed