Run Wild Missoula
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 04m 3s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2:30am as I needed to leave the house by 3am to make it to the bussing area by 4:30am for the 6am start. I was a little iffy on how that would work considering that I went to bed around 8:30pm, but didn't actually sleep until after 10pm. However, I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
Event warmup:

I met up with my friend/principal at the bussing area (she had stayed the weekend in Missoula with her husband) and rode to the start area. I had just touched base with her after my successful, and ONLY, training run the Sunday before to see what her race plans were. She had put out a general "anyone want to do the race with me" last fall and I had responded and signed up, but as my training completely fell off this winter/spring I had been a bit more vague on progress. I ate my traditional bagel, but did have cream cheese instead of my classic honey. It also felt super weird not having the traditional pre-race Diet Coke(s), but such is my "new normal".
Run
  • 3h 04m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I can't be more glad that I threw myself together the Sunday before this race for a 6 mile trial and that it went so well. Had that gone poorly, I'm not sure I even would've made it to the starting line. I also almost run better when I'm helping someone else achieve their goals, so the fact that my friend was running her first half marathon (she had trained previously for one before Covid hit and did a self-timed 13.1 road run, but this was her first actual half marathon race) helped I think. I can also be thankful that she was on board with my 1/4 run, 20 second walk ratio. Crazy part is that even at my current, pathetic fitness level, I chose to slow down for her, she didn't need to slow down to stay with me. We chatted the whole time so it was almost comical from a sing/talk/gasp test perspective. Well, if you've EVER ran with me you know that the truth is more that I talked the whole time and she shared some and commented. I'm not sure how entertaining I actually was as a lot of the chat involved regaling her with race stories (being dead-last finisher a couple times to the once-in-a-lifetime race where I placed 3rd overall and won prize money) although there was a bit of "shop talk" thrown in too. The 1/4 run, 20 second walk interval is bit shorter than I've ever raced, but I just was not at the fitness to run longer. Although the 20 seconds went fast, it got the job done without wasting extra time. I was basically in awe the entire time that the miles just ticked effortlessly by. I had sports beans about every 3 miles, drank water and did rather randomly take 2 salt stick capsules that happened to be in by handheld, but my stomach felt great the entire time which was good considering that running beyond my fitness level is what generally causes issues and there's no way this wasn't so much beyond. I was just so happy to be outside, running in the overcast sunshine. The finishers area was really nice and this is among my top favorite race shirts.
What would you do differently?:

This race is exactly what my SOUL needed. I feel in some ways that I've been in a dark tunnel the last couple years and maybe now have finally made it back into the light.
Post race
Warm down:

It probably sounds like my ego talking to say that I felt like I could've ran another 13.1 after finishing, but that is so much how I felt. I had a 1.7 mile walk back to the car which felt kind of long, but I think may have contributed to the fact that I WASN'T EVEN SORE after this race aside from tight shins for a couple days. Considering I was crazy sore for days after the 6 miler the week before I was shocked by that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ummm, training or just running period might help a tad?

Event comments:

Nicely ran race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2022-07-06 12:00 AM
Running
03:04:03 | 13.1 miles | 14m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, smooth, partially shaded with excellent course traffic control and a surprising number of enthusiastic spectators (looking at you Dude in a tuxedo that pulled his GRAND PIANO out into his yard to play as we ran past).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2022-07-06 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Missoula Half Marathon

2022-07-07 10:50 AM
in reply to: #5281780

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Missoula Half Marathon

Love this - AND that you felt like you could have gone farther is icing on the cake! Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Missoula Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hyannis Half Marathon

Started by tribeagle
Views: 644 Posts: 1

2022-03-01 1:50 PM tribeagle

Fiery Gizzard Half Marathon

Started by crusty
Views: 537 Posts: 1

2021-12-01 10:59 AM crusty