United States
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 26m 25s
Overall Rank = 14/66
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

In the middle of a sprint tri build, lots of running this year so hoping for a decent mid-25s result. Weather is super humid and warm so that's going to slow me down a bit.

No taper at all - just mostly a training race.

Second time running this course...out and back on a MUP so lots of bikes/walkers/etc. The RD reminded us of keeping to the right and being wary of bikes (this would be important later).
Event warmup:

I take forever to warm up for short races so did a multi-step plan of quick ride while here at the house, then did about a mile increasing to T pace with some light sprints at the end. Still a little sore from legs day two days ago - OMG I'm old.

The Plan was to hold just sub-8 as long as possible knowing the second mile is punchy, then hope to have something left in the tank the final half mile.
Run
  • 26m 25s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 17s  min/km
Comments:

Mile One - "Letting It Loose"

Set myself up in the front and like all parkruns they just basically say "ready set go" kind of surprising everyone. LOL My daughter sprinted out quickly to keep out of traffic, I held back a bit but no issues getting up to speed and settling into pace. Breathing is kind of labored but settled down and finished the slightly net downhill mile in 7:48 feeling strong. Didn't catch up to my daughter until about 3/4 mile in.

Mile Two - "I Remembered It Right, This Part Sucks"

Mile two starts with a climb so I burned some matches here then tried hard to stride out the downhill...holding like 8:20 on this mile so far to the turnaround, which I walked a little. Back up in the hill this time not pushing quite as hard, then stride out the downhill as we pass the 2 mile mark 8:28 split. It's really warm out and I'm starting to lose my oomph and focus. One mile plus to go - hang on dude.

Mile 3 and The Kick - "Hanging On Then The Crash"

I'm holding about 8:45 for the first half of the third mile, then we get to one more false flat hill and I push the effort a little and my body is not digging it. This is where my lack of running for almost ten years gets me still, but I did better than last time.

The MUP is busy as usual and with about 0.4 miles left I wind up too close to the edge of the path and catch my right ankle at just the wrong angle and BAM it rolls over HARD and I go down in a heap, landing on my left knee and elbow on the asphalt. I yell out an expletive as I take stock of my body - OK nothing broken, ankle is pretty bad but this is like the millionth time I've rolled this one so I drag myself up and start walking to see if I can put weight on it. Good news, I could, so then I try jogging and it's doing OK. I gotta get to the finish anyway as that's where my car is so I run/limp bleeding as hard as I could and actually held a 7-flat pace the final 0.1 miles.

In at 26:25, beating my result from June by one second.
What would you do differently?:

Hold my line better on the MUP better, obviously. Other than that I was pacing for about 25:45 so would have been pleased with that result.
Post race
Warm down:

A lady finishes about 30 seconds behind me and saw the whole disaster, asking if I'm OK. Conversation goes something like this:

Lady: "You OK, that was a tough spill back there. They have a first aid kit over there if you need it."

Me: "Nah I'm good...just an idiot. I've rolled this ankle like a thousand times."

Lady: "I meant for your bleeding knee"

My daughter finished about a minute behind me for a 5K PR for her, despite going out WAY too fast like her father.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm an idiot. Happy with run progress this year and hoping this doesn't set me back. 24 hours later it's tough to walk on a really swollen, but Advil helps a ton.

Event comments:

It's a free parkrun, what do you expect? It's well-run by really nice people so we'll mix this in from time to time as we need run tests.

Last updated: 2024-09-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:25 | 05 kms | 05m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 14/66
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2024-09-01 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: B&A Trail Parkrun

2024-09-01 9:38 PM
in reply to: #5289734

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: B&A Trail Parkrun
You're an idiot.

But still fastest in the family.

Nice to see progress being made, despite a tumble.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » B&A Trail Parkrun Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

B&A Trail Parkrun

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 354 Posts: 4

2024-07-06 9:08 PM robertChiefsFan

Highbury Fields Parkrun

Started by po
Views: 412 Posts: 1

2024-04-13 9:24 AM po