Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » FitnessSyncer import issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2022-06-06 6:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: FitnessSyncer import issues

Not too long ago, Garmin made some changes to their API and as a result of those changes, they no longer send virtual rides from Garmin to FitnessSyncer or any other application. As a result, I have started to use Strava to get my data from Zwift to FitnessSyncer to BT.  That works fine, however, my GPS based activities (outdoor rides and runs) are now messed up. Ellapsed time is being loaded into BT instead of the activity time.  After speaking with Eric at FitnessSyncer, it sounds like the problem may be on the BT side.

Eric said, "We send in the elapsed time for all records. With Garmin, we send a .FIT file and so I presume that BT actually calculates the moving time, but for Strava, there is no file so we send precisely what we get from Strava with the duration being the elapsed time."

Could you please help?

Thanks!

2022-06-08 9:12 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: FitnessSyncer import issues

Are you no longer recommending FitnessSyncer?

2022-06-16 5:00 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This continues to be a problem/

2022-06-21 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, Janyne.  As far as I know BT has always shown elapsed time vs. moving time.  So does Training Peaks and Garmin Connect.  Trainer Road (yes I have and pay for all of these accounts ) shows something that looks like moving time but it's different than Strava AND Garmin Connect so I have no idea how that works (and TR gets their data from them).  Strava is the only one that specifically differentiates the two and you can see it in their UI. 

Is this different behavior than you've seen in the past?

2022-06-21 11:04 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hey, Janyne.  As far as I know BT has always shown elapsed time vs. moving time.  So does Training Peaks and Garmin Connect.  Trainer Road (yes I have and pay for all of these accounts ) shows something that looks like moving time but it's different than Strava AND Garmin Connect so I have no idea how that works (and TR gets their data from them).  Strava is the only one that specifically differentiates the two and you can see it in their UI. 

Nope.  Garmin Connect does not include paused time -- for example, if you pause at a signal light (and either physically pause your device or you have autopause on). 

• Strava and Training Peaks reports the same as Garmin Connect's "Time" field, paused time is not included. 
  • BT is importing what Garmin calls "Ellapsed Time" when using FitnessSyncer.

When importing directly from Garmin or uploading FIT files individually, what Garmin calls "Time" is imported. 

Since a Manual Upload of the FIT file produces different results than an import via FitnessSyncer, that leads me to believe that there is an issue with the FitnessSyncer import.  The developer needs to hear from BT/Alice directly to help resolve this issue. 

2022-06-21 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Nope.  Garmin Connect does not include paused time -- for example, if you pause at a signal light (and either physically pause your device or you have autopause on). 

• Strava and Training Peaks reports the same as Garmin Connect's "Time" field, paused time is not included. 

When importing directly from Garmin or uploading FIT files individually, what Garmin calls "Time" is imported. 

Since a Manual Upload of the FIT file produces different results than an import via FitnessSyncer, that leads me to believe that there is an issue with the FitnessSyncer import.  The developer needs to hear from BT/Alice directly to help resolve this issue. 

I did an outdoor ride on Saturday with my Garmin Edge 130.  Synched through Garmin Connect on my phone and it shows up exactly the same time on Garmin Connect, Training Peaks, BT, and the "elapsed time" buried in Strava.  I can't figure out what the hell TrainerRoad is doing as it's different from all of them.

Why use FitnessSyncer when BT automatically grabs Garmin Connect?

2022-06-21 12:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

I did an outdoor ride on Saturday with my Garmin Edge 130.  Synched through Garmin Connect on my phone and it shows up exactly the same time on Garmin Connect, Training Peaks, BT, and the "elapsed time" buried in Strava.  I can't figure out what the hell TrainerRoad is doing as it's different from all of them.

Why use FitnessSyncer when BT automatically grabs Garmin Connect?

Zwift and Sufferfest/Systm data is not synced from Garmin Connect.

I've attached a screenshot from Garmin Connect showing the time fields.

Edited by jmkizer 2022-06-21 12:45 PM

(Time fields.png)

Attachments
----------------
Time fields.png (54KB - 20 downloads)
2022-06-21 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

My BT times are all that first number (I checked my last few outdoor rides).  Sometimes Time = Elapsed Time but when they're different BT always shows Time.  Did it ever work right for you?

I manually load those indoor rides into BT because I never got anything of the 3rd party synchers to work right (or quickly). 

2022-06-21 3:01 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

My BT times are all that first number (I checked my last few outdoor rides).  Sometimes Time = Elapsed Time but when they're different BT always shows Time.  Did it ever work right for you?

I manually load those indoor rides into BT because I never got anything of the 3rd party synchers to work right (or quickly). 

Yes.  Garmin > FitnessSyncer > BT worked fine.  Apparently FitnessSyncer sends the FIT file to BT who then parses it the same as all the other FIT files.

A month or two ago, Garmin stopped sending "virtual" activities to FitnessSyncer.  I then changed to Strava as my primary source.

Strava > FitnessSyncer > BT does not work properly with outdoor/GPS activites.  I then reported the problem to FitnessSyncer who said to report it to BT and here I am. 

2022-06-22 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Here's another example (images attached)

The Garmin "Time" field is used by Garmin, Strava, Training Peaks, etc.

The Garmin "Ellapsed Time" field is used by BT when importing GPS activites from Strava via FitnessSyncer.

BT Admin, please coordinate with Eric at FitnessSyncer to correct this behavior.

2022-06-22 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Here's another example (images attached)

The Garmin "Time" field is used by Garmin, Strava, Training Peaks, etc.

The Garmin "Ellapsed Time" field is used by BT when importing GPS activites from Strava via FitnessSyncer.

BT Admin, please coordinate with Eric at FitnessSyncer to correct this behavior.

2022-07-01 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This is still a problem. I would really appreciate it if the BT Admins could please coordinate with Eric at FitnessSyncer to correct this behavior.

2022-07-21 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm glad to see that the Garmin direct import is working. Could you please look into the FitnessSyncer issues?

2022-07-27 6:40 AM
in reply to: kristina001

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by kristina001 jhghfhg

And here I got all excited about receiving a response about this issue!

2022-08-01 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Wayne, Indiana

This is being investigated.

2022-08-02 6:10 AM
in reply to: Matt

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Matt

This is being investigated.

Thank you!

New Thread
Site Issues Training Log & Site Support » FitnessSyncer import issues Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

FitnessSyncer import

Started by jmkizer
Views: 581 Posts: 4

2022-02-14 9:08 AM jmkizer

Garmin Sync issues Pages: 1 2

Started by davetib
Views: 2087 Posts: 28

2022-02-01 7:26 AM alicefoeller

Synching issues

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 1400 Posts: 19