Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 93

2023-01-05 7:30 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

@Nathalie:  yes, Echelon is a competitor of Peloton...we bought it during the height of the pandemic (June 2020) and it was like $1K cheaper and you could use regular mountain bike shoes like every other spin bike the in world besides Peloton.  The interface isn't as nice but the bike is a tank and the membership is just as cult-like as Peloton.    Sorry about your pool woes; I'm really lucky having the access I do around here.

@Gretchen:  your travel stories and woes crack me up...I've seen that on the streets of Baltimore so don't feel so bad.  And I LOVE the outdoor pool steaming thing - cool air and a warm pool makes for a great workout

@Helen:  good to see you getting back into the game - I think you'll notice BT isn't quite the same as it was but I guarantee you this group will get a laugh out of you at some point

Now if we can just track down the rest of our crew - don't make me stalk you all on Strava or Facebook!!! 

I pretty much copied Gretchen's workout this morning, only on the treadmill.  3 miles E running and then 1400 easy yards in the pool. 

2023-01-05 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by drfoodlove Question for you treadmill users out there. How close to actual road running am I getting in terms of pace and distance? For example, after my run today, my watch said 3.56 miles and the treadmill said 3.87 miles. I've never thought my garmin did a very good job with indoor tracking, but that was when I was using my old 920. Now I have the 935 and I don't think I ran with it inside before. With the 920 I did a number of runs on an indoor track of known length and it was always short changing me. It is a Life Fitness machine, if anyone is familiar with those. Today I did a run in Tuscany, racing a bunch of folks I'll never meet.

Revisiting this with another data point...this morning my footpod was dead and my Garmin Fenix 6 took over tracking on the treadmill.  It was showing about :30/mile slower than the footpod but matched the treadmill pretty closely.  Given I was at 3% incline the whole time, I think the footpod is more accurate in perceived pace and the watch matches the treadmill better.

2023-01-05 9:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member

.....the story of Helen.....

Well, I used to do marathons, half marathons, 10ks, 5ks, and I loved half ironmans & have one ironman distance race under my belt. And then I fell off my bike in 2010 and it's been down hill ever since with one injury after another. The latest was two years of something worse than plantar fasciitis, self induced by digging up my son's lawn in flip flips and hill training gone bad...topped off with care giving for Dementia Dad, stage 4 cancer Mom, and mentally disabled sister during the Covid years...I semi-retired from work and fully retired from training. 

I did a mini-sprint March 2021 in our local area which seemed to go well but then I did nothing again (sore back was my next excuse) & now I've signed up for this March's sprint. And I have a lot of weight to lose. Yuck!!

I'm a Canadian snowbird, I winter in Mexico and Arizona. I am truly blessed to be able to be able to train outside in the winter. 

I really enjoyed BT when I was seriously training & hoping joining a group will help with my non-existent motivation!

And on that note....off to my stretch class....have an amazing day everyone!

Edited by Helen120 2023-01-05 12:55 PM
2023-01-05 10:58 AM
in reply to: Helen120

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Dang, Helen.  Sounds like you've had a rough go of it.  The COVID years have not been kind to anyone, but some for sure got it worse. 

I also snowbird a bit...I still work full-time but it's totally virtual unless I travel, which is WAY less than pre-COVID (maybe 4-5 times a year now) so we mosey down to Hilton Head and Orlando for 5-8 weeks late Feb - early April.  Love the outdoor training for sure.

2023-01-05 1:02 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member

Meh, lots of people had it way worse than me during Covid. It was just truly exhausting which is taking a while to recover from. 

But, that's in the past, and now it's time for some training and racing fun!

H

2023-01-06 3:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Glad your rough patch is in now the past Nicole, 2023, here we go!

Huh! ”Nice” encounter Gretchen, not. I guess when you have to go you have to go! If that happened to me I’d buy a treadmill!

Thanks for your feedback re my FTP test Mike, glad I don’t have to retest. Although I could do better. What’s 128? Is that really bad or OK?

Day off yesterday instead of today as it’s a holiday here (so more time to train) and I still managed to stay under my calories goal (ish). Hubby opened a bottle of wine and although I was very tempted after a stressy day at work. I downed a bottle of non alcoholic Heineken instead. Very proud of myself here.

So today I start my Training plan on Zwift and because I have extra time on my hands, I’ll go for a short run too.

Have a great weekend!

2023-01-06 7:46 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Glad your rough patch is in now the past Nicole, 2023, here we go! Huh! ”Nice” encounter Gretchen, not. I guess when you have to go you have to go! If that happened to me I’d buy a treadmill! Thanks for your feedback re my FTP test Mike, glad I don’t have to retest. Although I could do better. What’s 128? Is that really bad or OK? Day off yesterday instead of today as it’s a holiday here (so more time to train) and I still managed to stay under my calories goal (ish). Hubby opened a bottle of wine and although I was very tempted after a stressy day at work. I downed a bottle of non alcoholic Heineken instead. Very proud of myself here. So today I start my Training plan on Zwift and because I have extra time on my hands, I’ll go for a short run too. Have a great weekend!

@Nathalie - 128 is a totally relative number, and its only value is setting your workout intensities.  When you divide your FTP by your weight in kg, you get a number X.Y w/kg that allows you to compare to other athletes, but in all honesty, I don't find a whole lot of value in that because of the variability of tests and how well you're suited to excel at that particular test. The ramp test favors those cyclists who are pursuiters (have high 5-min max power) and I think hurts those that are diesel engines on the bike.

There is some value in testing more frequently to see how you progress if you're doing a bike-focus block or something.  Some folks obsess about that number - the only numbers I care about are my race times. 

I like Heineken 0.0 as well!  I'm trying to find a decent non-alcoholic IPA without luck so far.

2023-01-07 3:46 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I certainly not one who obsess about numbers, as you may have gathered from our conversations !

I don’t really care if 128 is good or bad, as long as it reflects my true level and I get workouts that help me better.

As it is, I found the first workout of the bike plan I am doing on Zwift rather easy, which may me think the number is wrong. The main set was 4 x 5minutes at 105watts, which is a very comfortable level. I enjoyed it very much, got sweaty (and burned plenty calories ) but did it make me a better cyclist?
2023-01-07 4:32 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

I certainly not one who obsess about numbers, as you may have gathered from our conversations !

I don’t really care if 128 is good or bad, as long as it reflects my true level and I get workouts that help me better.

As it is, I found the first workout of the bike plan I am doing on Zwift rather easy, which may me think the number is wrong. The main set was 4 x 5minutes at 105watts, which is a very comfortable level. I enjoyed it very much, got sweaty (and burned plenty calories ) but did it make me a better cyclist?

No one workout is going to make you a better cyclist (sadly!). But, if you stick with training with power and a good training plan, you will get better. It takes a bit of faith, to be sure, especially when you finish out one of those workouts like you describe, where it felt easy. Easy is good! Easy is the platform we build everything else on. Sometimes it is hard to wrap your head around how easy will make you faster, but it does.
2023-01-07 4:35 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90' run on the treadmill today (and I didn't go insane!) followed by 1800m in the pool--do I get to count the mini workout that occurred between the two as I tried to get my swimsuit on my sweaty body? Cause I think I should get to count that too! Overall, the run was good--best long run I've had in a while. I will admit to a bit of jealousy when I was walking over to the gym and saw a couple running on the street. Swim was okay, but near the end I got a bit crampy, reinforcing why the swim is first in a triathlon!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
2023-01-07 4:48 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl I certainly not one who obsess about numbers, as you may have gathered from our conversations ! I don’t really care if 128 is good or bad, as long as it reflects my true level and I get workouts that help me better. As it is, I found the first workout of the bike plan I am doing on Zwift rather easy, which may me think the number is wrong. The main set was 4 x 5minutes at 105watts, which is a very comfortable level. I enjoyed it very much, got sweaty (and burned plenty calories ) but did it make me a better cyclist?

If 4 x 5' @ 105% is "easy" then your number is probably low.  Like Gretchen said, though, that's fine right now.  You felt good and got a good workout, that's all that matters.  You'll get the number dialed in.  Maybe after the first 5 or 6 sessions add 5 or 6 watts.    

2023-01-07 4:50 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 90' run on the treadmill today (and I didn't go insane!) followed by 1800m in the pool--do I get to count the mini workout that occurred between the two as I tried to get my swimsuit on my sweaty body? Cause I think I should get to count that too! Overall, the run was good--best long run I've had in a while. I will admit to a bit of jealousy when I was walking over to the gym and saw a couple running on the street. Swim was okay, but near the end I got a bit crampy, reinforcing why the swim is first in a triathlon! Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

OMG - I have the same problem trying to get my cycling bibs on when I'm wet from the pool.  It's definitely not a pretty sight.  

2023-01-07 7:19 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl I certainly not one who obsess about numbers, as you may have gathered from our conversations ! I don’t really care if 128 is good or bad, as long as it reflects my true level and I get workouts that help me better. As it is, I found the first workout of the bike plan I am doing on Zwift rather easy, which may me think the number is wrong. The main set was 4 x 5minutes at 105watts, which is a very comfortable level. I enjoyed it very much, got sweaty (and burned plenty calories ) but did it make me a better cyclist?

If 4 x 5' @ 105% is "easy" then your number is probably low.  Like Gretchen said, though, that's fine right now.  You felt good and got a good workout, that's all that matters.  You'll get the number dialed in.  Maybe after the first 5 or 6 sessions add 5 or 6 watts.    

Thank you both for your input. Yes, that number really feels low. Just had a quick half hour of spinning today without giving it much thought and I was around 115watts all the time.

But maybe that workout yesterday was meant to be easy, I don’t know.

It all counts as t.i.t.s I guess

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-01-07 4:13 PM
2023-01-07 7:20 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

90' run on the treadmill today (and I didn't go insane!) followed by 1800m in the pool--do I get to count the mini workout that occurred between the two as I tried to get my swimsuit on my sweaty body? Cause I think I should get to count that too! Overall, the run was good--best long run I've had in a while. I will admit to a bit of jealousy when I was walking over to the gym and saw a couple running on the street. Swim was okay, but near the end I got a bit crampy, reinforcing why the swim is first in a triathlon!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Oh yeah , that counts as a strength and flexibility workout.

Nice work on the treadmill!
2023-01-07 5:56 PM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member

Putting on compression socks for plantar fasciitis after a swim....OMFG....I wasted at least 10 minutes in transition, spiked my heart rate, almost died from the exertion. If I ever have to back to those socks, I'm going to wear them during the swim. I despise getting dressed for the next training workout after a swim. 

2023-01-07 11:57 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Helen120

Putting on compression socks for plantar fasciitis after a swim....OMFG....I wasted at least 10 minutes in transition, spiked my heart rate, almost died from the exertion. If I ever have to back to those socks, I'm going to wear them during the swim. I despise getting dressed for the next training workout after a swim. 

Helen--zip on compression socks/sleeves. Game changer! I don't know where to get them, but I know they exist. I had a pair at one point, but they have now gone...somewhere. My wife's grandmother gave them to me, so I suspect they are available to the geriatric crowd who has issues getting on regular compression stockings.

2023-01-08 12:02 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Rest day for me here and I'm the perfect amount of tired to really benefit from it. I did just over 10 hours last week in my first week back to real training since...ummm...August?!?! There was a lot of activity in the interim, but the color board on my TrainingPeaks account suggests none of it should be considered "training". Legs a little sore from yesterday's efforts, shoulders a bit sore, mind a little tired. Everything just needs a day, but no more than that. It is good for me though, because if I don't feel like this on rest day, I do dumb things that make it not a rest day (for example, I was thinking about trying to walk to the Pyramids today--13km, so not terribly far, but far enough that it would certainly make it not a rest day). Woke up this morning and really knew rest is what I need.

Yesterday was Coptic Christmas here (well...everywhere). You wouldn't really be able to tell if you didn't know and a few select shops were closed. Today is the observed holiday for government offices, so I'm enjoying a quiet downtown today. It is nice to be here when everyone else is not.
2023-01-08 11:12 AM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member

Zip on compression socks?! Who knew & I wish I had known that before. I'm sure there will be a next time so that is great to know, thank you! Lord, I spent a small fortune on compressions socks. 

2023-01-08 2:37 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

NAME: Bullfrog / Andrew

STORY: 13 years ago I did a half marathon as part of an effort to lose weight. That grew to a duathlon the following year and Tri's eventually followed. Since then I've been consistently inconsistent. I enter races, train, make gains. Then take a break, lose fitness and regain weight. I am well and truly on the yo-yo.

Over the years I've finished 21 half marathons, 12 sprint tris, 1 Oly tri, 5 70.3s and 2 full Ironmans. So I have a bit of experience, but should be a lot fitter and faster than I am with that sort of history.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a more supportive wife than I deserve. A 5 year old boy and 2 year old girl. And a golden-doodle running buddy.

CURRENT TRAINING: Due to family commitments most of my Run/Bike training is at dark o'clock, indoors before getting the little ones up for breakfast. Swimming is during my lunch breaks at work, when I can fit them in (so not enough). I'm currently half way through ramping up for a 70.3 in March. Unfortunately due to illness December was a write off, so I'm well behind where I should be.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES:
'A' race is Ironman NZ (70.3) 4th March.
'B' Races, 3 Half Marathons (feb/march/april) entered, but may DNS depending on how 70.3 training is going.

TBC:
Sprint Tri - May 7th
Half Marathon - End of winter
70.3 - November 6th

WEIGHTLOSS: Last year I gained around 23lbs.The good news is I've lost it, and am pretty much back where I began 2022. So only 100lbs away from race weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS'er: I've been around a while now. I think I've done enough events and made enough mistakes I can offer some good advice at times. Also nobody in my life in the 'real world' has any interest in triathlon stuff (1 mate from uni days who I do some weekend runs with, but that's it) So this group is important for me to have people to talk to, support and be supported by for this crazy sport.

2023-01-08 2:40 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I thought it had been a while since I'd seen a message on the thread. Well I found you, and obviously am back for another year of triathlon misadventures.

Nice to see some familiar faces back, and welcome to the group Helen.

Back from our summer break today, which is good because I need a rest. A week at the beach with 2 little ones is lovely, but is not the most relaxing time for mum and dad. Followed up with a week at home, filled with a spring clean of the kids rooms. Building some storage in the crawl space under the house, and a visit from my Sister in law and niece. So another good but hectic week.

The week at the beach, no swim (training that is) or bike. But I did run 5/6 days we were there. The week back at home, 7/7 days, about 6 1/2 hours total run/bike. So a good step back towards normality after such a crappy end to 2022.

Bad new, My garmin died when we were at the beach. But, good news: the financial committee continues to be more supportive than I deserve, so I have upgraded from a dead 735xt to a new fenix 6x. Happy days.

Also, as I said in the old thread, I have a mini goal of running every day in January to kick start the years training. So far I've done 9 days in a row (also ran 31/12/22) so that is ticking along. Nathalie, you said you were keen to join? are you still streaking?

Today is a rest day, I'll do a 15 minute jog on the treadmill this evening, but otherwise the body needs a rest.

Edited by bulfrog 2023-01-08 2:53 PM
2023-01-08 2:59 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove
2023 Fitness Goals
1.) Improve time on MiTi--would love to get to the goal times I had for 2022 race
2.) be able to do a full push-up (i.e., not on my knees, not on a wall, etc.) by end of year
3.) improve core strength (this one doesn't have a measurable outcome...improve...all the ways to quantify core strength sound terrible to me)

For myself:

1) 400+ hours of SBR in 2023
2) Consistently log food on MFP, and hit calorie goals to achieve weightloss.
3) Avoid getting sick as much as 2022.
4) Set at least 1 PB (from the 70.3, half marathon, 5km distances)

2023-01-08 3:22 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Here you are Andrew! Wondered where you were! No, I haven’t been running every day actually, sorry for letting you down. I have been mostly Zwifting this year, only 2 runs. But I have signed up for a half marathon on 1st May, not sure why, sounded like a good idea at the time (between the first and 2nd period of a hockey game on tv while drinking beer).

Actually, I do know why, I think that I will have to train more/longer and thus burn more calories… this is why at least one of my tris will be an oly this year (not ready for a half yet)

2023-01-08 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Howdy folks...week 3 of The Plan complete.  I bailed on Bikram this morning to ride the trainer in The Pain Cave with my daughter, then crushed my core for 30 minutes.  Completely on track so far.

@Andrew:  welcome back...I knew you were active from Strava and figured you'd get around to getting back on here; good to see your consistency getting there; and you'll love the 6X - it takes getting used to the size vs. the Forerunners but it's been great

@Nathalie:  I've made plenty of decisions while watching a sporting event drinking a beer (most have worked out...I think)

@Gretchen:  "13k walk round-trip...meh, when's breakfast?"  Only you would think that is nothing.

@Helen:  CEP compression socks while great are brutal to get on even when dry!  I've been wearing the stupid things for about 20 years and they've improved orders of magnitude in that time.  You used to have "surgical socks" that had open toes and you would wear regular socks on top of them.  They sucked.  And we walked uphill both ways in the snow.

Recovery week for me...other than the present you get in your early 50s where they check your innards.  My tummy's been a wreck for three days just thinking about it.  LOL

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-01-08 5:41 PM
2023-01-08 11:26 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Gretchen:  "13k walk round-trip...meh, when's breakfast?"  Only you would think that is nothing.

13km one way...would have Ubered/taxied back. I'm not crazy.
2023-01-08 11:30 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Unexpected rest day for me...ugh. Was supposed to run and then do strength training this morning, but when I got to the gym, it was closed due to flooding. We had a barn burner of a storm last night--lightening, thunder, buckets of rain--and Egypt is not built for rain. No place in Egypt is built for rain, not even the fancy Western-style hotels. The gym was actually flooded, as in inches of water on the floor (where the power outlets are!). Anyway--no workout for me today. I'm going to try to examine my schedule and see if I can rearrange and get something in this afternoon/evening, but things are so hectic after about 8am if I don't get it in early, it doesn't get done. Not stressing though, it is January. I have plenty of time to train. My only regret is that my goal for January was to not miss any workouts, and this ends that.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 93

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 845 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland