2006-09-26 8:05 PM
in reply to: #552590

User image

Extreme Veteran
Geneva, Illinois
Subject: RE: Clinton rips...
Rogillio - 2006-09-26 7:59 PM

lynda - 2006-09-26 6:59 PM

Clinton wasn't one of the best president's we've had....He was president during one of the best periods of our country has had. The internet created a huge number of jobs and we were pretty stable. We were in a hunky-dory period in our country. I don't know if he had anything to do with the great business climate, but the consensus was to leave it alone...we were flying high.

And. for the record, I don't hate Clinton. I see his second term as a complete waste. He had the popularity to push through some needed reforms but he got bogged down with his misbehaviour. I remember seeing him walking Buddy on a Christmas afternoon on the White House Lawn, and thinking that he turned out to be a pretty good president, and two weeks later, the Lewinsky deal hit the news.

I'm just happy the USA is strong enough to work through all sorts of ups and downs.

BT isn't the USA. That said, I find these message boards wayyyy too political for an internet off-topic triathlon site. Yes, you're much more than welcome to tell me to move on, and I mostly have. But I sometimes miss the old, fun, stuff.

Just an old fart musing on a Tuesday night.

You are right that this is a very political off-topic site. And based on my calculations, this site is 87.4% liberal with only a handful of moderates and damn few conservatives.

Like Jim pointed out, the party out of power will complain the loudest but the constant Bush-bashing really turns me off. And right after he wrote that he went on to bash the INs. It's one thing to occasionally slam the other part with a one-liner zinger but that's not what happens here. There is a constant trashing of the President and the current administration and pretty much all things conservative. How many times does one have to refer to Faux News? It also feels like Christians are not very well thought of here and often referred to as self-righteous and intolerant.

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of Clinton but I never trashed him publicly while he was in office. Maybe I'm just old fashioned or sentimental but I think we owe a certain amount of respect to the Commander and Chief and President of the United States - especially in a time of war.

The constant bicthing about war in Iraq is another thing that really bothers me about this forum. We have soldiers over there serving and dieing and people are still debating why we went to war and why we should not be there and how we went under false pretenses and how much money we are 'wasting' there and it was a huge mistake etc. Imagine if you just got back from Iraq where you lost your best friend and came to BT/COJ and see this debate with people saying "...the war in Iraq was a huge mistake" and "...we're wasting xx billion dollars there....." and "….Bush is an idiot and because of his blundering administration….". I have one request, shut up. Vote your conscience and vote Bush our of office and vote in someone you think can get us out of Iraq and establish stability in the world. Talk about where we need to go NOT where we've been and how screw up things are and how we messed up by going there. Talk about what your guy is gonna do for us and what your plan is.

The fact is we are in Iraq and we need to figure out how to stand up the Iraqis so we can get out of there. Let's stop debating the reasons for the war and who lied and who mislead whom and think for a minute about the men and woman serving their country over there. Let's NOT turn the country into another Vietnam era where we spit on servicemen when they came home from serving.

I was watching the news tonight - I surf between all the networks - and they were all talking about the Clinton interview and who should have done what/when and should Clinton have gone after OBL. Let's forget the who-shot-john garbage and deal with the future. The finger-pointing serves no purpose. If Clinton knew what we know now certainly he would have gone after OBL.

I like politics and debating and I enjoy reading other people's various opinions about a variety of topics but I do NOT like reading the constant Bush-bashing and trashing. But I'm a new comer and it's not my place to try to change the nature of this forum. It seems the fun here is not in debating but in seeing who can post biggest Bush-bash.

Well, I usually stand alone in a crowd so that's nothing new to me….but I got really angry this afternoon when my post got censured when the whole board today (like most days) was full of conservative-bashing posts. Don't know if I'll hang out her much longer.

Sincerely,

Mike

Ok, very well thought out post and I appreciate that, but the complaining about the war in Iraq is not just complaining.

Do you realize what it took for the Bush Administration to get us into Iraq? Do you know how much they lied? Where are the WMD's? Where are the welcome parades in the streets of Iraq? Where's the connection between Iraq and 9/11?? There are none!

Now, I don't complain about the war in Iraq for complainings-sake, I complain, *****, moan, scream, cry, hurt, etc, etc, etc, because we do have people coming back to America in plywood boxes, without limbs, paralyzed, traumatized, you name it...

This was a war, plainly put, based on lies. Once we discovered that Iraq had absolutely no part in 9/11...we should have just cut our loses in Iraq and gotten out of there. Frankly, it is not a war that will be measure by whether we "won" or 'loss"...we will never know. If Bush has his way, he is going to spread democracy in Iraq one dead body at a time. (Iraqi citizens) Who's going to be left when he's done?

2006-09-26 8:16 PM

User image

Giver

It is a political board, and I like it because I like talking current events. But that's just me. There are strong feelings here, but i think it reflects the strong feelings in the population as a whole. It's no secret that Bush isn't a popular president, any measure. And it's because he's such a polarizing figure. I think it was Don who said the mark of a good leader is one who stands by his convictions. If I have to say one good thing about the man, it's that he has done that.

But ironically, that's been his downfall. The problem is his convictions, by and large, don't reflect the convictions of the population as a whole. That's why he's alienated democrats and why, more and more, he's alienated those of his own party.

So because of that he gets bashed. It's probably too early to tell, and we're probably all to close to it and embroiled in it to make a subjective assessment. But time will tell if he's the most bashed president. Clinton, despite his popularity, was roundly bashed during his tenure.

And Mike, I know because you've posted this view before that bashing *any* president leaves a bad taste in your mouth because (not to put words in your mouth but I believe this is why--check me if I'm wrong) you see it disrespectful to a person in his postion. And I certainly respect that viewpoint. But lots of us see him as just a man. And because of that, he's open to criticism.

So I guess in summary, before you bash the bashers, ask yourself why exactly he's being bashed. I think it's a bit more than just us disaffected minority liberals whining about not having, as George Costanza would say, hand. He gets bashed because he's so single-minded in his views. He ran, as I said earlier, as a uniter. but he certainly hasn't lived up to that promise. In order to unite, you have to compromise. To consider alternate views. But he hasn't done that. He's had blinders on for 6 years. And while that make him a good leader, it doesn't make him popular.

2006-09-26 8:37 PM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Rogillio - I like politics and debating and I enjoy reading other people's various opinions about a variety of topics but I do NOT like reading the constant Bush-bashing and trashing. But I'm a new comer and it's not my place to try to change the nature of this forum. It seems the fun here is not in debating but in seeing who can post biggest Bush-bash. Well, I usually stand alone in a crowd so that's nothing new to me….but I got really angry this afternoon when my post got censured when the whole board today (like most days) was full of conservative-bashing posts. Don't know if I'll hang out her much longer. Sincerely, Mike

Mike, I hope you decide to stick around. I find your posts very helpful in coming to a fuller understanding of our foreign policy.

One thing I really appreciate about BT, and a reason why I actually consider it part of my required "news" reading for the day, is that it contains a range of really smart people who have had real experience in the real world. And, for me, that includes people in the full spectrum of American political life.

So even though your opinion does seem to be in the minority on this board, for me it carries a lot of weight. It matters.

There are probably a lot of people who read these boards who never post. I bet a lot of them hold beliefs that are close to yours.

So, for me, these political debates, or rants as the case may be, have a lot of import. I'm a Democrat, who tends to vote more as an Independent. Given that I will never vote for a pro-choice candidate at the federal or state level, although not necessarily vote against them, I'm facing a tough decision with the upcoming senate vote here in Pennsylvania.

As you know, it features two Pro-Life candidates, Rick Santorum and Bob Casey Jr. Given that I believe that I can vote for either of them in good conscience, I'm paying particular attention to their position on the Middle-East. Not just Iraq, but the entire situation in the Middle-East which has been going on for a long time.

Part of my dilemma is that I have a lot of respect for Rick Santorum on a personal level. Through having met him and photographed him, he passes my gut check of someone who has principles that he puts ahead of his personal ambitions. When Rick says something, I listen closely. I think, in general, that he says what he believes and not what he thinks I want to hear.

At the same time, while I haven't met Bob Casey Jr., from folks that I know who've met him, I think he would also pass my gut check. I think he is a good and pricipled man. Plus, I think it's important that the Democrats run more Pro-Life candidates, so I need to give Casey special consideration.

So, for me, here in Pennsylvania I have the uncommon opportunity to vote for one of two candidates, both of whom I have respect for.

While there are other legitimate domestic issues that are relevant in this election, the most important one for me is foreign policy.

Anyway, long winded but, again, I greatly appreciate your particular conservative opinions. And it's opinions like yours that are helping me form a decision for November, regardless of who I vote for.

Edited by dontracy 2006-09-26 8:50 PM
2006-09-26 8:41 PM
in reply to: #552612

User image

run4yrlif -

But that's just me.

And I'm thankful for that, Jim. 

I think that you are the leaven that helps this board rise in the way it does.

(to mix a metaphor) you do some important pot stirring.  I really appreciate that. 

2006-09-26 8:42 PM
in reply to: #552612

User image

Champion
Alabama
run4yrlif - 2006-09-26 8:16 PM

It is a political board, and I like it because I like talking current events. But that's just me. There are strong feelings here, but i think it reflects the strong feelings in the population as a whole. It's no secret that Bush isn't a popular president, any measure. And it's because he's such a polarizing figure. I think it was Don who said the mark of a good leader is one who stands by his convictions. If I have to say one good thing about the man, it's that he has done that.

But ironically, that's been his downfall. The problem is his convictions, by and large, don't reflect the convictions of the population as a whole. That's why he's alienated democrats and why, more and more, he's alienated those of his own party.

So because of that he gets bashed. It's probably too early to tell, and we're probably all to close to it and embroiled in it to make a subjective assessment. But time will tell if he's the most bashed president. Clinton, despite his popularity, was roundly bashed during his tenure.

And Mike, I know because you've posted this view before that bashing *any* president leaves a bad taste in your mouth because (not to put words in your mouth but I believe this is why--check me if I'm wrong) you see it disrespectful to a person in his postion. And I certainly respect that viewpoint. But lots of us see him as just a man. And because of that, he's open to criticism.

So I guess in summary, before you bash the bashers, ask yourself why exactly he's being bashed. I think it's a bit more than just us disaffected minority liberals whining about not having, as George Costanza would say, hand. He gets bashed because he's so single-minded in his views. He ran, as I said earlier, as a uniter. but he certainly hasn't lived up to that promise. In order to unite, you have to compromise. To consider alternate views. But he hasn't done that. He's had blinders on for 6 years. And while that make him a good leader, it doesn't make him popular.

Nice reply Jim. I'll ignore the post prior to yours becasue that is exactly the the sort of thing I was referin to about the War in Iraq. The garbage that "Bush lied" just makes me sick. There is no proof of this but it is quoted as fact. Nobody knows what evidence he saw and what the classified reports were and it's total hogwash to state this like fact and, more importantly, it does a great disservice and dishonor to those that served and/or died there.

OK, so I didn't exactly ingnore the prior post.

Anyway, Bush is a lame duck and I don't see much sense in bashing him day in and day out.

I have thought for the last few years that the biggest problem the DNC has and why they lost the last election was becasue they had no plan of their own. Their whole DNC platform seems to be based on bashing and trashing the current administration and if they are not careful, they are gonna fall into the same trap again in 06 and 08.

So herein lies the problem - as I see it - with this forum and with the DNC. Running down your opponent will only take you so far. Sooner or later you have to come up with some ideas of your own. There are a lot of smart people in the DNC....ok, maybe not a lot, but surely there are a few.....and the success and future of the DNC depends on whether or not they can come up with thier own solutions and not simply bash the current plans.

I hear this question posed all the time on news shows to democrats and they come back with some general statement. "Well our plan is this. We are gonna find OBL. Then we are gonna make our boders safe. Then we are gonna go attack Al Queda." What the heck does this mean? HOW are you gonna find OBL? HOW are you gonna make the borders safe? How are you gonna attack Al Queda?

So Jim, I challange you to do the same. Resist the urge to continually bash Bush and tell us how you or the DNC would do it better or smarter.

~Mike

Edited by Rogillio 2006-09-26 8:59 PM
2006-09-26 8:54 PM
in reply to: #552634

User image

Champion
Alabama
dontracy - 2006-09-26 8:37 PM

Rogillio - I like politics and debating and I enjoy reading other people's various opinions about a variety of topics but I do NOT like reading the constant Bush-bashing and trashing. But I'm a new comer and it's not my place to try to change the nature of this forum. It seems the fun here is not in debating but in seeing who can post biggest Bush-bash. Well, I usually stand alone in a crowd so that's nothing new to me….but I got really angry this afternoon when my post got censured when the whole board today (like most days) was full of conservative-bashing posts. Don't know if I'll hang out her much longer. Sincerely, Mike

Mike, I hope you decide to stick around. I find your posts very helpful in coming to a fuller understanding of our foreign policy.

One thing I really appreciate about BT, and a reason why I actually consider it part of my required "news" reading for the day, is that it contains a range of really smart people who have had real experience in the real world. And, for me, that includes people in the full spectrum of American political life.

So even though your opinion does seem to be in the minority on this board, for me it carries a lot of weight. It matters.

There are probably a lot of people who read these boards who never post. I bet a lot of them hold beliefs that are close to yours.

So, for me, these political debates, or rants as the case may be, have a lot of import. I'm a Democrat, who tends to vote more as an Independent. Given that I will never vote for a pro-choice candidate at the federal or state level, although not necessarily vote against them, I'm facing a tough decision with the upcoming senate vote here in Pennsylvania.

As you know, it features two Pro-Life candidates, Rick Santorum and Bob Casey Jr. Given that I believe that I can vote for either of them in good conscience, I'm paying particular attention to their position on the Middle-East. Not just Iraq, but the entire situation in the Middle-East which has been going on for a long time.

Part of my dilemma is that I have a lot of respect for Rick Santorum on a personal level. Through having met him and photographed him, he passes my gut check of someone who has principles that he puts ahead of his personal ambitions. When Rick says something, I listen closely. I think, in general, that he says what he believes and not what he thinks I want to hear.

At the same time, while I haven't met Bob Casey Jr., from folks that I know you've met him, I think he would also pass my gut check. I think he is a good and pricipled man. Plus, I think it's important that the Democrats run more Pro-Life candidates, so I need to give Casey special consideration.

So, for me, here in Pennsylvania I have the uncommon opportunity to vote for one of two candidates, both of whom I have respect for.

While there are other legitimate domestic issues that are relevant in this election, the most important one for me is foreign policy.

Anyway, long winded but, again, I greatly appreciate your particular conservative opinions. And it's opinions like yours that are helping me form a decision for November, regardless of who I vote for.

Thanks Don. This mean a lot to me and I really appreciate your thoughtful post!

I learn something everyday on this board and it helps me to be not so closed-minded and it helps me to not put people in boxes. I just learned that there IS such a thing as a pro-life democrat! Yes! There is hope for the unborn!

Take care borther!

BTW, I posted this before but I'll post it again.....if you guys weren't triathletes, I'd of long ago given up on you guys! But I think triathletes are inherently strong willed and stong minded people and you guys are my heros. I went for a 6 mile run at lunch today and the debates I'd been in gave me much to think thru and process.

2006-09-26 8:58 PM
in reply to: #551159

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Hey, count me as another Pro-life Democrat who also happens to be a Southern white male evangelical Christian. Sometimes I feel like that guy in the movie Alien just before the creature burst out of him.
2006-09-26 9:02 PM
in reply to: #552649

User image

gullahcracker - 2006-09-26 9:58 PM Hey, count me as another Pro-life Democrat who also happens to be a Southern white male evangelical Christian.

Well, who woulda thunk it...

a Souther white male evangelical Christian...

and a Northern ethnic Polish orthodox Roman Catholic...

can ya feel the love???

Edited by dontracy 2006-09-26 9:03 PM
2006-09-26 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Mike-

I'm with you about the bashing. I've found that once a thread turns to Bush or Clinton bashing I generally tune out and lose interest because it's not productive. But I also recognize the difference between legitimate criticism and bashing. While I think the president, whoever it is deserves a certain amount of respect this does not mean unquestioning loyalty of all of their policies. If they are doing or saying something I don't agree with I think we have every right, even a duty to speak up with criticism.

I see your point about all the discussion about how/why are we in Iraq, etc. I was getting a bit annoyed just the other day when I noticed it seems like every thread thats even a little political seems to end up at "Should we have gone into Iraq". But I think if you put yourself in the shoes of someone who is against the war for just a couple of minutes you'll see that, from that point of view, in order to look forward, debating the war is valid for two main reasons - 1) accountability - if you feel the war was justified wrongly, entered wrongly, and conducted wrongly you don't see the people responsible for these mistakes being held accountable. Quite the opposite you see them geting medals of honor. And 2) Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Again from the point of view of someone oppesed to the Iraq war, if you think it was a mistake to enter that war you would hope the people who entered it would be able to learn from the mistakes that were made and when you see a parallel course emerging with Iran this takes on even more urgency. That said I'd love to see more discussion of where we go from here. The problem I see is that all the options are just terrible.

I sincerely hope that anyone risking their life in the service of our country, no matter where they are serving understand that even those who may oppose the war support them. It is the people who sent them to Iraq that anti-war people oppose, not the people doing their job there. I can understand how someone returning could be upset when people say they risked their lives (or their friends gave theirs) for a mistake. But if you do believe the war was a mistake you are trying to make it so no one else is killed or maimed for it which sounds like very strong support of the troops to me, just in a different way.

Ok, I'm done.

PS - Maybe there are a few more left leaners on this site but I don't think its quite as lopsided as 87-13. Just that if you are in power you don't have as much to disagree with.
2006-09-26 9:41 PM
in reply to: #552661

User image

drewb8 - Ok, I'm done.

Hope not...

Drew, I've always really appreaciated your level headed posts, and also learn a lot from them.  Keep 'em coming. 

2006-09-26 9:41 PM
in reply to: #552661

User image

Champion
Alabama
drewb8 - 2006-09-26 9:18 PM

Mike-

I'm with you about the bashing. I've found that once a thread turns to Bush or Clinton bashing I generally tune out and lose interest because it's not productive. But I also recognize the difference between legitimate criticism and bashing. While I think the president, whoever it is deserves a certain amount of respect this does not mean unquestioning loyalty of all of their policies. If they are doing or saying something I don't agree with I think we have every right, even a duty to speak up with criticism.

I see your point about all the discussion about how/why are we in Iraq, etc. I was getting a bit annoyed just the other day when I noticed it seems like every thread thats even a little political seems to end up at "Should we have gone into Iraq". But I think if you put yourself in the shoes of someone who is against the war for just a couple of minutes you'll see that, from that point of view, in order to look forward, debating the war is valid for two main reasons - 1) accountability - if you feel the war was justified wrongly, entered wrongly, and conducted wrongly you don't see the people responsible for these mistakes being held accountable. Quite the opposite you see them geting medals of honor. And 2) Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Again from the point of view of someone oppesed to the Iraq war, if you think it was a mistake to enter that war you would hope the people who entered it would be able to learn from the mistakes that were made and when you see a parallel course emerging with Iran this takes on even more urgency. That said I'd love to see more discussion of where we go from here. The problem I see is that all the options are just terrible.

I sincerely hope that anyone risking their life in the service of our country, no matter where they are serving understand that even those who may oppose the war support them. It is the people who sent them to Iraq that anti-war people oppose, not the people doing their job there. I can understand how someone returning could be upset when people say they risked their lives (or their friends gave theirs) for a mistake. But if you do believe the war was a mistake you are trying to make it so no one else is killed or maimed for it which sounds like very strong support of the troops to me, just in a different way.

Ok, I'm done.

PS - Maybe there are a few more left leaners on this site but I don't think its quite as lopsided as 87-13. Just that if you are in power you don't have as much to disagree with.

I agree that society/nation needs to cuss and discuss the policy of war so we don't repeat mistakes. But this war has been going on for what? 3 1/2 years? And we're still talking about whether or not we were we misled about the WMD and "the 16 words in the UN address about yellowcake" and what did this have to do with 9/11 and whether or not the 300,000 Iraqis killed by SH justify the invasion and his subsequent removal.

There comes a time we people just need to agree to disagree and move on. I remain firmly convinced that we did the right thing by invading Iraq. No, it didn't turn out the way I thought it was gonna turn out and knowing what I know now, I'd probably of suggested another course of action. But that's hindsite. There is only so much we can learn from this. This is only so long we can discuss this. Each and every situation is different. Iraq was different from Vietnam and Vietnam was different from Korea and Iran is different form Afghanistan.

[warning, rabit trail ahead]

I made myself a vow years ago that I was never gonna regret anything in my life. I've done some pretty bad things in my life and looking back on them now I can't believe I was ever that stupid but I did what I did with what I knew at the time. We go through life dealing with it as it comes to us and we make decision based on what we know and think and feel at the time. As we get older our paradigm of life changes and it's not fair to second guess past decisions.

~Mike

2006-09-26 10:09 PM
in reply to: #552645

User image

Rogillio - I just learned that there IS such a thing as a pro-life democrat! Yes! There is hope for the unborn!

Just a thought and a question before I call it a night.

Thought:

I believe that working to end legal abortion is really a natural policy historically for the Democratic party. It's about protecting the most vulnerable among us. My father would not recognize the current Democratic party. I think our Democratic party has lost it's moral core and has become the party of personal-rights liberalism, rather than the party of classical liberalism which is so much a part of its history.

Question:

It seems that international intel believed there were WMDs in Iraq. I trust that the President was working from the same quality of intel that, for example, Tony Blair had.

But that aside, it seems to me that the more urgent rational for the administration was putting the neo-con policy of regime change into play. (and I use the term neo-con in it's very narrow meaning of defining people who call for regime change in the Middle-East)

I'm not sure that I can support a regime change policy, but I must say that I find the argument very compelling. I'm thinking here of a policy that would bring regime change to Iraq, Iran and Syria. A way to bring stability to the entire Middle-East Muslim world by helping to create democratic secular states.

What do you think of this regime change policy going forward?

I'm very concerned about what is happening in Iran. I don't see a way around our problems while the government of Iran remains as it is. Frankly, I don't have an answer to the problem.

What do you think?

Edited by dontracy 2006-09-26 10:16 PM
2006-09-26 11:13 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Since this thread appears to be the place for southern white Christian Democrats to "come out," well here I am.  Though not technically southern, I live here now, and for 12 years in various cities I've done my best to live by the Bible as a student of Jesus, and I go to church and live with people who do the same.  And I'm a Democrat.

My thoughts on how to best confront abortion are too lengthy to put in a post I started past bedtime, especially with any coherence!    But suffice to say, I don't think either party's national leadership is barking up the right tree.  Google the 85/15 plan if you're curious, that's from a Catholic group but pretty much is the general direction I'd go, if I were Queen of the World and all of that. 

G'night all.  Peace.

2006-09-27 6:58 AM
in reply to: #552712

User image

Giver
dontracy - 2006-09-26 11:09 PM

Thought:

I believe that working to end legal abortion is really a natural policy historically for the Democratic party. It's about protecting the most vulnerable among us.

Some would argue that the *most* vulnerable is the poor, unwed pregnant rape victim.

To me, the issue of abortion boils down to whether or not you believe an embryo is alive. By the strict scientific definition of life, an embryo isn't. But by the faith-based definition  it certainly is. So, if you're going to legislate against abortion rights, you're legislating by faith and that's a scary thing.

I personally think abortion is wrong. Fo me, personally. But, the fact that I'm a man who will never make a decision for an embryo inside of me makes my argument weak. Add to that the fact that my opinion is based on my faith, and because other citizens natuarally may not share my faith, I don't think the issue should be legislated.

It all boils down to the postulate that you can't legislate morality. I definitely subscribe to that.

<nice hijack, Don>

2006-09-27 7:15 AM
in reply to: #552809

User image

Giver

Re Harping on Bush:

To me, it serves a purpose. A couple of you have thrown around the axim that if you don't learn from history you repeat it. It's that tennent that alot of us keep bringing up the issues with Bush.

Here's a case in point. From the getgo, the Bush administration has been more closed-mouthed than, arguably, any other administration. And the American public, arguably by and large, doesn't like to be kept in the dark. When our questions aren't answered, it smacks of subterfuge; if you're not talking, we assume you have something to hide.

So when it was found that there were actually no WMD in Iraq, it gave credence to the theory the Bush lied as a means to go to Iraq. There were conspiracy theories that the war was an excuse to avenge Bush Sr.'s failure to get Sadaam, that the war was about access to oil, or that the war was about creating business for Haliburton. But the were just theories.

Fast forward to 2005. The Downing Street Memo is leaked and there was now pretty hard evidence that Bush's case for war was fabricated. Congress (both sides of the aisle) and the American public asked the administration for an explanation, but none was given. No administration official ever gave comment about it. So we assume that the information in the Memo is accurate, and that Bush did in fact lie about his case for war. ANd since his case for war was fabricated, we don't know why he really wanted to invade Iraq. So we have to guess.

And you know what they say: once a liar always a liar. So, whenever the President says something (or doesn't say something), we scream "Iraq" and "WMD"and call him a liar. It's a past example used to show that the man, in our eyes, has no credibility. Like the other poster said, there's a difference between bashing and ligitimate criticism. To me, this falls in the realm of the latter.

2006-09-27 7:49 AM
in reply to: #552712

User image

Runner
Ok, to tackle Don's question, since this is something I've actually studied in college (albeit a while ago).

Regarding regime change in the Middle East, I feel that it is something that needs to happen. Considering that most countries modernized countries are not based on a specific religion, I believe that in order for the Middle Eastern countries to move forward both economically and politically, they need to have governments that are not influenced by an outside group. Notice that I didn't say that faith shouldn't be involved. Even in this country, we admit in government to the existance of a higher power. We allow people who have an admitted religious belief be leaders at all levels of government. This is not a bad thing. The difference in our system versus countries in the Middle East is that their laws are based on religious teachings, and are interpreted not with a secular view that takes all faith into account, but with a very strict and narrow one. While one could argue that many of our most basic laws are Biblical in nature (Thou shalt not kill or steal), one could also argue that those same laws make sense from a survival standpoint as well, so they transcend any specific religion. Additionally, I believe that the current regimes are using religion to maintain their power base and economic influence. This is also a cultural issue, not just a religious one. If anyone would like a recommendation on a good book about issues related to the Middle East, read "From Beiruit to Jerusalem", by Thomas L. Friedman. He's a columnist that has written a number of books on the M.E. His other books, "The Lexus And The Olive Tree", and "Longitudes and Attitudes" are good as well.

The issue, however, that we currently face is the how, not the why as much. We are dealing with people whose responses to situations are different than ours, and I don't mean as individuals. This country was founded by people fleeing religious persecution, and we hold individual freedom as sacrosanct. In the M.E., it is an entirely different viewpoint. It is very homogenous, so cultural norms are much more common than in the U.S. Here, we celebrate diversity, and individual effort. There, everyone is the same, and believes the same things (ok, that's a generalization, I know, but the majority are that way). Respect is not gained from hard work, but from one's family. How do we go about convincing these people to embrace a concept that is not just foreign to them, but is considered "weak"? It will take a very long time for this to occur in some places. In others, there is a greater groundswell of moderates that are looking for change. Iran is one of these places. There is a large contingent of moderates in Iran that are looking for external support to take their movement to the tipping point. Many in Iran were excited the U.S. invaded Iraq, because they felt that they would now get some support. Hasn't happened yet, unfortunately.

Ok, this went long, and I apologize. But, sometimes I get on a roll.

2006-09-27 7:58 AM
in reply to: #552809

User image

Champion
Alabama
run4yrlif - 2006-09-27 6:58 AM

dontracy - 2006-09-26 11:09 PM

Thought:

I believe that working to end legal abortion is really a natural policy historically for the Democratic party. It's about protecting the most vulnerable among us.

Some would argue that the *most* vulnerable is the poor, unwed pregnant rape victim.

To me, the issue of abortion boils down to whether or not you believe an embryo is alive. By the strict scientific definition of life, an embryo isn't. But by the faith-based definition  it certainly is. So, if you're going to legislate against abortion rights, you're legislating by faith and that's a scary thing.

I personally think abortion is wrong. Fo me, personally. But, the fact that I'm a man who will never make a decision for an embryo inside of me makes my argument weak. Add to that the fact that my opinion is based on my faith, and because other citizens natuarally may not share my faith, I don't think the issue should be legislated.

It all boils down to the postulate that you can't legislate morality. I definitely subscribe to that.

OK, this is always a easy subject to debate because science usually trumps opinions. First off Jim, the "poor, unwed pregnant rape victim" is the 0.1% of the cases that is often brought up as an example BUT when you propose that only rape victims be allow to kill their baby, the argument immediately changes.

The issue of abortion scientifically boils down to when life begins. And this is a slippery slope. If the baby's is fully delivered from the mother, it is universally accepted that the baby has rights as a human being and is protected. And even a mother who kills her newborn is charged with murder.

So let's back up a few minutes or a few inches with the baby's head emerging. Is this a human life? This is where it starts to get controversial. This is where some pro-choice people say that it is still a mother's prerogative to terminate this baby. This is the dilemma of partial-birth abortion. People don't even want to think about this case and about injecting a needle into the baby's skull to kill it. The argument from pro-choice here is that this procedure must be allowed to 'protect the life of the mother'. Now, I was born at night…but not last night. I yet so read about any case that would justify a partial-birth abortion over an emergency c-section.

Now let's back it up a few weeks to the 3rd trimester. The trimesters are arbitrary division in the first place but some believe it's ok to kill the baby in the second trimester but not the third. This time period usually comes do to the 'point of viability'. At what point does is the baby capable of surviving on it's own? Years ago this point of viability was close to 30 weeks. Now it's not unheard of to hear about 22 week babies surviving. I might be off a week or 3 in my recollection of week but this kinda make the point that the 'point of viability' is a pushing back to the left as medical science increases.

What happens next week when the point of viability rolls back to 15 weeks or 10 week? Heck, they are 'growing' fetal stem cells in the laboratory so it's not inconceivable that this point might roll all the way back to conception.

And this is where many pro-life people think "life begins".

The argument that the pro-choice people make is that it is a "woman's choice" what she wants to do with her body. The argument the pro-life people make is that it is not her body they are trying to protect, it is the life of the baby she created that they are trying to protect.

It always amazes me that the some of the same people that support a woman's right to kill her unborn baby are often the same people who argue that the death penality ought not be admisitered to the murdering rapist.

~Mike

Why the heck do the margins get hosed up sometimes?

Edited by Rogillio 2006-09-27 8:00 AM
2006-09-27 8:07 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
As I am baffled by the amount of Pro-Lifers who are war mongers. You know you ask the question of "when does life begin?" and I too struggle with that answer but even more perplexing is "at what point does the fetus have a soul or is that reserved for that moment when the breath of life is delivered".  Dontracy share your wisdom.
2006-09-27 8:15 AM
in reply to: #552817

User image

Champion
Alabama
run4yrlif - 2006-09-27 7:15 AM

Re Harping on Bush:

To me, it serves a purpose. A couple of you have thrown around the axim that if you don't learn from history you repeat it. It's that tennent that alot of us keep bringing up the issues with Bush.

Here's a case in point. From the getgo, the Bush administration has been more closed-mouthed than, arguably, any other administration. And the American public, arguably by and large, doesn't like to be kept in the dark. When our questions aren't answered, it smacks of subterfuge; if you're not talking, we assume you have something to hide.

So when it was found that there were actually no WMD in Iraq, it gave credence to the theory the Bush lied as a means to go to Iraq. There were conspiracy theories that the war was an excuse to avenge Bush Sr.'s failure to get Sadaam, that the war was about access to oil, or that the war was about creating business for Haliburton. But the were just theories.

Fast forward to 2005. The Downing Street Memo is leaked and there was now pretty hard evidence that Bush's case for war was fabricated. Congress (both sides of the aisle) and the American public asked the administration for an explanation, but none was given. No administration official ever gave comment about it. So we assume that the information in the Memo is accurate, and that Bush did in fact lie about his case for war. ANd since his case for war was fabricated, we don't know why he really wanted to invade Iraq. So we have to guess.

And you know what they say: once a liar always a liar. So, whenever the President says something (or doesn't say something), we scream "Iraq" and "WMD"and call him a liar. It's a past example used to show that the man, in our eyes, has no credibility. Like the other poster said, there's a difference between bashing and ligitimate criticism. To me, this falls in the realm of the latter.

Here's another theory....

Suppose President Bush and his administration as well as Tony Blair and his cabinet as well as some redneck from north Alabama named Rogillio actually believed that we would be greeted as liberators?

Obviously I can't get into the minds and hearts of GWB - only bush-Bashing critics are capable of this - but I can tell you that I believed that we would be greeted a liberators. Think back to the first Gulf War….the Kurds actually mounted a rebellion and tried to overthrow SH. I think the CIA instigated this but then the US left them hanging….literally.

Anyway, a dictator that kills 300,000 + of his own citizens and who sponsors rap-rooms and pulls people tongues out with a pair of pliers and leaves them to bleed to death on the town square as an example to never speak out against the government ought not me missed! Right? Well, at least that's what I thought.

And it's what a whole lot of other people thought too! And that is something like 80%+ of American felt that the overthrow of SH was the right thing to do back when the bronze statue fell. But then the insurgency grew and there was chaos in the streets and the sunis started killing the shites and all hell broke loose and suddenly the percentage of American who thought it was the right thing to do plummeted! But the President and Commander and Chief does not have the luxury of this sort of vacillation. We were there and there was not turning back.

An this is where we are now and it's where we've been for 3 1/2 years.

Here's a favorite exchange that I think is applicable. This is from "The Edge":

Charles Morse: You know, I once read an interesting book which said that, uh, most people lost in the wilds, they, they die of shame.

Stephen: What?

Charles Morse: Yeah, see, they die of shame. "What did I do wrong? How could I have gotten myself into this?" And so they sit there and they... die. Because they didn't do the one thing that would save their lives.

Robert Green: And what is that, Charles?

Charles Morse: Thinking.

~Mike

2006-09-27 8:16 AM
in reply to: #552851

User image

Giver

Rogillio - 2006-09-27 8:58 AM OK, this is always a easy subject to debate because science usually trumps opinions.

I completely agree, but I get a different conclusion. To me, it boils down to exactly when a blastocyst, embryo or fetus becomes a person. Is it conception? hard to prove. Is it viablity? Hard to prove? Is it senscence? Hard to prove.

And that's the crux of it. Until we can scientifically prove when a person becomes a person, it's incredibly difficult to legislate it. Because in doing so, all you can rely on is opinion or faith. And opinion and faith don't hold up when challenged in court.

Edited by run4yrlif 2006-09-27 8:33 AM
2006-09-27 8:32 AM
in reply to: #552841

User image

Scout7 - Ok, this went long, and I apologize. But, sometimes I get on a roll.

It's a good roll!  

Thanks for that insight.  I've been wanting to read one of Friedman's books for a while. Just added From Beirut to Jerusalem to my amazon wish list.

2006-09-27 8:52 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I think that we all truly want to believe that any decision to go to war is right and just.  I can think of no weightier decision than to send our brightest and best in harm's way.

I do believe that President Bush thought the WMD threat was legitimate at the time he made his decision to go to Iraq.  However, I do fault him (ironically) for having "Dan Rather's Disease", i.e., he didn't try very hard to verify his sources.  He wanted to believe want he had been told, so he charged ahead.  So who's fault is that?  The buck still stops at the top.  Going to war, especially a pre-emptive war is too important a decision to be taken without knowing absolutely that you have good intelligence. 

But there's no chance for a "do over".  What's done is done.  We're there and now we have the obligation to stay until Iraq is in better condition than in which we found it.  To me that means building/rebuilding infrastructure; road & bridges, the power grid, water & sewer, schools, hospitals, etc.  However, I also believe that the form of government they establish is up to them.  Our vision of Jeffersonian democracy is not always the solution for everyone and we need to understand and accept that.

One thing that really bothers me is those who think you're not supporting the troops if you don't support the President.  I strongly disagree with that.  I was at AOCS (Aviation Officer Candidate School) in Pensacola during the  final stages of the Viet Nam war.  The frustration within the Naval Aviation community  then was not with the lack of public support for that war, but with the inept, politically-motivated strategy and tactics dictated from the White House (from both Johnson & Nixon), which served only to prolong that war and cost many additional American lives.  Our troops are smart enough to figure things out on their own.  They'll do their duty when asked. It's our responsibility as citizens is to make sure the politicians who send them off to war are doing their job.  If we don't think they are, then it's our right and duty to call them out on it.

The title of POTUS deserves all due respect, but does not confer infallibility.

Mark

(Moderate, Republican, Presbyterian, Pro-Choice, Left-handed, Slow Triathlete)

2006-09-27 8:58 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Even though I'm right handed, I think Mark's post captures my feelings on the current administration's handling of Iraq and the war on terror in general.

2006-09-27 9:20 AM
in reply to: #552878

User image

run4yrlif -

And that's the crux of it. Until we can scientifically prove when a person becomes a person, it's incredibly difficult to legislate it.

In the interested of not continuing my inadvertent hijack, I've got an answer for you here on gullah's thread .

Edited by dontracy 2006-09-27 9:22 AM
2006-09-27 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Yes, good post Mark.

Don - about regime change - I agree that it is necessary but I don't know how we go about bringing it. I feel at this point anything we do in that area that is tied to us at all will just be counterproductive. In the past few years we have seen a dramatic decrease in out "soft" power and this is the power which is needed for regime changes. The people have to want to change and right now I think the US image is so tainted in that part of the world I thikn many of the people there think that whatever we say, they will reflexivly think the opposite is best. Any efforts we make at regime change must be thru manipulation, suble nudges, setting an example for them to follow(!!!!!!) etc. If the Syrian goverment decided we needed a regime change in DC and came here openly trying to oust Bush I have a pretty good idea of what our response would be; I don't think we could expect any different from them.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Clinton rips... Rss Feed  

of 5