General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 65.5 year old first Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2024-08-31 12:40 PM

Subject: 65.5 year old first Sprint Tri
Two of my four kids just finished their first 70.3 in Cambridge MD this past June. While watching them come out of the swimming stage, I observed what looked like a fit 65 year old guy coming out of the water and I said to myself: “I can do this!” My two kinds inspired me too.

A couple of things about me. I just retired a year a go after 45 years behind the desk. During my career I gained 60 lbs (162 to 222 at 5’11”) since I last ran and cycled somewhat competitively at age 40. Since then, I also developed quite a bit of bad joints due to OA in every major joint and found running especially to hurt my knees and hips.

A year ago right after retirement I started weightlifting and eating better to get in better shape, although I did very little cardio other than occasion Peloton ride. I was lifting 3-4 times per week and got my wight down to 210 before stalling out. After the 70.3 in June, I started counting calories to make sure I was in deficit and added 5-6 cardio sessions of swimming, cycling and very, very light running. I have reduced my weight to 189 (no alcohol August helped too!)

I set my goal for Port St. Lucie sprint on December 8 2024. Progress has been slow other than cycling. My cycling has gone very good (for me) and I’m now able to cover my 14 mile loop in CT with 600’ of vertical in around 1 hour exactly.

My swimming has been a major disappointment thus far and surprisingly poor which is surprising since I swam competitively in high school and also played water polo. I cannot get past 25 yards of freestyle with gasping for air. I have tried all the usual drills to help me to no real noticeable improvement. I can though swim 5/8th of a mile in pool no problem with breaststroke and thinking I might have to rely on this for my first Tri.

Running too has been disappointing. I ran long distance in High School and marathon distances in my 20’s. I ran until 40 before having the above mentioned issues with knees and hips. So far my longest non stop slow distance is 1.5 miles. I would not the newer shoes are amazing and so far, no hip or knee issues.

My biggest issues is I am extensively traveling in September and November which means I can only run. And in October I will have a sinus operation which will sideline swimming for 2 weeks. So I have little time to improve.

I feel I could do the breaststroke for the swim section (need to practice in ocean), the cycling is no big issue, and for the run section, I could ultimately run/walk. So I’m still thinking I am going to enter?

Thoughts? My only goal is to finish for my first Tri.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 65.5 year old first Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

One Sprint, Next up Olympic

Started by Alecia
Views: 44 Posts: 3

2024-08-22 2:58 PM McFuzz

37 years old, learning to swim and working toward my first "real" triathlon next month

Started by jcgoble3
Views: 2447 Posts: 5

2024-04-15 5:20 PM jcgoble3

First half Triathlon at 52

Started by Ssktriatlete
Views: 369 Posts: 3

2024-02-28 6:56 AM jmhpsu93

Coming back to Triathlon after 12 years!

Started by Lwoodtri
Views: 327 Posts: 1

2024-01-21 5:44 PM Lwoodtri

Returning triathlete after 15 years off

Started by steventrihard
Views: 725 Posts: 2

2024-01-21 7:41 AM thegoddess